How good is the CycloDS?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by R2DJ, Apr 25, 2008.

Apr 25, 2008

How good is the CycloDS? by R2DJ at 8:46 AM (8,234 Views / 0 Likes) 63 replies

1. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    OK I'm considering of a replacement for my DSTT because of many reasons:

- Crashes sometimes with an Integral card and a Sandisk card
    - The plastic case is damaged
    - My auntie bought one as well along with an SDHC card. Her DSTT doesn't work on both of our DSes but the SDHC card is fine on my DSTT. (I guess you get what you pay for)
    - I heard that the spring can damage the microSD's contacts

Is CycloDS the best in the market right now? I don't care about the price because I'm concerned about the quality. I've learned my lesson with the DSTT....

Also, are there any major problems in CycloDS? The quality of the flashcart? Any other details will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The worst decision you can make is buying a DSTT for a cheap price.

2. Elisa_

Member Elisa_ GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    It's pretty good. My friend got one as a replacement for an R4. Really good he says.

3. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    I love the CycloDS ... after trying most of the carts out there, the only ones I can honestly recommend to anyone are the CycloDS & the Acekard R.P.G. ... I hear good things about the Acekard 2, but I have not personally tried it, so I can't recommend it.

You won't regret buying a CycloDS ...

The only thing some people bitch about is the cheat functions, and how it's more complicated, but as I have never used cheat for a game, after 30 years of gaming, I don't find that to be an issue.

4. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    CycloDS Evo is the best so far, in many aspects.

5. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    No problems with my Cyclo at all, you'll need a decent SD card as Castlevania: PoR may freeze. I've got a A Data Micro SDHC 4 GB card but any class 6 card will do.

It is a costly set up compared to others on the market but its really worth it.

6. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Will a Sandisk card work (any capacity)?

7. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    My CycloDS is working with sandisk 4 GB class 2 with no problems, even Castlevania: PoR is running fine..But Tony Hawks Downhill Jam has slowdowns, it doesn't freeze, but it's slow!!

8. unduthegun

Newcomer unduthegun Advanced Member

Spain
    1GB and 2GB ones work on mine, never had any problems with my cyclods, I prefer it over the r4 (it hasn't got in-game menu), and the m3 real, which gave me problems reading microsds.

Did I say I love it? ;p

9. Enter260

Newcomer Enter260 Advanced Member

United States
    one thing most cyclo users won't tell you is that there are constant "file system too fragmented" errors. im not sure if its just sdhc cards but my 4gb got it constantly. i guess it's more of an annoyance but it's pretty disheartening to see one when you're trying to load up your favorite game, only to realize that you get the error and can't play it until you go home and defrag your memory card.

10. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Never had that, on what games?

11. sk3tch

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's a known issue that Team Cyclops is working on. Basically, you can get around it by backing up your card and formatting it every once in a while.

It stems from all the features they've packed on thus leading to the OS for the card being a bit bloated. They are using the 1.4 firmware to eliminate a lot of that. Follow the forums at teamcyclops.com...the devs for the card are very involved and update frequently.

My favorite card is the CycloDS. Although I actually love my DSTT, too. I've got an AceKard 2 coming along with an EDGE. Out of all of my cards, I recommend the CycloDS overall and the DSTT for cost.

I have an A-DATA 4GB Class 6 microSDHC that I use with my CycloDS, but with every other card I'm using a Kingston 2GB (primarily Japan, but I have one Taiwan). I recommend the 2GB Kingston Japan since it uses much less battery (3x less power draw than an SDHC). But if you need more space, get the A-DATA.

12. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    I wouldn't say it happens "constant"ly. It used to be bad with 1.3 ; 1.31 is supposed to have improved this issue. I can testify that running 1.4b2 I haven't seen any more "Too Fragmented" errors.

13. Unchi-san

Member Unchi-san Unchi on a stick! yay~

United States
    so from what you are saying, the A-DATA 4gig SDHC/cyclo combo has 3x less battery power than one w/ a 2gig kingston/cyclo? So if you get 6 hours of play w/ the kingston, you only get 2 hours of play w/ the SDHC?

14. sk3tch

United States
    Yes, if you check my post history here you'll find a link that I give to a Team Cyclops staff member who did tests of battery consumption of the CycloDS and the R4. Basically, with an SDHC card the CycloDS used 3x more power than it did with a non-SDHC card (in the test they used a Kingston 1GB Japan). This is why I've switched to using non-SDHC cards. My A-DATA 4GB microSDHC with my CycloDS equals a lot shorter playtime. One could argue that this isn't a big deal since you can just recharge...but for me it's a convenience thing.

It's up to you to decide how much of an impact this information has on your microSD choice. For me, I don't mind having less storage...so I went for the solution with similar performance (the A-DATA simply cannot be beat for speed, but the Kingston 2GB JPN is pretty damn good) and much better battery life.

15. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    That would only be the case if the card was the only thing drawing power. The DS itself uses a good bit of electricity, so the difference won't be that big.

16. sk3tch

United States
    Here's the thread I'm referring to, it has the link to the Team Cyclops member making the power consumption comparison:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=83375

The difference is big...because in both cases the DS Lite system is the constant. I.E. it draws the same amount of power no matter what. However, if you're using a CycloDS with an SDHC card it will use 3x more power than if you were using a CycloDS with a non-SDHC card.

17. Destructobot

United States
    I didn't mean that the difference was insignificant, I meant that a 3x difference in power draw from the card will not result in a 3x difference in total battery life when the DS is also factored into the equation.

18. Unchi-san

Member Unchi-san Unchi on a stick! yay~

United States
    it just depends on how much power is needed relative to the ds lite itself. If the ds lite needs... say 100 units of power... and the a-data uses 3 units of power instead of kingston's 1 unit of power... overall the microsdhc card doesn't make that big of a difference in terms of battery power.

I don't think the microSDHC vs microSD merits any alerts for anyone who is considering getting a microSDHC but is worried about the battery life.

It seems like people are freaking out at sk3tch's statement so I just want to clarify that.

19. Destructobot

United States
    It probably makes a much bigger difference at lower screen brightness levels; I think the DS Lite uses nearly 4 times as much power at the highest brightness level as it does on the lowest brightness.

20. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States