Hacking How is NDS Backup Tool 3in1 supposed to write to the microSD?

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ask because I am not being prompted, seeing that as an option, etc after making any kind of backup (be it save or ROM) to my 3in1. It flashes, asks me to shut down, and when I turn it on I'm back to the point where I started. If it makes any difference I'm using the full-sized (not DSL) version of the 3in1 with my AK2i running AKAIO v1.5. Loading GBA ROMs to the 3in1 has worked just fine for me, it's just using this tool to backup that I'm having trouble with.

I feel like there's probably an obvious answer to this, but I honestly can't find it.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
AKAIO 1.5 is a little patch happy, it currently breaks all of roudolph's tools like the backup tool and gba exploader. You will have to boot into AK official firmware to get it working properly, that is the current work around. I haven't gotten around to posting it as a bug in the AKAIO forum yet, I was waiting until they released the 1.5.1.

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, that didn't work for me. I've tried the Acekard official firmware as well as my old R4. Same result. After powering on the second time, I'm either not getting or not seeing whatever is is I have to do to copy the save/ROM from my 3in1 to the microSD.

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I posted a bug report for this to be fixed, we will have to wait to see how long it takes to fix the issue. For now you will have to use the backup tool on the R4 which does work properly if your 3in1 is not a 3in1+. Cyclo Team modded a version to use the backup tool with the 3in1+, the only problem is you need a login to see the link to download it.

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said, tried on the R4. Nothing.

It may help if I knew exactly how the process should work... I've never done it after all. So what's supposed to come after powering off and back on?

Gariscus

Former Team Cyclops Mod
Trophies
XP
Country
how_do_i_do_that said:
Cyclo Team modded a version to use the backup tool with the 3in1+, the only problem is you need a login to see the link to download it.
When did "Cyclo Team" ever create a backup tool for the 3in1+?

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It would be a good time to pick one up even just so to do that. While the wireless transition from G to N is still happening you should be able to pick up a G router dirt cheap.

It is better to have several options available to you rather than trying to get the 1 method that has been giving you problems working. Every method has a drawback. You could have just set it up to dump the rom overnight, its not like you have to constantly keep tending to it.

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look if you don't know then fine, I'll keep looking. But I know this has worked for other people, and there's nothing exceptional about my setup. So advising me to go out and buy another thing is quite against the purpose of this thread.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Poryhack said:
It may help if I knew exactly how the process should work... I've never done it after all. So what's supposed to come after powering off and back on?
You start the backup tool and start backing up the game pak, then once the 3-in-1's NOR is full or the dump is complete it tells you to turn off the DS and start the backup tool again. At this point it should write the contents of NOR to a file on the memory card. If the game hasn't been fully dumped yet the proces will repeat, 32MB at a time until the game has been dumped completely.

Does saving work for GBA games? IIRC, the backup tool uses the 3-in-1's SRAM to keep track of what it's doing. If the 3-in-1's battery is dead, the tool will think it's starting for the first time even after domping part of a game.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The backup tool doesn't work on my Acekard as well. Works fine on R4 didn't try on M3. Bunjalloo doesn't work on AK too but works perfectly on Sakura which is really weird.

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
Does saving work for GBA games? IIRC, the backup tool uses the 3-in-1's SRAM to keep track of what it's doing. If the 3-in-1's battery is dead, the tool will think it's starting for the first time even after domping part of a game.
Now we're getting somewhere! =)

I hadn't actually tried until you asked (wasn't super high-priority to me), but saving does not appear to work. I loaded up Pokemon Emerald through AKAIO, messed around a bit, saved, shut off, loaded again and no save. Unless there's something special I have to do I'd say you're right about the battery.

EDIT: Found and read the guide, I'll check at RadioShack and/or Batteries Plus tomorrow. Sounds like an easy enough fix.

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Confirmed. After a battery replace everything is working great, and to boot the supposed compatibility issues with AKAIO v1.5 seem to be nonexistent. Thanks Destructobot!

how_do_i_do_that, it doesn't seem to be their problem, so I can't blame them.

Poryhack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bringing this back because out of the blue I'm having the exact same problem as before all over again. If I hadn't just replaced my battery I'd say that was the problem, but it's been four days... Is it even possible that it could be dead already? Is there some kind of hardware problem that causes unnecessary draw from the battery?

At any rate, I can confirm that I don't get the "save to microSD" prompt on reboot. Applies to both my R4 running the official firmware and AK running AKAIO.

EDIT: Triple post. =/ I probably should've edited the other two together, but this one really does need to be alone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.