How is GBAtemp supported financially?

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I pay for the hosting and the domain names, and our partner www.gameyeeeah.com offers me a little money in exchange for putting their logo on the front page
smile.gif

Shaun used to pay Powweb (our previous host) and he also paid for the lifetime IPB license... mega expensive!

The policy of GBAtemp has always been to remain advert-free.
And I swear to you and to everyone, that it will remain advert-free forever.
Because what we care for before all is our members, our community, and we have absolutely no interest in profit.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I've always wondered myself, and even tried to "purchase paid subsription" at one point, since this site is so worthy of my dollar.
It's a very special place, far and above what it appears as on it's surface.

..and his thunderous voice roared savagedly up at the sky,
"Sanctuary! Sanctuary! Sanctuary!"

- The Hunchback of Notre Dame

bow.gif

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We used to be hosted for free on m4d.sm, that was when Kivan and co were active. After they started disappearing we needed independence and control over our hosting so we moved to Powweb, and I paid the 2 years hosting out of my own pocket (about £120). Then we decided to upgrade IPB and all the staff chipped in and we managed to obtain an _expensive_ IPB lifetime licence (about £110).
When Powweb started screwing us around we moved to another host with a dedicated server (Dedibox) and Costello, myself and Thug4L1f3 paid a third of the hosting cost each per month until Gameyeeeah offered to pay hosting in exchange for their small banner on the front page. The
domain names are paid for by Costello himself.

Other than the recommended sites box, and the small GameYeeeah logo, and the links to stores that supplied us with review kits in each review you'll see NO other adverts on GBAtemp. We've always been ad-free, always believed that the members appreciate it and that it's one of the things that makes GBAtemp so special. So we'll always remain ad-free!

Kyro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
We used to be hosted for free on m4d.sm, that was when Kivan and co were active. After they started disappearing we needed independence and control over our hosting so we moved to Powweb, and I paid the 2 years hosting out of my own pocket (about £120). Then we decided to upgrade IPB and all the staff chipped in and we managed to obtain an _expensive_ IPB lifetime licence (about £110).
When Powweb started screwing us around we moved to another host with a dedicated server (Dedibox) and Costello, myself and Thug4L1f3 paid a third of the hosting cost each per month until Gameyeeeah offered to pay hosting in exchange for their small banner on the front page.

Other than the recommended sites box, and the small GameYeeeah logo, and the links to stores that supplied us with review kits in each review you'll see NO other adverts on GBAtemp. We've always been ad-free, always believed that the members appreciate it and that it's one of the things that makes GBAtemp so special. So we'll always remain ad-free!
by dedibox, you mean http://www.dedibox.fr/ ? If yes, who gave his french address to subscribe ?
wink.gif

(From one of the best french internet provider "Free")

Kyro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shaun and costello go out on the street everyday in hobo outfits and a tin can begging for money. They then invest the small amount of money they get and put it in the bank to earn interest. Then using the time machine they created from glued together flash cards, they travel to the future, withdraw their money which has grown to a great sum, and come back to the present. And now you know.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
shaun and costello go out on the street everyday in hobo outfits and a tin can begging for money. They then invest the small amount of money they get and put it in the bank to earn interest. Then using the time machine they created from glued together flash cards, they travel to the future, withdraw their money which has grown to a great sum, and come back to the present. And now you know.
By hobo outfit you mean clothes they wear when they go online KIDDING. I'M JUST KIDDING.

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I remember when that "GBATemp reccomends..." box was initiated, I believe there were a bunch of members saying "Whats next, advert banners?!"

I shall remain a loyal GBATemp member no matter what...well, if the forums end up like gamefaqs/gamespot then i'll have to kill myself >.>

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey, if everybody on this board gave a dollar, you cats would certainly have enough money to hire me.
(for what I dunno...)
Hell, if one person gave a dollor, you'd have enough to hire me.
I'm broke as a freakin' circus monkey over here!

Seriously though, you do have a "Purchase Paid Subscriptions" link in the controls section..
.. what's that for anyway? Vestigial limb?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs