how is a cIOS installed?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by tylerzentz, Jan 18, 2010.

Jan 18, 2010

how is a cIOS installed? by tylerzentz at 6:35 AM (1,051 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. tylerzentz
    OP

Member tylerzentz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ive heard the cIOS installers use the original IOS (in wad form) to create the cIOS and then install it to an unused IOS. ive also heard the wad used by the cIOS installers is the actual cIOS which is placed over an unused IOS. so which is it? or is it neither?

2. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The first is right. The installer takes Nintendo's IOS38 and patches it with new code, then installs it as IOS249 instead of overwriting the normal IOS38.

3. tylerzentz
    OP

United States
    ok thanks bro

4. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    cIOS installation does the following:
    1. Decrypt the IOS contents
    2. Patch them
    3. Encrypt
    4. Sign tmd and ticket
    5. Ususal install process, same as for unchanged IOS

And a cIOS wad is just the same you have after step 4. But it's not created that way, it's dumped from the nand as these files are found there easily.

5. tylerzentz
    OP

United States
    yeah the process makes sense to me now. but what is throwing me for a loop is the last line. you said "and a cIOS wad is just the same you have after step 4." but i dont know what that means. i think you left words out of the sentence. and im kind of drunk too so that cant help.... lol. could you rephrase your sentence to see if my crumbling consciousness can comprehend what you are explaining? haha

6. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    What i wanted to tell is just that the actual install code for IOS and cIOS is the same. The IOS is patched in memory and you have the same in memory as if you would have loaded a cIOS wad.