Hardware How is JoyCon-R not a HUGE mistake?..

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm guys, after staring at pictures of the switch for several hours and fantasizing about having one all to my lonely self, I suddenly noticed some thing kind of what-the-fucky..

Do you notice where they decided to place the analog stick on the joycon-R??..
Right in the middle of your palm almost!..
Totally different from wii-u pad that had analog stick above the A/B/X/Y buttons..

Look at this great image for a second:
nintendo-switch-joy-con-r-neon-red-limited-version-switch-.jpg

Now imagine playing new super mario brothers switch, and you know in mario brothers you hold down Y button 99% of the time in the game because for some reason nintendo made walking the default.. Now how are you going to push Y on that thing with out that huge black stick getting in the way??.. It would almost be like in the middle of your palm I think (not quite, but almost).. Or at the very least your hand would be rubbing against that black stick or pushing it, and what if you are playing a game where the analog-R stick controls your view angle or some thing?..

Now I know that you could probably contort your hand to push B or Y with out touching the stick, but having your wrist in that position for that long would get tiring after a while, especially for those of us whom play games for a freakishly long time every day due to lack of friends or social obligations..

The wii-u pad had a good location for right-side analog stick.. But the switch??......Umm.......Did they make a huge mistake in putting it below the buttons instead of above like the wii-u pad has them?..

What do you guys think?.. Just a problem in my own brain?..

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The joycons are pretty small, I think getting a grip on them won't be a problem.

Last edited by _v3,

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think getting a grip on them won't be really hard.
Hmm, I hope so.. But I am holding 3DS and wii-u pad, just to test and see where my hand lays, and seems like on the switch that analog thing would interfere to a relatively high degree..

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Umm guys, after staring at pictures of the switch for several hours and fantasizing about having one all to my lonely self, I suddenly noticed some thing kind of what-the-fucky..

Do you notice where they decided to place the analog stick on the joycon-R??..
Right in the middle of your palm almost!..
Totally different from wii-u pad that had analog stick above the A/B/X/Y buttons..

Look at this great image for a second:
nintendo-switch-joy-con-r-neon-red-limited-version-switch-.jpg

Now imagine playing new super mario brothers switch, and you know in mario brothers you hold down Y button 99% of the time in the game because for some reason nintendo made walking the default.. Now how are you going to push Y on that thing with out that huge black stick getting in the way??.. It would almost be like in the middle of your palm I think (not quite, but almost).. Or at the very least your hand would be rubbing against that black stick or pushing it, and what if you are playing a game where the analog-R stick controls your view angle or some thing?..

Now I know that you could probably contort your hand to push B or Y with out touching the stick, but having your wrist in that position for that long would get tiring after a while, especially for those of us whom play games for a freakishly long time every day due to lack of friends or social obligations..

The wii-u pad had a good location for right-side analog stick.. But the switch??......Umm.......Did they make a huge mistake in putting it below the buttons instead of above like the wii-u pad has them?..

What do you guys think?.. Just a problem in my own brain?..
Wii U is the only device to have the right analog stick above the buttons, in fact when it was first revealed most people complained that the buttons were in such a weird position. Having the analog stick below the buttons is actually better as the right analog isn't used that much so it shouldn't be in the "primary" position.
If you hold your thumb over B and Y like I do, I don't see the placement as problematic, there is plenty of room for your thumb so you don't rub up against the stick (:creep:)
Edit: Your palm goes on the side/rear of the joycon, not on the front.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hmm, I hope so.. But I am holding 3DS and wii-u pad, just to test and see where my hand lays, and seems like on the switch that analog thing would interfere to a relatively high degree..
IDK if you've seen any of the pictures comparing it to a 3DS but the switch is super small, it's like the 3ds in width (maybe a tiny bit less) + the joycons attached to it.

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you hold your thumb over B and Y like I do, I don't see the placement as problematic
Yeah, hopefully it isn't an issue like iphone where the "problem" was "You're holding it wrong!".. Hopefully I won't have to learn how to hold it in a new way just to avoid accidentally moving analog stick..
I guess I will just trust and hope nintendo did lot of testing and that the actual joycon won't be as bad as how the image looks to me.. If nothing else, hopefully most games support pro controller or some thing..

souler92

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
do you really think they would make something after all those years that will hurt your hands? deffinitly not, i think they have thought about it and it wont be a problem:)

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to post one more theory here:

After having thought about it more, I came to a possible conclusion as to the placement decision..
One of the new gimmicky things about the switch is that you can split the joycons up between 2 people and they each have their own miniture game pad.. You see it in all the commericals for it..
I am going to postulate that they might have placed the analog stick there because if they had placed it any where else it would be have become nearly impossible for a person to use that right-side joycon as a controller by its self..
I looked up different images of different gaming console controllers to compare the placement of the analog stick, and none of them that I saw had the analog stick placed as far to the right as the switch one is (unless it was a controller that placed it above the buttons)..
My guess is that nintendo probably knew that the analog stick placement was not 100% optimal while in 1-player mode where you have both joycons, but that they decided to compromise and decided to place it there any way for the benefit of 2-player mode where each person only has 1 joycon..

Reactions: Quantumcat

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Playing with one joy con for long periods is not likely to be comfortable either way unless you have tiny hands. With two joy cons, whether used in a grip or not, the angle of your hands will probably be fine for the stick/button placement.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have huge hands, so I'm a bit worried about it. I got along well enough with the original 3ds, though, so hopefully all goes well.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have huge hands, so I'm a bit worried about it. I got along well enough with the original 3ds, though, so hopefully all goes well.
I just see the split joy con thing as a nice option. It'll work fine for a lot of VC/indie stuff, but I don't think it'll be anyone's preferred control method.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just see the split joy con thing as a nice option. It'll work fine for a lot of VC/indie stuff, but I don't think it'll be anyone's preferred control method.
Agreed. I have no doubt I'll prefer a pro controller. On a different note, I'm slightly surprised there isn't a mic in one of the joycons.

Last edited by osaka35,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Agreed. I have no doubt I'll prefer a pro controller. On a different note, I'm slightly surprised there isn't a mic in one of the joycons.
I think they went with a 3.5mm jack so you could use the same headset in your phone or Switch. So at least they aren't being Apple. Would be nice if USB headsets would work plugged into the dock, but that probably won't be the case.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea its off.
Its more center then the left.
I will say that the right joycon feels better to me sideways then the left.

As a whole tho in the grip it would be more like and xbox controller where the analog dont line up.

It all works out tho.
But it will be to eachs own feel

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
do you really think they would make something after all those years that will hurt your hands? deffinitly not, i think they have thought about it and it wont be a problem:)
I've always felt the DS/DSi/3DS are still too blocky...they should round out the edges...PSP/PSVITA style. Even the original Gameboy Advance had better ergonomics than the whole DS line-up, IMO.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huge mistake? For all 3 of the times that me and a friend actually play with just the joy-cons held on their side... maybe. But realistically, this is an unavoidable issue if any company is going to try and make controllers in such a way. Frankly I'm impressed that they look as nice as they do individually, still I highly doubt there will be many times that I'll want to use the joy-cons individually held on their sides like that.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I don't think it is a mistake at all, it is weird that the stick isn't over the buttons like the Wii U. Maybe Nintendo will make this version later on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: