How is RetroEmulation going on PS VITA ?

Andorin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi there,

I was wondering: How is RetroEmulation development going on PS Vita ?
I mean, the GBA emulation is still not perfect, whereas as a matter of fact the PS VITA is way more powerful than a GBA.
Still the same for SNES or even NES, still framerate not smooth with some sound problems.

Maybe I'm wrong ? I've been only playing with stand alone emulators for GBA and SNES, but how is it for RetroArch with thoses plateforms ?

And do you know if some guys are still trying to enhance the retro emulation on vita ? Teams that are developing emulators ?

Thanks !

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
i mean every day RetroArch is getting better. mGBA is getting better too.

end of the day emulators are side projects for many devs, so progress is slow.

sad reality is one day a new release might happen and fixes everything or one day the dev might just leave the scene and nothing fixed.

Anderxale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing SNES super mario world kaiso hacks on my Vita by overclocking and using the 2005 core in RetroArch. I'm just learning, but I can time some complicated shell jumps.

I have to use an older core and still overclock for final fantasy vi to keep the audio from skipping - strange to me as the visuals are not demanding.

Currently overclocking solves all my issues. Some people don't see overclocking as an option. Overclocking at the Vita game "Killzone" rate of 400mhz isn't bad for the chip as Sony underclocked it - but it will drain the battery.

It would be nice if the devs could get emulation even smoother, but currently I'm surprised at how well it does work with how little power the Vita has.

I doubt emulation development for the vita will stop in the next 10 years. Specific emulators may stop development, but someone else usually picks up the torch.

Reactions: MKKhanzo and Flame

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retroarch gpsp actually works for GBA these days and is more than fast enough; fullspeed and even room for fast forward. Sadly its compatability is still somewhat limited, but it sort of shows the issue. When your CPU isn't quite up to the task of emulating, a dynamic recompiler really makes all the difference, but those are in short supply when they have to individually target each platform.

Reactions: Flame

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
I still use all the emulators developed for PSP back in the day on Adrenaline to make sure I get a more stable emulation and FPS levels. :yaypsp:

Just to name a few, you have:
  • NesterJ (NES)
  • SNES9x TYL (SNES)
  • gpSP (GBA)
  • DaedalusX64 v1.1.8 (Nintendo 64)
  • PicoDrive (SEGA MD/Genesis)
  • For PSX, you can convert your own PSX games to "eboot.pbp" format and add them to the GAME folder of Adrenaline (just Google it for more info)
Since they all work fine, I can't complain! :D

Retroarch on Vita works fine, but still needs some improvement. And there's still a few devs working on Vita homebrew aiming to improve the existing emulator apps. And those are not too bad at all. ^_^

Reactions: Flame

CheaterExposer777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got locked outta vitashell after I updated retroarch on my ps vita
Im really upset about it and I hope i can get my vitashell back up and running
Im just getting a black screen

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found vita often gets in mode where every app opens to blackscreen... in that case you need to do a full power down and power up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte