How fast (or slow, I might say) is the Opera Brows

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Trulen, Sep 30, 2007.

Sep 30, 2007
  1. Trulen
    OP

Member Trulen GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi. I'm looking to get an EZ Flash 3-in-1 so I can use the Browser on the go. And hey, can't beat the price and GBA games.

But, I hear this browser is slooooooow.

How does it compared against a PSP?

And, also, say you were to type in Google, search for GBA Temp, and load the GBA temp webpage.

How long would that take?

I'm just curious. My dad's going to be ordering a CycloDS and buying a DS for himself, and he might want to use the internet (he's selling his PSP. He mainly used it for browsing the internet. And he seen my with my CycloDS and DS.).

So, is it so horridly slow that it's unusuable?

I've done searching, and that's all I've read. (heard a report say it takes a minute to load the yahoo homepage!)

But I know how some people like to bash that which they did not buy. So I'd like to have an honest answer.

2. drtofu

Newcomer drtofu Advanced Member

United States
    Hmm let me just say its one of the slowest things ever. It really ruined webbrowsing for me. For picture heavy sites it would take forever like cnn, even gbatemp! If you really wanted to view the web I use wap sites. Wap is what cellphones use or something. All I know is its dumbed down versions of sites so it loads pretty quick. I mean if you have time and your very very bored I guess it'd be ok if you dont mind the 1-2min waiting times. Its really the ds's fault it wasnt made for this kind of stuff. So really dotn bother unless you want to see minor stuff with lots of text and no pics.

3. DarkMatt

Newcomer DarkMatt Advanced Member

Australia
    For most stuff it's alright. Google is fine, and any pages that are mainly text should work. Pages that have large pictures, such as GBATemp, (don't even try IGN) etc will take a while to load, and be stuttery when scrolling in the section that contains pictures.
    That said, if you plan to use it for email and the odd bit of browsing, the wait times are not overly long that you'd need a laptop. It's definitely not up to par with the PSP browser (the advantage is that it takes much less time to input text), but it displays most pages well albeit slowly. Expect something like 33 - 256k speed in loading pages depending on how much there is to load. [​IMG]

4. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

You can get decent speeds if you disable images

5. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Both aren't that great (PSP and DS), but PSP can handle "tabbed" windows, which makes it much more flexible, and is generally faster and smoother.

I heard the iPhone browser is good (haven't actually seen it in real life though)

6. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    quite slow. but it's acceptable for the occasional web browsing.

the interface is fine, just the loading of webpages.

7. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Can it handle GBATEMP? Could I reply in threads? Add smileys? Add URLs, images, etc.? Or just plain text, maybe? Can I even log in?

8. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Yep I've tried it. Gbatemp works. It resizes everything, but it's able to be navigated and you can reply to topics, etc

9. Zombie_Mario

Member Zombie_Mario GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Even with the images disabled the browser was slow for me.

10. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    it is ok, it takes a while to render the whole page, but still, I can surf through it while it loads.

11. roguetrip

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    its slow, you can use it on gbatemp, even use and reply through the forums, no downloading of course, no movie watching either. Even with images its slow.

I was reading that DShobo web brower has a server that sits on the computer that it connects into, and hear its pretty fast, so i dunno if the server reconverts all the pictures before you get the content on the DS, but i am going to look into it more later. just a suggestion and maybe a solution to opera's slow web browser!

12. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    i think you mean dshobro rouge

lol@dshobo

13. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Edit:Double Post, Sorry

14. Tuddles

Member Tuddles GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    To load ign it takes me about 3 minutes for the main page and it's loaded with stuff.

It be faster to carry a laptop and boot it up before you can load a page on the DS one lol.

15. mkoo

Member mkoo GBAtemp Fan

Turkey
    Is it worse then Opera Mini..

self answer

But Opera for DS directly connects to web page [​IMG]

16. BakuFunn

Member BakuFunn Flameproof.

United States
    Opera Ds-
    Dont use it for pictures.

17. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I consider it about on-par with a 56k modem. I never messed with a PSP to provide any kind of comparison to that.

18. hollabackitsobi

Member hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Ummm...why do people hype up the PSP browser so much? It really isn't that much better. Granted, it's free, but isn't all THAT great. SInce I've used both very extensively, I'll give you the pros and cons of each.

PSP
    Pros
    -Can access WPA encrypted networks
    -Tabbed browsing
    -Loads medium picture sites quickly and well

Cons
    -Runs out of memory in places the DS browser doesn't (even though with the EZ Flash 3 in 1, the DS browser has 12 MB less RAM than the PSP, and I don't even know if the DS uses all of the EZ Flash's available RAM)
    -Displays pages weirdly sometimes, but you can fiddle around with the settings to see what's best for you
    -The analog nub works great as a mouse pointer, but you can only scroll using the D-pad, instead of just using the analog stick to scroll the page by going to the borders

DS browser
    Pros
    -VERY rarely runs low on memory, such as on sites like Facebook(the PSP browser won't even attempt to load it, just gives a "not enough memory" message, while the DS browser does load it)
    -touch screen is obviously very well suited to browsing
    -NOT as slow as people say, I surf IGN sometimes (albeit with images disabled), and use it for checking GBATemp a lot. It isn't a computer browser, so DO NOT expect that level of speed.

Cons
    -I hate calling this a pro and con, but the con part is that it is indeed slower than the PSP browser
    -only WEP encryption enabled, no WPA
    -very overpriced retail (not a con for flashcart owners)

Summary: I'd keep both with me at all times, because PSP is good to whip out for slightly faster browsing on sites you know have a small to medium amount of pictures, and it's also Flash enabled (albeit a VERY older version). DS is good for picture heavy sites that you don't mind waiting a while for, touch screen interface is nice as well.