How flexible are TWL_FIRM and AGB_FIRM?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by metroid maniac, Jun 23, 2015.

1. metroid maniac
    OP

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    It's my understanding that TWL_FIRM and AGB_FIRM are the two firmware modes responsible for running DS/i software and GBA software on the 3DS.
    How much is known about how these modes work? Would they be considered emulation or running natively? I expect the latter but I'm interested in specifics.

Given that, what exactly can be done in these two firmware modes? Would features more consistent with emulation such as button remapping or save stating be physically possible?

2. Hashtastrophe

Hashtastrophe Wizard

Jan 12, 2015
    Canada
    Yes that kind of wizard.
  3. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Does that mean GW can run the GBA emulator included in VC titles?! And this would be great for pasta so you don't have to reboot it every time. Hopefully it will run near full speed in some games that are less hardware intensive!

Last edited by MRJPGames, Jun 30, 2015
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It does work, it just isn't very good.

MRJPGames likes this.
  5. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    I would like to try this on a few "lightweight" games, I would love to be able to go back to home while playing GBA games and stuff...

6. DJPlayer

DJPlayer Banned

Banned
    May 21, 2015
    Netherlands
  7. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Modding TWL_FIRM and AGB_FIRM to add support for that and things like AR codes should be theoretically possible.
    After all, it's not a pure DS/GBA mode, the home button still responds and you can cancel out of that menu without disrupting the game, so there's still something running in the background.

8. metroid maniac
    OP

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    But then it depends on the amount of control the background process has on the state of the game running.
    If we look at AGB_FIRM and the fact that game execution can't even be paused for sleep mode, then it seems this background process has extremely little control over how the game process can work.
    Forgive me if I'm getting this wrong or are speaking stupidly.

9. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    We can mod AGB_FIRM and TWL_FIRM to give the background process full access, or even spawn a new process just for the purpose of adding more features, so that's not really an issue, it's just a matter of figuring things out. It's all theoretical and I certainly won't be the one to do it, but it is possible.