Hardware How hard is it to change the EZ Flash IV battery?

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
After finally figuring out that the DSTWO isn't actually an ideal way to play GBA games, and that the only way to play them without huge glitches on a Nintendo handheld was to actually buy a GBA and flashcart, I have figured that I do need to buy an EZ Flash IV (as it's pretty much the only GBA flash card out there still being sold, as well as the 3in1 which doesn't suit my needs).

So how hard is the battery to change? I'd like to buy at least two EZ Flash IV's for linked multiplayer (and I know that it doesn't have RTC for Pokémon :( ), but I don't want them to just stop working forever when the internal battery runs dry. I don't mind a bit of soldering, but I'd prefer to avoid it.

Crimsonclaw111

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
" If you do kill the battery, the battery you need for the EZFlash IV 'Phat' is a Panasonic VL2020. It is a 3volt, 20mAh battery with soldering pins. The EZFlash IV Lite models all use a similar 3v, 20mAh battery, but with smaller dimensions."

Sounds like some soldering is needed, but I don't think it'd be too hard to pull the casing apart to begin with. I've never had an EZFlash though so I don't know what the casing is like.

Source: http://ezflash.sosuke.com/wiki/index.php?title=EZFlash_IV_Tutorial#Common_Problems.2C_Cautions_and_Workarounds

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like it might be easy enough to change. Considering the Slot 2 GBA options out there, I don't think I have much choice :3 Thanks for the help, I actually saw that page but didn't think to search for the word battery.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not something you need to be worried about in the reasonable short-term (5-6 years) ... the EZF IV has been on the market for at least that long, and DIY battery replacement is not exactly a 'hot topic' on the various forums where it is discussed (though it is not hard to find posts from people worried about needing to do it ... eventually).

If a permanent, near 100% guarantee of reliability with a particular game is important to you, then find an original cart (and baby your GBA).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte