Gaming How exactly did the PS3 fuck up it's launch?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,089
  • Replies 16
D

Deleted User

OP
I was still a bit young when the PS3 came out, was a Nintendo fan and had limited internet access. Every now and then I hear that the PS3 spent it's entire lifetime recovering from a shit launch. Where did Sony fuck up? All I can remember is people bitching about the price and Sony saying something along the lines of the price is justified by the product's quality.

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was still a bit young when the PS3 came out, was a Nintendo fan and had limited internet access. Every now and then I hear that the PS3 spent it's entire lifetime recovering from a shit launch. Where did Sony fuck up? All I can remember is people bitching about the price and Sony saying something along the lines of the price is justified by the product's quality.
Selling the console £200 more expensive than the x360. Making a loss on every console they made. But half way through the cycle and near the end it will selling more than x360 due to the exclusives.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
They shipped the PS3 at a loss, because it had the world's first-gen Blu-ray drives in them... Even at $600 Sony lost money with each sale for a while. It was brand new tech. The R&D costs for the monstrous CELL CPU was also a nightmare. Devs hated working on the PS3.

DaTank45

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They shipped the PS3 at a loss, because it had the world's first-gen Blu-ray drives in them... Even at $600 Sony lost money with each sale for a while. It was brand new tech. The R&D costs for the monstrous CELL CPU was also a nightmare. Devs hated working on the PS3.
I believe the cost for Sony per console was $900 and sold at $600 but as far as I know that was a common theme amongst Microsoft and Sony. I don’t believe either one of them sold a console for a profit until the ps4 and xb1.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A huge part of it was that they were loosing a lot per console manufactured but the worst part was they opted to use cheap solder To help cut costs (do to the already huge losses.) this in its self would have been fine if the machines weren't so prone to overheating problems that often caused this cheap solder to break breaking the connection between the board and the CPU/GPU. Do to the already large loss on the machines they would also not honor the warranty for this particular issue.

Reactions: DaTank45

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wouldnt say the console was a shit launch, it was selling rather well, the downfall was the console was more expensive and harder for devs to work on.

but its great to see that these consoles are still selling today, where is the wii, long gone.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i wouldnt say the console was a shit launch, it was selling rather well, the downfall was the console was more expensive and harder for devs to work on.

but its great to see that these consoles are still selling today, where is the wii, long gone.
wii outsold both ps3 and xbox360 lol an you still see wii games on stores atleast here since wiiu could play wii games even.

ps3 or xbox360 will never reach the wiis 100+ million sold, and heck selling over 100 million it did its job and a huge amount of money, ps4 is on roue to beat wiis 100 million, lets see if it reaches it, ofcourse the unbeatable record that no one will break is the 150+ million ps2 consoles :P

Reactions: DaTank45

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wii outsold both ps3 and xbox360 lol an you still see wii games on stores atleast here since wiiu could play wii games even.

ps3 or xbox360 will never reach the wiis 100+ million sold, and heck selling over 100 million it did its job and a huge amount of money, ps4 is on roue to beat wiis 100 million, lets see if it reaches it, ofcourse the unbeatable record that no one will break is the 150+ million ps2 consoles :P
you completely missed the point, the wii is long gone and dead.

the ps3 is still selling, sure its dying down now but hell its one thing when it comes to sony and microsoft, its consoles are for as long as possible, nintendo brag when its off to a good start but never keeps its momentum.

nintendo consoles are killed off pretty much as soon as the new one comes out, likely because the one before it was such old hardware.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
you completely missed the point, the wii is long gone and dead.

the ps3 is still selling, sure its dying down now but hell its one thing when it comes to sony and microsoft, its consoles are for as long as possible, nintendo brag when its off to a good start but never keeps its momentum.

nintendo consoles are killed off pretty much as soon as the new one comes out, likely because the one before it was such old hardware.
all old gen consoles are discontinued, sony is not making anymore ps3s, microsfot is not making anymore xbox360, and afaik unless its a game like fifa or just dance there wont be any game made for them anymore, heck just dance 2018 still came out for the wii wich has been discontinued for some years lol.

and no ps3 is not selling its discontinued so sony has no more money being made with it, that is why sony announced one year for now ps3 and ps vita will no longer have any free games on their ps plus subscription.

Reactions: Ryccardo

deSSy2724

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Harder to devlop games (complex/strange arhitecture at that time) and basically multiplatform devs released their games first for Xbox360 and later ported it to PS3 (most games), much more expensive and still selling at a loss for a couple of years

It was really hard for them in the first years.... the great exclusives saved their ass and one more thing, their PS3 with Bluray drive was less expensive or the same prize as standalone Bluray players. So, what would you choose? 2in 1 device or only ONE function? Basically, many non-gamers bought the PS3 consoles (I know many of them), later on, they even bought some games and all that helped them in the sales..... and on top of that, supercomputers made of dozens of PS3 consoles (Reason: Cell, comparable to high end PC CPUs at that time and less expensive).

Last edited by deSSy2724,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all old gen consoles are discontinued, sony is not making anymore ps3s, microsfot is not making anymore xbox360, and afaik unless its a game like fifa or just dance there wont be any game made for them anymore, heck just dance 2018 still came out for the wii wich has been discontinued for some years lol.

and no ps3 is not selling its discontinued so sony has no more money being made with it, that is why sony announced one year for now ps3 and ps vita will no longer have any free games on their ps plus subscription.
again you seem to lack common sense.

i never said production i said selling.

you can still go to a game store and pick up a PS3 or a 360.

wii however very much long gone and dead, only place youll find one is a cash generator like store or cex.

the point here is that the ps3/360 consoles managed to keep going for heck of a lot longer than the wii, yes the wii sold faster due to its gimmicks and marketing but the console was dead as soon as nintendo released the wii u.

the point is that nintendo can brag about fast sales, but it fails to maintain momentum, look now how nintendo are bragging switch sales, yet we didnt hear jack when the wii u was its current console.

the switch will soon die down and will become a faint whisper especially if its going to continue with these old ports, but if it doesnt improve fast then it will die upon release of sony and microsofts next gen console..... which theres no rush considering they have no competition, nintendo can barely manage to run its current games, it will never surpass anything the PS4/XBX1 can run.

and i couldn't give a crap if its portable.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
again you seem to lack common sense.

i never said production i said selling.

you can still go to a game store and pick up a PS3 or a 360.

wii however very much long gone and dead, only place youll find one is a cash generator like store or cex.

the point here is that the ps3/360 consoles managed to keep going for heck of a lot longer than the wii, yes the wii sold faster due to its gimmicks and marketing but the console was dead as soon as nintendo released the wii u.

the point is that nintendo can brag about fast sales, but it fails to maintain momentum, look now how nintendo are bragging switch sales, yet we didnt hear jack when the wii u was its current console.

the switch will soon die down and will become a faint whisper especially if its going to continue with these old ports, but if it doesnt improve fast then it will die upon release of sony and microsofts next gen console..... which theres no rush considering they have no competition, nintendo can barely manage to run its current games, it will never surpass anything the PS4/XBX1 can run.

and i couldn't give a crap if its portable.
sony is the one without competition this gen, they are crushing microsoft so hard that microsoft is pointless this gen, sony has all the time in the world to keep the ps4 becuase they have more than 60% of the entire console market on their pocket this gen, so they arent eager to move on when they are doing so well, microsoft shoot themselves on the foot with xbox one X thinking it would be game changer but it wasnt lol, ninteno is eating all of microsoft market share, in 1 year you will see ps4 with 60 % and xb1 and nintendo having 20% each, and no nintendo wont die down this time because nintendo was always very good with portable consoles, one cant say they ever found a decent rival on the portable console market, and switch is taking care of that market, and every nintendo console that was portable was a huge hit, the one selling less was the 3ds wich is still selling wich is over 70 million units sold.

nintendo only needs the people that like nintendo handhelds to get a swich to suceed, if they get anyone that also likes homeconsoles is already a bonus.

You can say what you want but nintendo is a best on portable market, they never did a console that sold badly on portable, all their portable consoles last a long time with lots of support, heck the 3ds is still getting games 3rd party and first party and its old as hell being released 2011 making its 7 year on the market this march, and the switch is just gonna get those portable guys, and that alone makes it a comercial sucess.

Also before you say 3ds is dying or switch last year(2017 only) the hardware sales acording to vgz charts are
13.2m switch
7.6m xbox
20.1m ps4
7m 3ds
0.7m vita

so 3ds with 7 years is still selling 7 million units per year, and nintendo with the switch is eating all microsoft market share on the console market.

So yeah if anyone is really worried and preety much falling apart is microsoft, they are the ones that will need to go next gen fast or else they will loose big time.

Last edited by pedro702,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sony is the one without competition this gen, they are crushing microsoft so hard that microsoft is pointless this gen, sony has all the time in the world to keep the ps4 becuase they have more than 60% of the entire console market on their pocket this gen, so they arent eager to move on when they are doing so well, microsoft shoot themselves on the foot with xbox one X thinking it would be game changer but it wasnt lol, ninteno is eating all of microsoft market share, in 1 year you will see ps4 with 60 % and xb1 and nintendo having 20% each, and no nintendo wont die down this time because nintendo was always very good with portable consoles, one cant say they ever found a decent rival on the portable console market, and switch is taking care of that market, and every nintendo console that was portable was a huge hit, the one selling less was the 3ds wich is still selling wich is over 70 million units sold.

nintendo only needs the people that like nintendo handhelds to get a swich to suceed, if they get anyone that also likes homeconsoles is already a bonus.

You can say what you want but nintendo is a best on portable market, they never did a console that sold badly on portable, all their portable consoles last a long time with lots of support, heck the 3ds is still getting games 3rd party and first party and its old as hell being released 2011 making its 7 year on the market this march, and the switch is just gonna get those portable guys, and that alone makes it a comercial sucess.

Also before you say 3ds is dying or switch last year(2017 only) the hardware sales acording to vgz charts are
13.2m switch
7.6m xbox
20.1m ps4
7m 3ds
0.7m vita

so 3ds with 7 years is still selling 7 million units per year, and nintendo with the switch is eating all microsoft market share on the console market.

So yeah if anyone is really worried and preety much falling apart is microsoft, they are the ones that will need to go next gen fast or else they will loose big time.
one downfall to all this about nintendo, the switch is not their portable console to replace the 3ds (so its fans beleive).

as a console (home console) its hardware is its downfall and why many will avoid it, theyd pay less to buy the PS4/XBX1 version.

i own all three and the switch lacked anything from launch and still to day, nothing worth buying that i dont already own, if i didnt i wouldnt buy it for the switch.

the xbox one x i hate its features, the console still takes ages to turn on, the console on more than a few occassions fails to boot games, kicks out more random error codes that are not accurate or prompts you with the do you own this game..... when inserting the disc..... i even love the fact when the console cant think of a half assed error code to give you, it says oops something went wrong, try again, if it continues contact their customer service.

ive been reporting bugs since its launch and microsoft customer service are a total waste of space, this console has definately put me off ever buying another microsoft console again.

nintendo since the launch had refused to accept my emails regarding the crap joycons, claimed in their reply im to email their pr team.... when reporting faulty joycons that lose connection within feet away from the console, so ive given up on that and ive said before but never stuck to it, but with the cheap shit quality of the switch and this poor service and no games im sticking to sony from now on.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
one downfall to all this about nintendo, the switch is not their portable console to replace the 3ds (so its fans beleive).

as a console (home console) its hardware is its downfall and why many will avoid it, theyd pay less to buy the PS4/XBX1 version.

i own all three and the switch lacked anything from launch and still to day, nothing worth buying that i dont already own, if i didnt i wouldnt buy it for the switch.

the xbox one x i hate its features, the console still takes ages to turn on, the console on more than a few occassions fails to boot games, kicks out more random error codes that are not accurate or prompts you with the do you own this game..... when inserting the disc..... i even love the fact when the console cant think of a half assed error code to give you, it says oops something went wrong, try again, if it continues contact their customer service.

ive been reporting bugs since its launch and microsoft customer service are a total waste of space, this console has definately put me off ever buying another microsoft console again.

nintendo since the launch had refused to accept my emails regarding the crap joycons, claimed in their reply im to email their pr team.... when reporting faulty joycons that lose connection within feet away from the console, so ive given up on that and ive said before but never stuck to it, but with the cheap shit quality of the switch and this poor service and no games im sticking to sony from now on.
no games? switch made on year yesterday and even removing the ports you got zelda botw, mario odissey, splatoon 2,xenoblade 2,kirby releases in 11 days, metroid prime and pokemon coming probably this year.

i mean the console has 1 year and 2 days and it already has a preety big library, ps4 and xbox did not even had half of the exclusives switch got on the first year...

nintendo passing main pokemon to the switch ditching the 3ds aknoledges that the portable line will not continue and only switch will remain or else they would put the next main pokemon game on the next handheld since gamefreak refuses to make main pokemon games on home consoles.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no games? switch made on year yesterday and even removing the ports you got zelda botw, mario odissey, splatoon 2,xenoblade 2,kirby releases in 11 days, metroid prime and pokemon coming probably this year.

i mean the console has 1 year and 2 days and it already has a preety big library, ps4 and xbox did not even had half of the exclusives switch got on the first year...

nintendo passing main pokemon to the switch ditching the 3ds aknoledges that the portable line will not continue and only switch will remain or else they would put the next main pokemon game on the next handheld since gamefreak refuses to make main pokemon games on home consoles.

exclusives which are the same titles (mainly) that nintendo recycle on all consoles minus the odd one or two.

yet where you say exclusives, nintendo lack in third party support, where as sony and microsoft have always done better at.

but nintendo are the ones claiming that the switch is not the successor to the 3ds, so this would imply that nintendo may consider releasing a portable console of its own.

personally i dont buy it, i believe while the 3ds market is going strong and nintendo can keep milking the market releasing multiple versions of the same console they will, once it dies down they will make the switch the portable console to replace the 3ds.

why else do you think they made a tablet console rather than an actual home console with next generation hardware......

one, we all know nintendo never pushes console hardware to the next level, they always seem to release cheap/old hardware.
two, nintendo used the whole tablet concept as a gimmick to mask the fact its hardware is inferior, how many fanboys sit here defending it and its old inferior ports simply because they can play while taking a dump.................
how many fans on here defended them claiming graphics are not important, ive seen all the excuses and its clear the fans will defend blindly.

the switch yes with its gimmicks is selling well, but if it does not grab the gaming market and only cater to its devoted fans and kids, it will end up being the same old nintendo, lacking third party support.

i think the fact that the switch is in no means competition to the ps4/xbx1 and that sony/ms made a console that can last for as long as possible, theres no rush for either to release their next gen console.

but lets say they did in 3 years time, pushing its hardware even further, thus leaving nintendo further behind, what third party is going to bother supporting it..... take the wii as an example, take the reasons why the wii u was not supported from the get go, take the reason why the switch is not getting todays games, but are finally getting the ps3/360 ports.

i find nintendo mainly cater for kids, when they keep promising to improve third party support, it will never happen unless they cater for the devs, provide the hardware that they are currently releasing its new titles on, but nintendo dont because they like to be cheap, they dont care if third parties dont support them, it leaves the market open to them, all they care about is releasing its own games (which are so fucking repetitive it recycles the same formula since the nes).

i think the last nintendo console i truly enjoyed was the n64.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
exclusives which are the same titles (mainly) that nintendo recycle on all consoles minus the odd one or two.

yet where you say exclusives, nintendo lack in third party support, where as sony and microsoft have always done better at.

but nintendo are the ones claiming that the switch is not the successor to the 3ds, so this would imply that nintendo may consider releasing a portable console of its own.

personally i dont buy it, i believe while the 3ds market is going strong and nintendo can keep milking the market releasing multiple versions of the same console they will, once it dies down they will make the switch the portable console to replace the 3ds.

why else do you think they made a tablet console rather than an actual home console with next generation hardware......

one, we all know nintendo never pushes console hardware to the next level, they always seem to release cheap/old hardware.
two, nintendo used the whole tablet concept as a gimmick to mask the fact its hardware is inferior, how many fanboys sit here defending it and its old inferior ports simply because they can play while taking a dump.................
how many fans on here defended them claiming graphics are not important, ive seen all the excuses and its clear the fans will defend blindly.

the switch yes with its gimmicks is selling well, but if it does not grab the gaming market and only cater to its devoted fans and kids, it will end up being the same old nintendo, lacking third party support.

i think the fact that the switch is in no means competition to the ps4/xbx1 and that sony/ms made a console that can last for as long as possible, theres no rush for either to release their next gen console.

but lets say they did in 3 years time, pushing its hardware even further, thus leaving nintendo further behind, what third party is going to bother supporting it..... take the wii as an example, take the reasons why the wii u was not supported from the get go, take the reason why the switch is not getting todays games, but are finally getting the ps3/360 ports.

i find nintendo mainly cater for kids, when they keep promising to improve third party support, it will never happen unless they cater for the devs, provide the hardware that they are currently releasing its new titles on, but nintendo dont because they like to be cheap, they dont care if third parties dont support them, it leaves the market open to them, all they care about is releasing its own games (which are so fucking repetitive it recycles the same formula since the nes).

i think the last nintendo console i truly enjoyed was the n64.
nintendo always says the consoles are not sucessors when they are, its a marketing ploy, they said the switch would exist alongside wiiu and 3ds and not replace either lol, they said the Ds was not the replacement for the gba line and yet it was and so on, its just marketing stuff, the switch will suceed both the 3ds and wiiu, heck if pokemon games will no longer appear on 3ds i doubt they will bother with it, tbh i dont see anymore upcoming 1st party title for 3ds on any website besides the detective pikachu which was already released on japan some time ago and we will get a port only now.

unless they announce something on E3 3ds does not have any single 1st party game announced yet, this will probably be its last year and they will end production early next year when 3ds turns 8 years.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this has turned into yet another "Retroboy whines about Nintendo" thread. Brilliant.

Regarding PS3's launch screwups, a lot of it was from their disastrous E3 2006 performance.

Reactions: Risingdawn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse