How I prefer to get around WiiFlow - Poll

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by spacepimp, Aug 25, 2013.

?

How do you get around Wiiflow?

1. I use the source menu and I'm happy with it - devs should not work on sourceflow

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. I don't use the sourcemenu, and may/maynot like it removed

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. I use the sourcemenu, and I would like to see a demo of the sourceflow once 4.1.5 is complete.

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. I don't use the source menu, but would like to see a sourceflow demo after 4.1.5

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. spacepimp
    OP

spacepimp Pathalogical Fantasist

Feb 20, 2012
    Off the Island
    and how do you and your family get around wiiflow currently
    ________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE: SOURCEFLOW IS COMING!!! (thanks fix!)
    Still want to hear your opinions, still want to know if you want to try the sourceflow demo, still want to know if you're using the source menu!
    but ESPECIALLY want to know how you're getting around wiiflow without using the source menu:)
    ________________________________________________________________________________

See SPOILER below for a clearer definition of "SOURCEFLOW" :)

1 I use the source menu and I'm happy with it - devs should not work on sourceflow, and concentrate on something else after 4.1.5
    (If you'd like to, please share what that might be below)

2 I don't use the sourcemenu, and may/maynot like it removed
    (if you'd like to, please share your preference and method of moving through wiiflow below)

3 I use the sourcemenu, and I would like to see a demo of the sourceflow once 4.1.5 is complete.
    Regardless of it initially taking as much as (approx) five seconds to completely load a new coverflow.

4 I don't use the source menu, but would like to see a sourceflow demo after 4.1.5, once the devs have had a nice sit down and a cup of tea.
    (Please also share your method of moving through wiiflow below)

If of course, you don't feel one of the above options describes you, please comment below...

SPOILER: 'SOURCEFLOW' is what now?
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    ithangyou

2. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Not.. really.. the best poll choices there mate! We all know your agenda here and how you're after a source flow implemented, so why not just a simple aye or nay poll?

Personally, since you're asking :lol:, no I'm not interested in a sourceflow. I've just set up a 6th Wii (for a friend), complete with a Priiloader/Wiiflow combo, and made the emuflow for him just a mash up of the games he wanted across the various systems... this mate of mine was a Zelda fan, so having most of them (across the various consoles & handhelds) in the one area on emuflow is the easiest thing for him - telling him he has to figure out which console a certain game is on, then select that console through a similar looking flow, THEN finding the game.... I'm just gonna confuse the poor sod there with that one! ....So really, anybody that uses the source menu often knows what they're doing with this sort of thing: my 62 year old mum doesn't - explaining to her how to exit the different emulators is bad enough in the first place...

Sorry but I just can't see the point.

spacepimp likes this.
  3. spacepimp
    OP

Feb 20, 2012
    Off the Island
    Well the idea is to make it more integrated and not need any setting up. But I suppose that's not that clear!

Those are great options for your mum, don't get me wrong, i'm only talking about adding an integrated option, not something you'd like to at least try?

You are absolutely bang on with the options there, fella, no one will help me edit it!!!!!
    thanks cyan!

I had this idea once about wiiflow handling playlist files, so you could share stuff from the hiddens gems site and your favourite smashemups or whatever, this sites'hidden gems' type thing, the whole zelda series on all the consoles. No one really picked up on the idea tho'.

4. mightymuffy

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Yeah, for us that know our way round the program (a computer, etc etc) there's maybe a benefit to be had from this coverflow - maybe adding a banner for each console/plugin etc when selecting too, nice - but really after doing, ooh, 4 Wii's for people who would just end up confused with the option, it'd really need to be hidden - selectable perhaps only by editing the ini for us 'power users', so to speak.... therefore I've got to ask what's the point really.

Personally, I'm not interested in thousands of roms - just the ones I'm likely to play (in fact my emuflow weighs in at just over 500, still too many!). Also I don't use my Wii for either movies or music. I've also got 2 young-ish sons who fire it up (and aren't 'power users' of course), so no... sorry mon but I'm not even interested in it for myself I'm afraid.... Wiiflow is great the way it is for me. :D

5. spacepimp
    OP

Feb 20, 2012
    Off the Island
    That's a beautifully put opinion, squire:
    Well, to answer your question, I think it's worth it because I use Wiiflow for the scenery and the source menu is like a billboard.
    I completely understand that you find the idea complex, I have gone into great lengths at times ;), but I've designed the idea to be more simple for the end user to setup and use. To hardly notice it's there, really. Can I ask where you think I've failed in that?

6. mightymuffy

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    I don't find the idea complex, I'm just trying to see what your idea would be like, were it implemented, from my 62yo mother's point of view (and a couple of friends I've done a wiiflow setup for that just want to play games.....) But from my mum: she enjoys games from the 2600, SNES, MD/Genesis, Game Boy, others, even PS1 (hell, she even owns a PS2 and plays games on that! Mum has always been disabled - her legs, so games are a great pastime for her).
    Now think about explaining a simple emuflow setup to a 62yo woman: the (old) 2600 plugin, press A twice to enter your game, then A on menu screen, press Home twice to exit.... SNES (retroarch) emu, press A twice, no need to press A as the game starts by itself, then press Home-push Up-press A to exit....N64 emu - need I go on here? I had to write all this down for her, per emu plugin, after giving her the setup Wii for her birthday, just so she knew what to do.
    Me & you can piss our way through these options blindfolded, but my 62yo mum can't, and I'm sure many other wiiflow users can't either. Sure she's got the hang of all that now, but having all the emu games on the one emuflow means my mum doesn't need the source menu - the extra complexity of that would send her over the edge :lol:, meaning she'd probably just get all confused one day with it and give up playing on her Wii forever as a result....

I appreciate you think your idea is a good one, and it could have its uses particularly for users such as you and me (and most peeps here on gbatemp), but as (a bit of!!) a programmer myself I know incorporating this idea would mean changing around a good few things, and for what? A fancy menu that isn't THAT much more use than what we've already got as 'power users' and an extra complication for peeps like my mum. (Plus themes would have to be edited as a result, and think of the themers: that mamule character gets his knickers in a twist if someone sneezes funny from what I've read hehe).
    Then there's the word on the matter by the devs themselves, '100% useless' was it? Maybe it's time to drop this one buddy - it's a good idea, but it's probably just gonna be left as that, and continued talk about it will begin to grate eventually....;)

spacepimp likes this.
  7. spacepimp
    OP

Feb 20, 2012
    Off the Island
    Of course, man from Wigan, too much talk can begin to grate eventually:) (I am from the north-west too). I am about to drop it - I am literally waiting on the main man.
    Again, thanks for the excellently put post.
    but first, Hats off to your Mum! My Dad is in his 60's and I can't persuade him to so much as look at any console!
    I appreciate the perspective, but, in fairness this doesn't really apply to your mum - you've had to come up with a particular solution for her, and what i'm suggesting won't effect that - it may even be that the sourceflow will help your mum conceptualise browsing for games in this way. e.g. moving up or down, towards or away, or simply changing backgrounds or textures when switching between coverflow and sourceflow, could help conceptualise moving through a folder structure.

Most wiiflow users aren't in their 60's, or very young children, and are capable of browsing for games by console, all I'm suggesting is a way of doing this without leaving wiiflow's gorgeous 3D and having to use a (very sophisticated) 2D multi page icon menu. I agree there is a very strong case for simplifying wiiflow- this is designed to be a step in that direction. That these users might still need a custom solution (that they currently need anyway!) doesn't detract from the general users desire for the simplification offered by a sourceflow.

I understand that you feel the source menu is niche - because you don't use it and it is relatively complex to set up - but the idea of a 3D sourceflow is that it integrates into the rest of wiiflow more easily than the 2D source menu.
    Let me explain. I would expect the sourceflow would be easier to skin than the current sourcemenu, because it's exactly the same as an emuflow. I think people will find it easier to simply delete the titles they don't want, and favourite emulators in the same way they do with games. I think users will be quickly able to find stuff all because they're already used to the same interface. It's feasible they could even download the requisite files for a new plugin using the wiibrowser plugin, or even from within wiiflow itself. Perhaps the future might hold banners for the consoles - thiis iis a wii piipe dream, of course - but the point stands - conceptually, and practically, a sourceflow integrates more easily with the rest of wiiflow.
    n.b. the sourceflow barrage will end shortly, and indefinitely. Thank you for your patience.

mightymuffy likes this.
  8. MassiveRican

MassiveRican GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante

Aug 2, 2011
    Creeping in the Shadows
    Nice poll thread, I'm interested in seeing how people move about Wiiflow as well even if it's just to find out where people are at with the source menu. I'm going to link to it in my sig, but please I ask u remove the big bold red font u have, its annoying lol, u can leave it in small font trust me we understand ;)

As far as how I use WiiFlow, well I'm a power Source Menu user, I love everything about it, after showing off my system, all my friends have it set up the same way, and my friends friends and so on and so forth, I like to spread the source menu goodness and I can pretty much guarantee that almost any company I have over can enjoy one of the systems/games I have on display.

I wouldn't mind seeing a source menu demo and might just be the new-ness which could potentially move WiiFlow into 4.5 or even 5.0 territory, we'll see what the future and devs hold in store for WiiFlow.

spacepimp likes this.
  9. mightymuffy

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Really? :D Well you didn't call me a woollyback so you're not from Liverpool haha, neither did you call me a swear word so I'm guessing not Manchester/Blackburn/St Helens either :lol:
    Yeah mum's a bit of a unique case, maybe I should've used my kid bro... He's in the same boat really!
    But I'm picky anyway - you make very fine points, and a fair argument to boot! Good luck with the main man: if he agrees with your proposal - great (as long as hopefully the option can be easily turned off if one wishes)! If not, not to worry ehh...B-)

spacepimp likes this.
  10. spacepimp
    OP

Feb 20, 2012
    Off the Island
    Like all other scousers, guilty as charged
    ;)
    Just wanted to say I love the sourceflow+mios switcher+explorer+et al =4.5+ idea :D
    I would have to rename the 4.5 fantasy request thread tho:O