OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just recently bought myself an LCD HDTV, and as I expected, standard def content looks pretty bad on it. Right now I have a PS2 (well, a Gamecube too, but I know there's no hope for that one) and games look just terrible. PS2 games in progressive scan helps out some, but unfortunately only a few of my games support progressive scan.

I had also planned to buy a PS3 to go with the new TV, but just the 40 gig version since the ps2 backward compatibility wasn't a huge deal for me at the time (I'd just keep my PS2.) Blue-ray and DVD upscaling were the main things, and of course a few PS3 games. But now that I've seen how bad ps2 games actually look, I'm not sure if it's such a good idea to give up the backward compatibility. So to those who own a backward compatible PS3, and use it with PS2 games, how good is the video upscaling that it does? Now I know not to expect some miracle, that all games will suddenly be super high def quality. But how are the upscaled graphics compared to how they would look on a standard CRT TV?

I've tried looking for some comparison screens or something online, with no luck. One site had comparison shots between normal and upscaled graphics, but they used completely different camera angles and levels, hell I think they even used a different TV in some cases, so they were worthless comparisons. The other thing was that FFX split-screen video, which I know is outdated and many things have changed since then.

I know the 80 gig PS3 can't really be found these days, but I'm not in any hurry. I'd be willing to spend a little extra and make the effort to get that MGS4 80gig bundle they're releasing in June, but I don't want to spend extra money for features that may not work as great as they sound. So, anyone have some insights on this? or could point me to a place with some good comparisons?

JimmyJangles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The screenshots there help a lot, thanks. At least upscaling seems to remove most of the heavy jaggies, which are by far the biggest problem I've seen so far.

Well, I'm definitely gravitating toward a backward compatible PS3. I just hope that MGS4 bundle doesn't become impossible to get. Or better yet, hope they start selling the standard 80gig again, or an equivalent replacement without them doing something stupid like making it 200gig or something which nobody would ever need, yet making it horribly overpriced as a result.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: