How is the new Generation CycloDs build qaulity?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by dman777, May 12, 2009.

May 12, 2009
  1. dman777
    OP

Newcomer dman777 Advanced Member

United States
    My CycloDs broke. It just stopped working. I cleaned the contacts and did everything I could to make it work but it is dead.

I bought mine about a year and half ago. I would like to know, is the build quality any better now? I am thinking about buying another one but I don't know yet if I should.

2. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    Build quality should be much better now, yeah. The chip shouldn't be protruding from under the sticker too much now, for a start.

3. Santee

Member Santee JalapeƱo

United States
    1 and a half year ago that sound like the first cyclods that had a lot of problems TC have come out with two hardware revisions that have fixed a lot of things the latest one even has kind of a design on it.

4. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Have you tried the paper trick on your old Cyclo?
    Tape a piece of paper on top of the sticker so it makes the Cyclo fatter, and that will cause the contacts to be properly connected to the DS pins.

5. ShiningYoshi1

Newcomer ShiningYoshi1 Member

United States
    it's better, i think. i just got mine two days ago, and although i didn't have the old one this is just like a normal ds cart, no protruding chip or anything.

6. dark42

Member dark42 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What hardware version do you have? I'm just curious if there has been a new revision since I bought mine.
    To find out hold Down + B when the Cyclo is booting. It should say "HW ver: x.xx".
    I have 1.1.

7. leiger

Member leiger GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Fairly certain 1.1 is the lastest hardware. The chip protudes so little that I suppose ShiningYoshi1 may have missed it.

Shining Yoshi - run your thumb over the front of the chip and see if you can feel a slight bump in the middle. Almost impossible to see just by looking at the cart. Would be interested to know what your HW version is as well.

8. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Here's a fact: If you have a black CycloDS, then it's HW 1.1
    The chip always protrudes regardless of the hardware revision, although it's probably much more noticeable in the 1.0 version. The 1.1 version chip is invisible, but if you feel it then you can definitely feel the bump.