Gaming How good does psx look on a PSP?

isaac17

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, I'm THIS close to buying a psp (touches fingers together), but I just need to know, how good do PSX games look running on the PSP? Do most run at full speed? Any other problems with PSX emulation that I should know about before thinking PSP can play them beautifully?

Thanks guys

AishunBao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSX games look pretty decent on a PSP. I've found ePSXe looking better when processing 3D, but nothing beats the portability of a PSP. You almost never run in speed issues with PSX games. I barely consider it emulation because it runs so well. It's almost as if playing PSX games are a native feature of a PSP. However, you may run into compatibility issues with certain games on certain firmware numbers or what they call "pops." Some games run perfectly on certain firmware versions and an updated firmware doesn't necessarily mean better compatibility. Which is why you get the Popsloader plug-in to load different pops for each game.

I hope that answers your question.

isaac17

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Absolutely, I can deal with the popsloader and stuff, especially if it looks great. Looks like I'll be playing Final Fantasy VII-IX again over the next few months
smile.gif

Thanks man

AishunBao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy VII is perfectly playable 3.71 pops and probably 4.01, except the beginning cutscene when you start the game. I'm not sure how compatible 4.01 but I've heard it's fine.

Final Fantasy VIII is perfectly playable with 3.80 pops except for the beginning cutscene so you just switch to another to start the game.

Final Fantasy IX is perfectly playable with 3.40 pops.

Xandu

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
AishunBao said:
PSX games look pretty decent on a PSP. I've found ePSXe looking better when processing 3D, but nothing beats the portability of a PSP. You almost never run in speed issues with PSX games. I barely consider it emulation because it runs so well. It's almost as if playing PSX games are a native feature of a PSP. However, you may run into compatibility issues with certain games on certain firmware numbers or what they call "pops." Some games run perfectly on certain firmware versions and an updated firmware doesn't necessarily mean better compatibility. Which is why you get the Popsloader plug-in to load different pops for each game.

It IS a native feature? Sony made the POPSLOADER for their PSOne games, Dark Alex cracked that..

xalphax

Internet killed the Ponystar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
Xandu said:
AishunBao said:

It IS a native feature? Sony made the POPSLOADER for their PSOne games, Dark Alex cracked that..

no, sony emulates it, thus its by definition NOT native.

Hammi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
xalphax said:
Xandu said:
AishunBao said:

no, sony emulates it, thus its by definition NOT native.

What are you talking about?

PSX emulation is a native feature on the PSP!

nfrederick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im playing FFVII on 4.01 M33-2 and it plays flawlessly, all the FMV's play perfect, its just like playing the PSX version of the game, even the beginning FMV plays flawless, I don't know where your heard that from.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It looks actually pretty cool. Except PSX games are mostly 4:3 and PSP is widescreen so you either get black lines or stretched image.
Besides that, the quality is quite good.

As for native feature discussion, if official firmware runs PSX games how is it not a native feature?
Maybe some people haven't visited PSN. (Or haven't used official firmware for long)

nfrederick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the only PSX games that you can run on the official firmware are games you purchased from the PlayStation Store. I tried playing my FFVII on an official Sony firmware and got a copyright error. If you want to run PSX games that are not at the PlayStation Store you will have to get CFW.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
That doesn't mean PSX support isn't PSP's native feature.
PSN's PSX game list sucks (recent Japanese PSN list is better) that's why I go with CFW.

Too many US PSN's PSX games are like "I wouldn't have played it back then either" games.

nfrederick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree it is a native feature of the PSP, I was just saying you need CFW to play PSX games that you cant get on the PSN.

BTW big rumor going around that they are going to announce Final Fantasy VII for release on the PSN in the near future...

I could see that happening for sure.

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, it looks awesome. I am replaying Tony Hawk 2 and it works great. Graphics aren't that much better, they are the same as on the psx, but the compatibility is great! You should really try it.
yaypsp.gif

I am having more fun of function like these than the psp games from now, but that's because I am picky.
tongue.gif

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Generally, Normal size is about pixel-perfect in display but is a little small. Original is what I always use, and just stretches it out so the top and bottom match the PSP's screen. Fullscreen cuts off a lot of the picture but it's the biggest setting that doesn't squash the image. Scaled is like FS but squashes everything but it's a full widescreen so you take what you get.

I probably have all of the display names wrong but they go in order, at least on the US PSP. >_>;

isaac17

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
so how do programs like ePSXe play all the games on my 16:10 laptop display, if they don't support widescreen in the first place?

Shyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
isaac17 said:
so how do programs like ePSXe play all the games on my 16:10 laptop display, if they don't support widescreen in the first place?

It stretches the image. The PSP has an option to do the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1