How far should I push my q6600??? 3.4!!!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by WeaponXxX, Sep 15, 2007.

1. WeaponXxX
    OP

WeaponXxX Too F'in Blonde

Nov 4, 2004
    United States
    Currently in Chicagoooooooo
    Well I built my rig with every intention of NOT overclocking...so my memory is DD800 with 4.4.4 timings...Right now I have my CPU overclocked from 2.4 to 2.8 ... with no voltage bump. How high should I go??

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I assume you are doing the usual prime95 stability tests (there is little that more frustrating than a hangup 5 minutes from the end of an encode even more as you do it for a living).

Given the intensive nature of video I would not push it much above 3- 3.2 GHz on a stock cooler, that is likely to require a bump of 0.1V as well.

On a decent cooler (probably not air based, or if it is air cooling it will be very large and probably very expensive) and case layout I would probably drop the RAM timings a bit if you are running it linked (maybe set a few to 5 or even 6) I day say 3.5 GHz is not out of the question.

This being said overclocking should be definitely be done in baby steps when you get this "extreme".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice