Hacking How I Upgraded From Kmeaw 3.55 To Rogero 4.30 v2.05

Looking to update to CFW 4.xx? Already done so? What FW are/were you on? Post spoof/dongle notes.

• CFW ermac 3.55

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CFW geohot 3.55

• CFW rogero 3.55

• OFW 3.55

• OtherOS++

• Total voters

kyannguintoi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I just wanted to know. I'm on kmeaw 3.55 and I would like to update to rogero 4.30.
My question is, i have copied some of my ps3 games disc to the internal hdd of my ps3 using multiman etc.

If I upgrade to rogero 4.30 will my copied games be removed once I updated?

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
No everything will stay there, but if you had patched new games to work on 3.55, you will have to unpatch them by restoring the original unpatched files and/or installing the latest original unpatched game updates.

Moreover, I would recommend installing Rebug rather than Rogero, here's a guide to install Rebug 4.30.2:

1- Make NOR/NAND dump (optional):
Install latest version of multiMAN (4.30.00), plug in a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive into the right USB port, launch multiMAN under Games and go to mmOS > Press [O] on any file > Open in HEX viewer > Press [SELECT] > Press [START] > Export GameOS LV2: Select No > Export HV LV1: Select No > Export FLASH: Select Yes

2- Install Rebug 4.30.2 from XMB:
Download Rebug 4.30.2 from Rebug's website, verify the md5 hash, rename the PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP and put it on your FAT32 formatted flash drive in PS3\UPDATE and go to System Update and Update via Storage Media. Make sure there's no original game disk in the drive and that you don't Update via Internet or else you would risk installing OFW higher than 3.55!

3- Install Rebug Update Package 0.1:
Download Rebug_Update_Package_0.1_4.30.x.pkg from Rebug's website, verify the md5 hash, install it from Package Manager, launch it under Games, follow the on screen prompts, the screen will freeze for a while when you press Yes, do NOT force shut down your PS3 at this stage or else you will get a nice and shiny RSOD! Just be patient and wait for it to finish what it's doing, it will reboot if needed when finished. Once the PS3 has rebooted you can delete Rebug Update Package from your XMB as it is not needed.

4- Enable QA and spoof to 4.40:
Install Rebug Toolbox from Package Manager, launch it under Games, go to Utilities and enable QA. This is to ensure easier and safer downgrading. Now go to Selector and change System Mode to Rebug, this will spoof to 4.40 to prevent accidental updates and allow PSN access. You can also change XMB Operation Mode to Retail and Debug Menu Type to CEX QA to ensure you have the Retail menus instead of the Debug menus which you probably won't need.

Reactions: mechadylan

mechadylan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ Just to add: Rebug's 4.40 spoofer is available for Rogero 4.30 as well. But if you want to avoid spoofing altogether, Rogero 4.40 has been out for a couple of weeks now.

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
I recommend Rogero rather than Rebug.
I respectfully disagree.

Rebug is the most solid CFW out there, it is reliable and stable from release, has lots of features (that you might or might not use), it is Cinavia disabled and is easily downgradable without having to go through downgrader PUPs.

Rogero on the other hand has to release multiple versions of his CFW before it becomes stable (he had to release around 10 versions of his 4.30 CFW and he has already released 3 versions of his 4.40 CFW), this is not good because users have to flash his CFW multiple times which is bad practice. Moreover, it doesn't have any features, Cinavia is not disabled and you have to use a downgrader PUP and dehash if you want to downgrade back to 3.55.

mechadylan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I respectfully disagree.

Rebug is the most solid CFW out there, it is reliable and stable from release, has lots of features (that you might or might not use), it is Cinavia disabled and is easily downgradable without having to go through downgrader PUPs.

Rogero on the other hand has to release multiple versions of his CFW before it becomes stable (he had to release around 10 versions of his 4.30 CFW and he has already released 3 versions of his 4.40 CFW), this is not good because users have to flash his CFW multiple times which is bad practice. Moreover, it doesn't have any features, Cinavia is not disabled and you have to use a downgrader PUP and dehash if you want to downgrade back to 3.55.
Um, source please?...or is this an opinion. And if it is an opinion, have you spent adequate amount of time on both CFWs to arrive at this opinion?

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
Um, source please?...or is this an opinion. And if it is an opinion, have you spent adequate amount of time on both CFWs to arrive at this opinion?
Those are facts and you don't need time on both CFWs to get to them. The source for Rebug's features is www.rebug.me

The source for Rogero's flaws is http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=4705&sid=777886b88e8d8ec1521d74a565152394:

• Rebuilt the CFW with minimal patches needed for similar OFW Stability, also adding full compatibility with multiMAN Tools
  • All known issues from v1.02 are fixed now (XMB PS2 Game Saves, Sequential Video Playback, Media Server always on)
  • Removed Cinavia Patch used on v1.02 because of some compatibility issues

When you release a version and you have to rebuild it, this means the previous version was full of bugs
When you say all known issues from v1.02 are fixed now, this means the previous version was full of issues
When you say removed Cinavia Patch because of some compatibility issues, this means it wasn't working properly and it's not there anymore

You can also check http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=4336&sid=44c5edf5bdb0b02423dc8b454262671e for the changelog of his 4.30 CFW and that he had to go through around 10 different versions to sort his 4.30 CFW out.

Also, the procedure to downgrade Rogero 4.xx is much more complicated and risky because you have to go through a downgrader PUP and dehash, so you would be flashing twice:
http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=4717

Rebug 4.xx on the other hand can be downgraded by just enabling QA and installing Rebug 3.55.4 from XMB. This is much easier and safer.

Do you have any arguments as to why Rogero is better than Rebug??

mechadylan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are facts and you don't need time on both CFWs to get to them. The source for Rebug's features is www.rebug.me

The source for Rogero's flaws is http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=4705&sid=777886b88e8d8ec1521d74a565152394:

• Rebuilt the CFW with minimal patches needed for similar OFW Stability, also adding full compatibility with multiMAN Tools
  • All known issues from v1.02 are fixed now (XMB PS2 Game Saves, Sequential Video Playback, Media Server always on)
  • Removed Cinavia Patch used on v1.02 because of some compatibility issues

When you release a version and you have to rebuild it, this means the previous version was full of bugs
When you say all known issues from v1.02 are fixed now, this means the previous version was full of issues
When you say removed Cinavia Patch because of some compatibility issues, this means it wasn't working properly and it's not there anymore

You can also check http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=4336&sid=44c5edf5bdb0b02423dc8b454262671e for the changelog of his 4.30 CFW and that he had to go through around 10 different versions to sort his 4.30 CFW out.

Also, the procedure to downgrade Rogero 4.xx is much more complicated and risky because you have to go through a downgrader PUP and dehash, so you would be flashing twice:
http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=4717

Rebug 4.xx on the other hand can be downgraded by just enabling QA and installing Rebug 3.55.4 from XMB. This is much easier and safer.

Do you have any arguments as to why Rogero is better than Rebug??
I've never used Rebug so I would never claim that one is better than the other. I've never had any issues with Rogero.

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
I've never used Rebug so I would never claim that one is better than the other. I've never had any issues with Rogero.
I'm not saying you will have issues if you use Rogero, it will work fine, I'm just saying that it's not as good as Rebug and you will have to flash your firmware many times if you go with Rogero because it takes him many versions to sort out all the bugs. Tell me didn't you flash v1.02 first and had to flash v1.03 two days later??

Also, if you ever need to downgrade your Rogero 4.xx CFW, you will have to go through his downgrader PUP and dehash, so you will have to flash twice and you are taking a risk (even if minimal) everytime you flash. If you ever need to downgrade Rebug 4.xx CFW, you just enable QA and install Rebug 3.55.4, so you would be flashing once which is less risky.

mechadylan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying you will have issues if you use Rogero, it will work fine, I'm just saying that it's not as good as Rebug and you will have to flash your firmware many times if you go with Rogero because it takes him many versions to sort out all the bugs. Tell me didn't you flash v1.02 first and had to flash v1.03 two days later??
No, not at all. In fact, I'm still on Rogero 4.30 v2.05 with Rebug's 4.40 spoofer. I've been keeping an eye on the Rogero progress, but frankly haven't upgraded my CFW as I currently have no need to.
Also, if you ever need to downgrade your Rogero 4.xx CFW, you will have to go through his downgrader PUP and dehash, so you will have to flash twice and you are taking a risk (even if minimal) everytime you flash. If you ever need to downgrade Rebug 4.xx CFW, you just enable QA and install Rebug 3.55.4, so you would be flashing once which is less risky.
Personally, I can't think of a scenario where I would have to downgrade so this feature doesn't impress upon me.

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
No, not at all. In fact, I'm still on Rogero 4.30 v2.05 with Rebug's 4.40 spoofer. I've been keeping an eye on the Rogero progress, but frankly haven't upgraded my CFW as I currently have no need to.
OK tell me then, didn't you have to flash v2.05 after being on v2.04 first and probably on v2.03 and the older v1.xx Rogero 4.30 CFW??
Also, tell me one other thing, which 4.40 spoofer are you using?? Oh wait, you've said it already, Rebug's 4.40 spoofer, so you're using one of Rebug's tools after all! This shows you how incomplete Rogero's CFW is and that you still need Rebug to be able to use it properly. You also need another Rebug tool to be able to dehash when you downgrade, you need Rebug's Toggle QA. In other words, Rogero's CFW is not fully usable without Rebug's tools. So why not use everything from Rebug instead of mixing Rogero's CFW with Rebug's tools??

Personally, I can't think of a scenario where I would have to downgrade so this feature doesn't impress upon me.
You might not need it, but other users might. One scenario where you would have to downgrade back to 3.55 is if your BD Drive fails and you would need to extract your root key to be able to convert to DEX and emulate your BD Drive on your USB Flash Drive. You would need to downgrade back to 3.55 to extract your root key because it cannot be extracted on 4.xx CFW.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Rogero (4.21) didn't activate my act.dat plus DLC (by always throwing a decripted content error in XMB .. a 16 byte* address error dump), i've tried at least 30 times activating it through reactpsn, and even rebuilt my act.dat at least 6 times (this by deactivating/activating your account with your current PS3 system, then you have to download a validated package (with your account) from PSN, so the act.dat is rebuilt)

After updating to Rebug 4.30.2 everything was a breeze, so I have so many damn games to play right now, that I prefer coding.

*Stares with happyness at PS2's emulation on non BC PS3 slims <3*

Reactions: mschumacher69

mechadylan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK tell me then, didn't you have to flash v2.05 after being on v2.04 first and probably on v2.03 and the older v1.xx Rogero 4.30 CFW??
Have you even read the OP...or title for that matter?!?! I went from kmeaw 3.55 to Rogero 4.30v2.05. I did this at the end of March before the current Rebug firmware that is out now. At the time, Rogero was the option that I went with and has served me well.
Also, tell me one other thing, which 4.40 spoofer are you using?? Oh wait, you've said it already, Rebug's 4.40 spoofer, so you're using one of Rebug's tools after all! This shows you how incomplete Rogero's CFW is and that you still need Rebug to be able to use it properly.
The Rebug spoofer wasn't around when I installed Rogero as OFW 4.40 wasn't around either. There's no way of knowing who will release what homebrew app to address an unknown OFW update that isn't preceded by fanfare.

Lastly; if it's any consolation, I intend to install Rebug CFW on my next PS3 to see what it's like. I'll be more than happy to agree/disagree on Rebug's superiority once I've personally used both. Honestly, you'll probably be right. I just can't bring myself to claiming that one is better than the other based only on stuff I've read on the 'net.

Reactions: mschumacher69

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
Have you even read the OP...or title for that matter?!?! I went from kmeaw 3.55 to Rogero 4.30v2.05. I did this at the end of March before the current Rebug firmware that is out now. At the time, Rogero was the option that I went with and has served me well.
I'm sorry no I haven't read the OP, it's an old thread and I'm just replying to the latest posts.

The Rebug spoofer wasn't around when I installed Rogero as OFW 4.40 wasn't around either. There's no way of knowing who will release what homebrew app to address an unknown OFW update that isn't preceded by fanfare.
I'm aware of that, I'm just making a point that Rebug is more complete than Rogero, you cannot use Rogero CFW fully without Rebug's tools but you don't need Rogero's tools to use Rebug CFW.

Lastly; if it's any consolation, I intend to install Rebug CFW on my next PS3 to see what it's like. I'll be more than happy to agree/disagree on Rebug's superiority once I've personally used both. Honestly, you'll probably be right. I just can't bring myself to claiming that one is better than the other based only on stuff I've read on the 'net.
Tbh, you won't find Rebug's superiority when you use it because both Rebug 4.30.2 and Rogero 4.30 v2.05 will work fine, it's not about the difference in use, it's about the difference in creating the CFW and getting to a stable and reliable version, it's about the completeness of the CFW and the tools and the professionalism in the work. Just look at Rebug's website, the way they document their release notes, installation notes and updates, you just feel it's a professional team that you can put your trust in.

Anyways, it's good that you're going to install Rebug 4.30.2 on your other PS3, just follow my upgrade guide above and let me know if you need any help. What CFW are you upgrading from?

Reactions: mechadylan

mechadylan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just look at Rebug's website, the way they document their release notes, installation notes and updates, you just feel it's a professional team that you can put your trust in.
Okay, I'll give you that. Kmeaw had no such documentation so I had no problem navigating to another CFW that was just as "renegade" (for lack of a better word.) The Rebug name has been knocking around since the jb days so I'm aware of their reliability.
Anyways, it's good that you're going to install Rebug 4.30.2 on your other PS3, just follow my upgrade guide above and let me know if you need any help. What CFW are you upgrading from?
OFW 3.55

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I'll give you that. Kmeaw had no such documentation so I had no problem navigating to another CFW that was just as "renegade" (for lack of a better word.) The Rebug name has been knocking around since the jb days so I'm aware of their reliability.
Yeah but don't forget that kmeaw was the first reliable and stable 3.55 CFW and was stable from release, he didn't have to release multiple versions.

OK then follow my guide above but skip the first step because obviously you can't make a nor/nand dump on OFW. So just install Rebug 4.30.2 from XMB on top of OFW 3.55 and continue with my guide.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First I have to say I am very very happy to see you around mschumacher69 there are so few people on this that know their shit about PS3 and you are one. Warm welcome to the temp we do need people like you.

That being said I think you can recommend a certain CFW without spitting on the other one. Rogero CFW has always been a lot more stable than kmeaw has ever been. Rogero does not do thing like Rebug and it's ok like that. Rebug take a lot more time to test their stuff before releasing it and if you feel its better than good.

Btw i am curious are you a SEN user?

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the warm welcomes @Magsor.

That being said, I haven't spitted on any CFW, all I'm doing is stating facts. I don't have anything against Rogero and he has done a lot for the PS3 scene and I thank him for that and he has my respect and gratitude, but those are facts that we cannot ignore. He always rushes and releases his CFW as if it's a race and it's always full of bugs when he first releases it and he has to update it multiple times to fix them. This is not good because it's bad for people to keep flashing their firmware. This is a firmware, not an app which would be very easy to update and there would be no harm in updating it as many times as you want.

I believe he should take his time to test his CFW properly and only release it when it's ready (which is what Rebug do) instead of releasing it and updating it multiple times. There was actually no point in releasing an incomplete 4.40 CFW now because everything still works on 4.30 CFW including PSN and latest games.

Regarding SEN, no I don't play online and never sign in to PSN.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...