Gaming How good is my computer?

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it has come to a question of curiosity: How good is my computer? I don't really know a lot about the components of a computer. All I know is how to operate a computer and the basic-intermediate knowledge of a computer.

Here's the information for my computer:

Type: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit

System Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario

System Type: X86-based PC

Processor: AMD Athlon? Dual Core Processor 4450e, 2300 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB

Name: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Adapter RAM: 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)

Resolution: 1440 x 900 x 74 hertz

I think that's enough information to determine whether it's a good computer or not. Oh, and I got this computer for $400-600 without speakers.

I am r4ymond

PFE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Processor's a cut-back edition, but perfectly fine for normal stuff.

The RAM amount is fine.

The video card's a piece of shit, but that's normal for non-gaming computers.

I experience lag most of the times whenever I play games, so that explains it. One example is too much smoke grenades at once. That lags me a lot.

xmrnogatcox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a terrible rig IMO.

I personally HATE Compaq, but they have a good price point. They use shit Motherboards.

You didn't say if it was DDR, DDR2, or DDR3. I'm guessing it's DDR2.

Vista is garbage.

If you don't game, and you know some stuff about computers, your rig is mid- to upper-mid level.

The litte temper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am r4ymond said:
So it has come to a question of curiosity: How good is my computer? I don't really know a lot about the components of a computer. All I know is how to operate a computer and the basic-intermediate knowledge of a computer.

Here's the information for my computer:

thats what makes it bad

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Megane said:
Rydian said:
The video card's a piece of shit, but that's normal for non-gaming computers.At least it's not integrated.It IS integrated. It's a multiple-year-old low-end integrated chipset, which is why the gaming sucks.

The litte temper said:
I am r4ymond said:
thats what makes it bad
QUOTE(xmrnogatcox @ Sep 26 2010, 09:04 PM)
Vista is garbage.
http://anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=3666&p=7
There's seven pages of benchmarks showing that XP < Vista < 7 in terms of performance.

The terrible gaming has nothing to do with Vista, it's because he has a shitty integrated video card.

If you don't know fact from fiction, do not post. This is my only warning before I get mean.

xmrnogatcox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
If you don't know fact from fiction, do not post. This is my only warning before I get mean.

The guy never said a THING about gaming until the second post.

READ.

He was asking if it was a good computer, not specifically for gaming.
I'm not going there with you again.

EDIT:
Anyway, who was comparing it with XP? I don't know where you got that, but I didn't say anything about it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
MrCooper said:
XP runs so much smoother than Vista for me no matter what computer I'm usingThey must all be really shitty computers, then.

Of course, my standards of "really shitty" are by today's standards, not 4 years ago. If you only have multiple-year-old hardware, feel free to run XP (as I do on my Athlon XP box) because anything higher is out of the question for the specs involved.

QUOTE(Slyakin @ Sep 26 2010, 09:37 PM) I think the rig is fine, but you don't have the best video card.
No, seriously, it's a total piece of shit video card. It's low-end integrated from 4-5 years ago. It's total shit for modern games.

If he's going to upgrade for gaming, it needs to be the graphics card. Not the OS or anything else.

xmrnogatcox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might want to make sure that your power supply is strong enough for an upgraded video card. I've had numerous customers who bought a GTX 250 or higher or a Radeon 5700 series with a low-end weak PSU. It will crash the PC.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
xmrnogatcox said:
You might want to make sure that your power supply is strong enough for an upgraded video card. I've had numerous customers who bought a GTX 250 or higher or a Radeon 5700 series with a low-end weak PSU. It will crash the PC.
Most definitely listen to this. Never overtax your power supply, as if it dies it could take out other parts in your system with it, permanently.

xmrnogatcox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, if you plan on getting a Higher-End card, make sure your motherboard has a PCI-E 2.0 slot. With a name-brand machine, you USUALLY can't upgrade JUST your video card to a good one. You have to upgrade a component or two more often than not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)