how good would this Laptop be in gaming

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by RevPokemon, Nov 5, 2014.

1. RevPokemon
    OP

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Processor Type
    Intel Core i5-4200U Processor
    Processor Speed
    1.60 GHz, with a Max Turbo Speed of 2.60 GHz
    System Ram
    6 GB
    Maximum Memory Expansion
    8 GB
    Hard Drive Size
    1 TB
    Graphics Card
    Intel HD Graphics 4400 with 128MB of dedicated system memory

How far would that get me in terms of gaming and of emulation?
    Also if there is a better 500 or less laptop please let me know

2. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    I have a laptop with pretty similar specs. I don't do a ton of gaming on it. Mostly Blizzard stuff when I am not home. World of Warcraft at medium plays decently. (30ish FPS) Hearthstone runs fine. (Though its not that hard to run) Doesn't entirely answer your question, but from what I can tell, you can moderately game. Unsure about emulators, but retro systems will be fine. (SNES, PSX, etc.)

3. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    What really holds you back with that laptop is the Intel integrated graphics. The i5 is blazing fast, and the 6GB of RAM is plenty good enough for most things as well as easily upgraded to the somewhat new standard of 8GB. The Intel HD 4400 is really low end as far as graphics go. You could probably pull off high on some older games, medium on most titles from say, 2011 or 2012, and good luck running any big releases past that even on low. My laptop isn't stellar for gaming, but the Radeon 8650G in mine is still much better than an integrated chip set (although this laptop also has one of those).

Personally, I use a Lenovo G505s. I picked it up on Amazon this summer for about $465 after springing for the one day shipping, but I guess it's normal price is normally a touch higher than that (yay Amazon Prime sales). I run games like Borderlands 2 nearly on max without a stutter, as well as Skyrim and a few others. I don't really try emulation much, but Gamecube didn't do so hot when I tried to play the high action Super Smash Bros Melee.

If you want to game on high, I'd suggest taking a hit on the processor and finding something with a dedicated GPU. You will ultimately get better performance in most things.

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    As ND said, Intel's integrated graphics will really kill performance gaming wise.

Honestly, unless you need a laptop right away, you should wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday if you're looking for a good laptop that will be used for gaming. Right now there aren't a whole lot of laptops in your price range that have discrete GPUs (besides APUs, but gaming wise that's not a good idea). The best I've found was an Acer Aspire with a Nvidia 820M, but Acer's laptops are pretty much ass quality wise so I could never in good faith recommend getting one.

So tl;dr wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, or crawl around deal sites.

5. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    Nathan and Tom listed almost everything but I must add that you better stay away from some brands, the primary brands I look are ASUS, Lenovo, Toshiba and HP. they are good and durable and you can find them cheap for what they offer. stay away from:
    Samsung: Samsung is doing pretty bad on almost every electronics they made lately. as a reference I have a friend with a Samsung laptop, has good specs and all but if you start doing heavy work on it even the keyboard starts to get hot.
    Dell: they are cheap and you can even customize them if you go to their page. but the quality of the plastics and case in general is low, you need to be careful while handling Dell laptops or else you'll gonna break it.
    Acer: cheap price but cheap quality too, they are the perfect example of "you get what you pay for".
    I haven't tried more brands but that's what I can say of those specific brands.
    now for discrete graphic cards. try to stay away from the Nvidia 820M, a 840M or 740M are much better. as for AMD GPUs the R7 M260x(note the "x" at the end) or R7 M265 are the way to go.
    I personally have a now 2 years old laptop with discrete GPU+APU and the difference between GPU alone and GPU+APU performance is low. I can get up to 5fps extra but nothing really notable. don't get excited for those things, getting a better CPU is more important, so try to stick to Intel unless you find a cheap AMD laptop with a R9 M275 or R9M270x(again, "x" at the end).