Gaming How is 3DS going to be remembered in your opinion?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably fondly, as the DS' worthy successor even if the sales never reached the heights of the DS. It of course wasn't perfect, but it was a solid device with a lot of great games, and some truly great unique features. To this day I still find that glasses-free stereoscopic 3D effect to be a big magical, and I'm one of those weirdos that never tired of the effect, 3D was always on for me.

ihaveawindows

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
A handheld with so many memories, well, at least for me, because I had boatloads of memories on my 3DS. Yes, it might not have great graphics, yes, it may be slow at times, yes, it may not be the best, but it's the only handheld I can think of when I'm bored. Also, it's a great platform for homebrew development, I haven't seen this much development since the Wii!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
7/10 handheld.
So utterly average and unremarkable if going by "industry standard" scoring practices?

Though yeah. The last whimper of the Nintendo handhelds being their own distinct thing and not just a watered down console.
Far from anything like as defining in a period than the DS or GBA were in theirs. Not much in the way of must play titles, titles that are essential in their franchises (can you really say you have done megaman, castlevania and various other things if you skip the GB,GBC, GBA and DS efforts?) or best examples of many of said same (see various ports/remakes of 8-16 bit era efforts on the GBA and DS).

The only people that will have it as a favourite console are those that were young enough for it to be their first/main, or new enough/returning to handhelds having last done the GB/GBC and thus it also being their first spin. I still reckon you can comfortably skip the 3ds and just play the DS and GBA library.
If the Vita had not been such a failure, and Android/IOS had actually tried to make a game (if I can emulate a "real" game you can certainly program one) or three and not just squeeze the wallets of the kids to get out all the juice then it would have been even less of a notable effort.

Lodestar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, to me, it's been one of the best consoles ever made. I've been having a hard time moving away from it to play the Switch but it's been really hard to do that. I have too many games on the 3ds to play to really move away from it.

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Throughout my pre-teenager(and some more years during teenager), I always envied 3DS owners. as someone who only had Wii(not even DS), 3DS was my dream. I always wanted to own it, play fabulous 3DS games on it. but I knew that I will never gonna get it from my parents.

Few months ago, when I realized I was old enough to purchase my own things, one of the first pricy thing I decided to buy was second-handed N3DSXL. It kinda made me feel like I was no longer a kid. When I received the unit, It gave me very complicated, mixed feelings...

Even though it really wasn't a part of my childhood, It somehow still holds a special place in my heart.

EDIT: ok that was pretty much off topic, I have no idea why I decided to wtite it like this.

D

Deleted User

It depends on the individual or group doing the remembering, which can be finicky to pin down or generalise.

Personally, I believe it was the real-world push into Augmented Reality that nobody anticipated.

Back in the day, so many people, most of whom are parents complained about Autostereoscopic 3D and how it will damage their innocent newborn's eyes. Yet the same people flocked all the Stereoscopic Cinemas including the upper-end 4D ones right until the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Not to mention every Virtual Reality headgear relies on the same Stereoscopy that these people complained would make people blind; I have yet to see a single Twitch or YouTube Virtual Reality Gamer go blind from this technology, and even the 2021 Mercedes Benz line implements Autostereoscopic 3D into their new Dashboard Screens.

From fringe concept to luxury living.
No other piece of kit brought that forward to mainstream faster than the Nintendo 3DS.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hard to say how a console is going to be remembered. By whom? So-called average people? Members of this forum?

This is a question everybody has to answer themselves. Did some device have a noticeable impact on the personal life? In my case the answer is a clear yes.
The 3DS series (together with the Wii U as TV console) will be the last consoles I ever get – and like the first (Game Boy DMG-001) it will have some special place in my heart. The 3DS is more or less the reason why I'm on GBAtemp (which is one of the few things in my life that is positive).

As for the hardware itself: I know of no other mass-produced, cheap device with an autostereoscopic screen. In contrast to the 3D hype in the TV sector which I disliked with passion because of the glasses, the 3DS offered 3D images in a way I could enjoy them (although few games made really good use of it). Like the Nintendo handhelds before, the 3DS showed that you don't have to offer the latest and greatest(?) expensive hardware to make a good console and good, fun games.

From the perspective of homebrew, custom firmware, emulation… it is next to perfect allowing all previous Nintendo handheld systems (and some others consoles as well) to be carried in the pocket. Some dislike the blurry image of upscaled DS games because of the awkward ratio of the two different resolutions and will prefer a DS Lite or DSi(XL) for DS(i) games. I don't mind it. Not that bad in my opinion.

Lastly: The 2|3DS is the last Game Boy. It was not a nice feeling when the production ended. Game Boy was there for an eternity. Now it is gone.

Baromo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I will always see the 3DS as an upgraded version of the DS. The two consoles are just so similar. The real difference between the two was the 3DS was able to run 3d games (but still outclassed by other consoles running 3d games).
I have the same feeling for the GBA: it was just a more powerfull Gameboy.

My guess is we will have something similar with the Switch in the near future.

Gameboy line (gb/gbc/gba) : handheld console
Nintendo DS line (ds/3ds) : dual screen + touchscreen
Switch line (Swich/??) : hybrid console

LVG

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Remembered is a scary word to me, as in "the 3DS has completely disappeared, some people remember it".

I really hope spare parts will still be available for some time. I only just discovered this gem last year, so I won't remember it because it'll still be around a while as long as possible :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1