Hardware How hard is it to change out the case on the DS "phat"?

DaBurgh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just ordered a gun metal gray shell, just the shell no new buttons, battery cover etc and the tri-wing screw driver and was wondering how difficult it is to switch out the case? I'm picking it up because the DS I got from my gf's little bro has a broken right hinge which is why he got a DS lite I'm assuming. His loss is now my gain and I read that simply switching out the case will fix the hinge. I ordered from "Power gaming parts.com"

I've taken apart my PS2 in the past to clean the laser because of a disc read error so this can't be much harder. I just wanted to know if there was anything to watch for when doing it. I don't want to mess up anything internal. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Fug, I posted this under the wrong forum. Smooth move.
wacko.gif

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
The hinges.
Don't stick them in too far when you're putting them in the new case.
Only make sure the metal part is in sticking out or else the hinge won't turn properly and it'll break after a little while.
Also make sure that you put in the top to bottim screen wire in properly. Its a bitch to get in and sometimes you don't even know if you got it in right.
Also don't force the screws too much either and make sure that you use the right screws in the right parts.
The screws for the speaker are slightly thicker and shorter than the regular ones so if you put any other on in there you'll find it doesn't hold as well and if you try to force it it'll come out the other side which sucks.
And finally, don't forget the little plastic cover thingie where the battery lights are. I had to redo everything because I forgot this part.

DaBurgh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DaBurgh said:
I just ordered a gun metal gray shell, just the shell no new buttons, battery cover etc and the tri-wing screw driver and was wondering how difficult it is to switch out the case? I'm picking it up because the DS I got from my gf's little bro has a broken right hinge which is why he got a DS lite I'm assuming. His loss is now my gain and I read that simply switching out the case will fix the hinge. I ordered from "Power gaming parts.com"

I've taken apart my PS2 in the past to clean the laser because of a disc read error so this can't be much harder. I just wanted to know if there was anything to watch for when doing it. I don't want to mess up anything internal. Thanks in advance.

wacko.gif

Thanks a bunch for the response. I may shoot you a PM when the new case comes in or give you my AIM so if i have some sort of issue, if you don't mind of course you can walk me through it real quick. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine, but stranger things have happened and I've never taken a DS apart before. Thanks again.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
DaBurgh said:
DaBurgh said:

wacko.gif

Thanks a bunch for the response. I may shoot you a PM when the new case comes in or give you my AIM so if i have some sort of issue, if you don't mind of course you can walk me through it real quick. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine, but stranger things have happened and I've never taken a DS apart before. Thanks again.

Your welcome man. I don't mind since it was a nightmare changing my case....
Are you getting an original phat case from nintendo or those chinese ones?
If you're getting the chinese one make sure you also get buttons with it since the shoulder buttons are a different shape.

DaBurgh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xcalibur said:
DaBurgh said:
DaBurgh said:

wacko.gif

Your welcome man. I don't mind since it was a nightmare changing my case....
Are you getting an original phat case from nintendo or those chinese ones?
If you're getting the chinese one make sure you also get buttons with it since the shoulder buttons are a different shape.

Thanks. I also ordered the case from powergamingparts.com and not direct from Nintendo. I didn't realize Nintendo sold them direct otherwise I would have gone that route. I'll be so pissed if this case comes and the shoulder buttons are off. They didn't specify that there would be a issue so we'll see. However they did sell a complete shell with the new buttons but I assumed I didn't need the buttons so I went with just the top and bottom shell portion. I guess I'll find out.
mad.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte