How Harmful is Social Networking?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Nathan Drake, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2011
  1. Nathan Drake
    OP

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    I recently read one of the more informative, less funny Cracked articles (here), and I noticed a lot of trends among my own Facebook friends (although I suck at self analyzing) that match the research perfectly. I have to wonder about how drastic the effects may really be. The author sounds as if they are trying to pass it off as a cataclysmic event that will mark the total transformation of society as we know it within the next few years. I don't personally think the sweeping popularity of social networking sites is all that detrimental. I'm sure it does hurt though. There are many that prefer hiding behind the veil of the internet rather than risking any form of true social interaction. That is becoming more prevalent, which isn't exactly a good thing for social interaction within society.

First things first, don't walk in and preach about how proud you are that you don't have a Facebook because Facebook is teh devil or something like that.

Actually, that's basically it. What do you guys think about it?

2. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    Anything can harm you only as much as you let it. After all, you have full control of how you use or interact with social networking sites.

3. SignZ

Member SignZ Timelord

Germany
    Exactly.. I mean, why do many people hate social networking sites? It's not like you have to use it or add all personal information that can be added.
    If you add your home address and get strange mail, it's your own fault for adding it in the first place. Same with telephone number and other stuff. If you don't want people to know them, just don't add them. Simple as pie...
    Don't want people to know what you look like? - Don't upload a pic of you.
    Don't want people to know stuff? - Don't mention/add it.

4. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    They can end up in deaths of kids due to lack of attention given to them (even murders) because the mother/father is simply busy on their Facebook account chatting, gaming etc.

5. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    If you're retarded, anything can hurt you.

6. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I think this pretty much sums it up.

7. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    Gambling does this to people but is more addicting and much more dangerous.
    Drugs do this to people but are much much more addicting and much much more dangerous.
    Somehow these things are overlooked when the media focuses on gaming addiction related deaths. (less than 1% as common as drug and gambling related neglegence, just an estimate.)

8. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines

If you're retarded, you shouldn't be on a social network in the first place.

9. pistone

Member pistone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
    Albania
    well the true is that social site hurts you
    you may not fully notice it but it hurts
    there are people who begin to be so addicted to the social network that forget about real life
    or begin to addicted to a certain game on a social network and spend a lot of money there ......... [​IMG]
    hèm sorry about that
    also we think that we post something and only like 5-6 persons see it but is truth that we have like 200 friends .....and believe all of them log in at last once a day
    if im not wrong once posted on facebook that he will be on vacation and hes house got stolen [​IMG]

10. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    If you're retarded, you don't know any better. Which a lot of people seem to be proving.

11. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    It can be harmful when you use it as much as most teens do nowadays. I personally hate Facebook, but I do use it as a medium for talking to old friends or friends I don't come in contact with often.

12. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    I second this, sum up my thoughts exactly

Although on certain people (mostly young teens or egotistic adults) social network can be a safe ground for any kind of personality twists (impersonate and act like you'r famous or gangsta or a bitch or a playboy or whatever but your humble self) .. also those can be real relationship destroyers (who never got sick seeing their bf/gf flirting online? anyone in his/her right mind cuz next usually comes the dating part and here comes cheating/hiding/lying)

13. Nathan Drake
    OP

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Uh, maybe I should have clarified or said to read the article, since that would have helped. It seems like the topic title was read, then people just sort of started posting. I think I'm just gonna have this locked and maybe try again at a later time better explained, or maybe with some forced reading included.

14. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Locked at OPs request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.