How good is the last of us?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Games & Content' started by eriol33, Aug 11, 2018.

1. eriol33
    OP

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    Hey guys, I am just starting to play this game since I am bored with the games I am currently playing (dishonored death to the outsider and FF XV). the opening seems quite intense and the voice acting is amazing, however I have seen the tropes and the story of this game from endless post-apocalyptic movies out there. does Last of Us still stand out in term of the story? what makes it very appealing?

2. m_babble

m_babble Elder Phantom

Dec 12, 2004
    United States
    It was easily one of the best games I've ever played. I didn't want to stop playing until it was finished and I was ready to keep going after it ended. Few games do that for me. Pop in, bud.

shaunj66 and Biff627 like this.
  3. lafleche

lafleche GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2007
    Netherlands
    Indeed one of the best games I played on the ps3 and bought again for the ps4 (I hoped for massive upgrade on graphics but the ps3 version is pretty good already)
    Waiting for Last of Us 2 announced for 2019.

4. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    The last of us on the ps3 was mind blowing with what they could do with that limited ram. It looked amazing then and now with the ps4 version and a ps4 pro it has so much more breathing room.

The story brings you in with the emotional attachments you get with the characters and keeps you in with wanting to know what happens next. The story is amazing. Intense and fast at some instances, and then quiet and slow at others.

Ive played this game atleast 12 times over because I love it so much. I got my friend to download it from my account so she could play it before TLOU2.

I have a very biased opinion on this story. Naughty Dog knows how to make amazing
    games. I say go through the whole thing. Just avoid online because its trash :)

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Me brother recently finished it and said it was a really good game.
    I played it a couple of hours and have to say the same.

Amazing game! well worth getting.

6. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    No doubt about it. Its awesome game. I loved it and finished it. I still have it. Dont sell it. Keep it after you finished it. :)

Now, I wait for The Last of Us 2. :D

7. eriol33
    OP

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    Ok. I just finished it. The story is actually quite predicatable but it has a very good execution. I haven't experienced such an incredible cinematic experience since batman Arkham city.
    I understand why the game's ending is so discussed. But I feel Sam and Henry's death affected me more since I have an older sister, and it made me thinking, would have happened if either of us were at that situation.

While it's good, but I don't find it groundbreaking and haven't so much attachment to the characters compared to mass effect casts. Maybe I should replay again to appreciate this game's writings

Kafkaus00 likes this.
  8. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I find it a good game but don't praise it as much as everyone else does. Was it good ? Yeah. Was it perfect ? Nope

9. Butterbean

Butterbean Member

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2018
    United States
    One of the most memorable games I've played. Highly recommend it!

10. bungboi

bungboi GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2017
    United States
    IMO, The Last of Us is an absolute must-have. Not only is it my favorite game on PS4, it's also my favorite game in general. You should absolutely get it.

11. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    well reading these comments i might have to play it

12. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    I think the game sucks as it follows the agenda of masculinazing women in violent and gory video games.

Glyptofane and tbb043 like this.
  13. bungboi

bungboi GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2017
    United States
    I can see why someone would say that about the second game, but I don't think they were trying to push any masculinity agenda in the first game. Sure, Ellie was in the front on the cover, but that's about it.

14. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    You're right. I was referring to the second game. I haven't seen the first but judging from the second I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't contain social propaganda.

Last edited by comput3rus3r, Sep 20, 2018
  15. GeraltOfRivia

GeraltOfRivia Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2018
    Italy
    Go and play it Man! It is a very emotional story and so fun to play. Consider that they create the Uncharted franchise, naughty dog are very professional ;) you won't regret it

16. Kafkaus00

Kafkaus00 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2018
    France
    I think it’s a “fine” game. It has some good moments but it’s not really fun to play gameplay wise. The end took me by surprise but I wasn’t that much involved with the characters, i’m still gonna get the second one but may be on sale.

I think it’s a good 7/10, may be 8 (I thought the intro was really nice) but not that ground breaking like everyone said. That’s why i’m waiting to play the new God of War. It’s truly gorgeous though, like really nice to look at.

tbb043 likes this.
  17. radicalwookie

radicalwookie GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2018
    United States
    In my opinion it was very good... BUT not game of the decade material like people like to describe it.
    I enjoyed it a lot though. It saddens me that I have no PS4 to be looking forward for the part 2.

tbb043 and Kafkaus00 like this.
  18. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Story? Yay? Gameplay? Nay.

Watch a good movie and you will have the same experience. Gameplaywise it's ok, but nothing groundbreaking. A lot of small areas to take cover and shoot, or stealth. Repeat that, craft some things and you are done.

19. radicalwookie

radicalwookie GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2018
    United States
    Its still mindblowing how PS3 managed to run it with 256 mb of vram

20. mustafag32g

mustafag32g GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 30, 2014
    Argentina
    It is one of the best games ever made ! No joke mate! Really amazing both gameplay wise and story wise. Play it.. Something nintendo will never let their players experience ;)

Good one for ps no doubt

bungboi likes this.