How identical is the PSTV to the PS VITA ?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Radwan126, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Radwan126
    OP

Radwan126 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 19, 2015
    Saudi Arabia
    so as far as i know the PSTV is a VITA without a screen,camera,buttons and anything except for the system.
    i heard that its possible to hack the PSTV with a PS VITA CFW but is it possible to install future CFWs ? and if possible VITA PKGs ?
    because i am planning to buy a VITA but saw that the PSTV is 100$ cheaper so is it worth it ? or shoud i go with the VITA ?

2. CleanSweep

CleanSweep Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2014
    United States
    Central Florida
    The PS TV differs in that it has a USB port that can't be used to connect to a PC (at least without custom firmware) and an upscaler chip (IIRC).

As for CFW, the big problem is pushing stuff to the device, since you can't use a USB connection. You can do eCFWs through QCMA and the like, but Vita PKGs can't be done above a certain firmware (3.20 IIRC), since that has the Package Installer unlocked... and even then, the PKGs need to be DRM free or you have to own them.

Also, you need a PS3 to activate the PSTV without losing any chance of using the Rejuvenate exploit.

3. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I have a Vita but have seen deals that look very tempting, like a PSTV for $45. I wish Sony would drop the PSTV and integrate the functionality into the PS4.

4. Smellyfinger

Smellyfinger Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2015
    United States
    Only certain vita games will work on a PSTV. I wouldn't buy one lol. It's cheap for a reason