How good are the other media players?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Extreme Coder, Mar 20, 2008.

Mar 20, 2008
  1. Extreme Coder
    OP

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Just wondering, since I kinda hate having to boot into Windows just to convert a video to a DPG file, because none of the converters are in Linux, or can run in Wine (DPGConv has some issue with sound)
    I have heard of DSVideo, tuna-vids, Spinals, and there is probably some others..

How good are they?
    A requirement is being able to convert the video file in Linux [​IMG] And of course, decent watchable quality.

Thanks!

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    If you're looking for a high framerate, then stick with Moonshell flat-out. The others are all limited to 12 fps max. That said, there are a few differences between them.

Tuna-viDS has the advantage of playing straight *.avi files you can playback on your computer without any special tools. As long as you can run ffmpeg (with XviD installed) you can convert in any OS. This player also lets you adjust the audio/video sync by a frame at a time in case they get out of sync during playback. This one is my personal favorite of the bunch, as it plays back some videos I could not convert to DPG correctly with any method, though I must be content with 10 fps in order to maintain a high bitrate (12 is the max but the bitrate must be low to sustain it). You can only launch one file at a time though, which kinda sucks.

DSVideo has a Linux converter application, though it runs DLDI off the ARM7 rather than the ARM9, meaning that it may not work with certain devices out of the box. You'll probably have to use nonstandard DLDI patches provided by them. I haven't messed with this one too much personally, but I know its interface is nice and easy to use. It is the only player to use wavelet compression, so compression makes the image blurrier rather than blockier. This may look better for certain videos.

Spinal's requires Windows if I'm not mistaken, though I'll admit I haven't looked into this one at all.

3. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    So it seems that if I want to have my videos in a decent FPS, I will have to use Moonshell [​IMG]

Ok, does anyone know of any way to convert videos to DPGs (preferably 3) on Linux?

Also, what is the difference between DPG2 and DPG3?

Thanks!

4. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    DPG is just a custom container. There was a guide to converting to DPG on linux on the gbadev forums. I would go there and search.

5. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    I did, but all I found about is DPG0 or 1 :/

6. jpxdude

Member jpxdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I wonder how a .3gp video player would perform on the DS. Obviously the vid quality will suffer a little, but for a quality/performance ratio (possibly 20+fps) it could be really decent.

7. Extreme Coder
    OP

Egypt
    I actually suggested that some time ago, and it was refused, but I can't actually remember why now... :/ I think it was because it was a proprietary format, or it was too hardware-consuming to decode..

8. Gibble

Newcomer Gibble Newbie

Canada
  9. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    DPGConv is the only Linux converter that I know of, but you said you already tried that and had issues with it. Unfortunately, I do not know of any other solutions.

AFAIK, DPG3 was introduced in Moonshell v1.7x due to optimizations made by using the ARM SDT rather than GCC for compiling. Aside from allowing slightly higher bitrates and framerates, DPG3 files may not be anything other than 256 pixels in width, though the height can be anything. Moonshell 1.7x itself does not support videos other than 256 px in width at all. Aside from that, I don't know what the differences are. Possibly better seeking support? Who knows.