ROM Hack How is the Pikachu colored Pichu made?

404errord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was curious; do they have a new address for this Pichu that comes after all of the other Pokemon, or do they just do a palette swap? I've always been curious as to how this works, and I'd love to try and make a Raichu colored Pikachu.

I'll probably just play around with the rom itself and recolor it once the tools are available and the freeze problem is fixed, but is it even possible to do such a palette swap with just AR codes and be able to keep the hacked pokemon like this when the AR codes are turned off? I doubt it, but if it were possible, I'm sure it would be along the same vein as the Pikachu colored Pichu.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the pikachu pichu is just a shiny pichu. the game looks at the secret and normal ID to determen which pokemon it is.
when the numbers corespond with the event pichu you will unlock the spikey eared pichu.

ps. I think you mean the spikey eared pichu, that one is just a "new" pokemon all together. it isn't tradable and it has a "different" animation (arms crossed)

Ps.. I liked crystal better with the animations. those had at least 5 sprites (different pictures in the animation) now they only have two (like all other DS pkm games)

404errord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh snap, that's right, I totally forgot about the Spiky Eared Pichu. Although I was thinking about the shiny one and I had a feeling it was generally a palette swap. So if I wanted to make a palette swapped Pikachu that would show up on someone else's DS, would that be possible with the right combination of secret and normal ID's? That stuff is beyond me, so I'll just end up doing a palette swap in the sprite files in the future, even though it will only show up on my side of a person to person battle.

I was more curious as to whether it is even possible to make other pokemon like the Pikachu colored Pichu that would be visible on other people's games. Like a Charmander colored Pikachu or a Squirtle colored Charmander. I'm sure it would be a matter of finding out how the game points a pokemon to a palette...

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
404errord said:
I was more curious as to whether it is even possible to make other pokemon like the Pikachu colored Pichu that would be visible on other people's games. Like a Charmander colored Pikachu or a Squirtle colored Charmander. I'm sure it would be a matter of finding out how the game points a pokemon to a palette...
yes and no.
as said earlier, the color is changed simply by tagging the pichu as "shiny"
the other ID's mentioned are simply so HG/SS knows it's the pikachu-colored-pichu-event shiny-pichu and not just a regular encountered shiny pichu
as such you aren't free to make just any color combination that is also visible for other people.

charmander can only be turned yellow, and pikachu can only become tanned(slightly darker color)
a charmander colored raichu however is possible(as raichu is darker itself, it's shiny version is as dark as a regular charmander)

i suggest you check here: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/ what colors are possible.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Stevetry said:
QUOTE said:
How is the Pikachu colored Pichu made?

well wen2 pikachu love each other very much the have sex and do it doggy style and a egg comes out if they are lucky is a colored pichu XD
wtf.gif

Well, it's obviously not a "new" Pokemon, since D/P/Pt are able to have it, but the ear-notch Pichu is. I'm pretty sure there is some typing of variable that gives each Pokemon a certain palette out of the ones in the game, and they just gave it Pikachu's palette. You could most likely do this for any Pokemon, with any palette when the right tools come out.

Poryhack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you ever heard of making a pokemon shiny? That's all there is to this, and as an added bonus it will stay shiny on someone else's game.

If you just want to hack away at the palettes and make them whatever you feel like you will not be able to control how it looks on a non-hacked game.

Spiky-ear pichu is a little bit different scenario. It is treated like a "forme" pokemon. There is actually a separate sprite entry for it in the ROM, as there is for the different rotoms, etc.

thraden

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, if that's the case then with enough knowledge it should be possible to add a custom sprite and make a pokemon that has that sprite. Though it still won't show up in other people's games.

It's a shame that sprites aren't stored with wondercards. Then again why would Game Freak/Nintendo make it easy to mod things for people who use ROMs?

Laughlyn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had an old hex edit type program where u could modify sprites on programs. am sure summat liek that could be used and then added as a patch to make any roms display the custom colored mon like any other game mod/hack

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: