how important is disk check?

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by chrisruls00, Jun 12, 2008.

Jun 12, 2008
  1. chrisruls00
    OP

Newcomer chrisruls00 Advanced Member

United States
    Would disabling it for increased boot speed be a bad idea?

2. Nagaroth

Newcomer Nagaroth Member

Spain
    I've disabled it and have no probs at all. You can run it manually at any time anyway.

3. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    It would be even better if you disable it, and run it once a week to see if everything works OK..
    Sakura boots faster if it doesn't have to check disk for errors..

4. MaXiM

Newcomer MaXiM Member

South Africa
    Do you get an English version of Disk check?

5. Nagaroth

Newcomer Nagaroth Member

Spain
    As far as I know the DiskCheck utility has been translated (I mean the one included in the bundle).

6. chrisruls00
    OP

Newcomer chrisruls00 Advanced Member

United States
    ok cool. I was also wondering, I heard the microSD that came with the M3 Real is cheap and causes errors. Is this true? I have an adapter and a SD card reader but going through those steps are annoying. Still if the MicroSD reader could break my card I don't think I want to risk that.

7. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    It won't actually break your microSD (I think that never happened), but it could corrupt microSD card to the point that it becomes unreadable for PC, and in that case, you'll need to format it with a mobile phone or some other computer system!!
    It is more likely that microSD reader will break after some use, and just stop working..
    I'm using mine that came with first batch M3 Real, and I never had problems with it, but the one that came with M3 Simply broke after six months of use..

8. Deletable_Man

Member Deletable_Man Old Man

United States
    The cheap microSD readers in question came with prerelease copies. The English real packages (that came with the slim, black one) have very nice readers. I had some moron pull the business bits out of the casing on mine and bend the bitch. After bending it back some and stuffing it back in its casing, it still works like a charm. [​IMG]

I suggest you turn off checkdisk and then use it whenever you feel you may have a corruption (just as you would do with the Windows utility of the same name)
    [​IMG]

9. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    there are 2 readers commonly sent with the m3real.
    1 i don't know about, all i know is that it seems some effort was done with designing it's casing.

the one i got, basic cheap-feel casing with the text "t-flash card reader"

if you have the t-flash one, trash it.
    it doesn't just feel cheap, it is.
    lasted a week for me before it corrupted my microSD

10. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I would always leave disk check on.

It won't take much time to run it, but it can be very handy to detect corrupting of your MicroSD card. If you do not run the disk check often enough, your MicroSD card might corrupt, resulting in data loss. [​IMG]

11. Deletable_Man

Member Deletable_Man Old Man

United States
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the crap cell phone pic.

This one pictured is what I have. Got two of em total in the house here. They've worked perfectly since November. If it's the same as yours, I can only assume there was a bad batch or production is inconsistent (likely). In that case, people shouldn't immediately throw out the reader as you suggest, because like me, they may have one that works wonderfully.

12. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    that's the one i'm talking about.
    even if it works fine for you, it's quite a cheaply made one.

altough i should check mine out again, somehow my fried rumble-ram already unfried itself.

13. MaXiM

Newcomer MaXiM Member

South Africa
    Yep..... That picture is the same one I got with my New DS Real (2 months old) and it lasted a week and doesn't work anymore... They are reall cr@p and if your stills works, then you are one of the lucky ones... Sandisk readers for the win... [​IMG]

14. Nagaroth

Newcomer Nagaroth Member

Spain
    That reader lasted 5 days for me... and the fucker found it funny to corrupt all the data in my card before dying ¬¬

15. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

Lol, that's why you take backups when using dodgy hardware like that so that when you reformat it you still have your stuff.

16. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    I've got the very same one as Deletable_Man posted picture..and I got it with first batches of Real!
    It works for me since then!! I haven't got any problems with it, and reading/writing sped is great for me (it's even faster than official Sandisk reader I have, and that one is really high quality, you can tell by just looking at it)..

17. mastermanna123

Member mastermanna123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Im just gonna leave my disk check on. it just takes like 5 secs and im in no hurry to play a game in a few more secs

18. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    umm, i thought i heard that checkdisk is only supposed to be compatable with Japan DS's... (see his website)...

EDIT: oh i guess it probably means it only has japanese text?

19. strata8

Member strata8 Look! A pointless distraction!

Australia
    I still use the one that came with the M3 Simply, it still works perfectly [​IMG]