Hacking How legal is doing a a9lh service?

craftsygaming

Genning for verlis
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeh, just wondering :P

edit: i wouldnt think it would be THAT illegal if i dont add stuff that can download pirated games (aka freeShop, but not FBI, cuz you can add custom apps)

Last edited by craftsygaming,

GoatyTV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You own the hardware. What you do with it is completely up to you. You cannot alter the original licensed software nor load unauthorized applications on licensed softwares. You can homebrew the hardware to your hearts content, but you void any support from the vendor and its affiliates. You are not breaking the law by modifying your device.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
You own the hardware. What you do with it is completely up to you. You cannot alter the original licensed software nor load unauthorized applications on licensed softwares. You can homebrew the hardware to your hearts content, but you void any support from the vendor and its affiliates. You are not breaking the law by modifying your device.
Not true. When purchasing any sort of device, like a phone or gaming console, you are paying for the privilege to make use of it for its intended purposes. You agree to these terms when you purchase the item. It technically isn't yours to do what you want with it due to end-user license agreements and copyrights.

Last edited by Joom,

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Not true. When purchasing any sort of device, like a phone or gaming console, you are paying for the privilege to make use of it for its intended purposes. You agree to these terms when you purchase the item. It technically isn't yours to do what you want with it due to end-user license agreements and copyrights.
What if you purchase it second hand already hacked and free pirated games, without even knowing about them being pirated?

Reactions: GilgameshArcher

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's the biggest lies pirates say all the time, hacking the console itself is against the DMCA (USA):
It criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures (commonly known as digital rights management or DRM) that control access to copyrighted works. It also criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act

The "you own the hardware and you do what you want with it" is complete BS, the fact that no one has been prosecuted doesn't make it legal.

What if you purchase it second hand already hacked and free pirated games, without even knowing about them being pirated?

What if someone sold you a gun that was used to kill someone without you even knowing someone else was killed with it?

What if someone sold you a car that was used to ran someone else over without you knowing?

What if you bought an Ipad an turned out to be stolen? You might still get in trouble.

Of course this are highly exagerated examples but you might still be liable by having something ilegal in your possesion... Being ignorant of the laws doesn't exclude you from following them, but again no one has ever comvicted by hacking a videogame system.

Last edited by Tony_93,

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The process to install A9LH is currently not all that user friendly and takes a good amount of time. I don't see an issue for charging a very small amount for an installation service. Remember you are using tools that home-brew developers made freely available, without them you have no service. You should be charging for your personal time basically. I've done many different hacks for people on different devices and never charged a cent because all I do is follow a tutorial and push some buttons. If developers don't charge a fee for their tools then you really don't have a the right too. Eh I'm kinda playing both sides of this argument.

Edit: I got lost, I don't know anything about the legality.

Last edited by Haymose,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
The process to install A9LH is currently not all that user friendly and takes a good amount of time. I don't see an issue for charging a very small amount for an installation service. Remember you are using tools that home-brew developers made freely available, without them you have no service. You should be charging for your personal time basically. I've done many different hacks for people on different devices and never charged a cent because all I do is follow a tutorial and push some buttons. If developers don't charge a fee for their tools then you really don't have a the right too. Eh I'm kinda playing both sides of this argument.

Edit: I got lost, I don't know anything about the legality.
That's about to change.

Ante0

Trophies
XP
Country
That's the biggest lies pirates say all the time, hacking the console itself is against the DMCA (USA):

The "you own the hardware and you do what you want with it" is complete BS, the fact that no one has been prosecuted doesn't make it legal.

What if someone sold you a gun that was used to kill someone without you even knowing someone else was killed with it?

What if someone sold you a car that was used to ran someone else over without you knowing?

What if you bought an Ipad an turned out to be stolen? You might still get in trouble.

Of course this are highly exagerated examples but you might still be liable by having something ilegal in your possesion... Being ignorant of the laws doesn't exclude you from following them, but again no one has ever comvicted by hacking a videogame system.

How about if you buy a non-hacked 3ds second hand, does the EULA transfer?
I can't find anything about this in the EULA (I'm lazy reading it all).
I'm really just curious. Some EULAs are breached when you sell the device/software second hand.

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The "you own the hardware and you do what you want with it" is complete BS,
Well actually it's not, you can do whatever you want of your property as long as it is not illegal :)
Depending on where you live, hacking will be illegal, tolerated (meaning illegal but you'll not be prosecuted) or legal. In every case it is against the EULA.

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
That's about to change.
But when? 'Cause I could totally imagine OTPHelper 2.0 with just a "Press A to install A9LH" prompt. (Just press that button and it automagically installs A9LH over the course of three hours or so while showing off funky GPU stuff on the top screen.) Well, one can dream... :P

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
it depends on the country. not all places have this 'license' and not 'ownership'.
that can apply for software and digital things, but maybe not physical consoles, even in usa.
you can't mod 3ds but you can mod a car? :) different things different rules. i know what you mean, and some companies want that, but i don't think it applies to their hardware, and even if they want it to and even if they say it, it doesn't mean it will hold up in court.

you don't have to sign a term and conditions to buy the 3ds, to open it.
to sign up for eshop, yes, but that's different.

Last edited by cearp,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Suiginou

(null)
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning