Hacking How easy is it to work with a pre-modded JTAG Xbox 360?

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am planning to buy a unit on eBay. How does loading new back ups and homebrew work? Do I need to have the XBOX hooked up directly to the PC? Or can I just take the HDD and hook it up to my PC and drag and drop ISOs?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd say go for a Pre-hacked RGH Slim. (or JTAG Slim if the seller describes it like that)

ISOs can be loaded as folder rips (Xbox Image browser can rip them) or GOD containers (ISO2GOD can convert them)

I'd say read this thread.
It'll give you a good idea on how you should load games.

I advise you to upgrade the HDD to a 1 or 2 TB one.
No need for bulky external drives.

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. So I understand correctly, a JTAG’d Xbox 360 will read burned discs, and I can also transfer to the internal HDD using an external drive? So if I need to load home brew I can just use a flash drive.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No, the drive still needs to be flashed if you want to play backups.

I'd say extract games on your PC and FTP them over, or copy them via flash drives.

XeLL homebrew must be loaded from a USB, homebrew that comes in .xex format can be launched from the HDD.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
jtag and rgh consoles are the same thing functionality wise . they are essentially a homemade xdk (xbox 360 devkit), jtag is only for the original phat 360 and based on a software exploit in the hypervisor due to a bug in a old bootloader from 4532 to 7371 , the only difference imho is that a jtag is always instaboot ( it boots in the same time a stock console would), rgh is compatible with all hdmi consoles including slims before 2014 ( non hdmi is possible but not reliable) above 7371 but is based on a hardware exploit so boot times can range from instaboot to several minutes, rgh allows your console to downgrade to a modified 4532 kernel to use the the old hypervisor to allow unsigned code.

jtag, rgh, and devkits are the consoles most commonly used to host modded lobbies online, run emulators and homebrew, a flash dvd drive ONLY allows burned dvd-DL to boot, does not allow homebrew or any custom code, only dvd rips

there is a small learning curve, pretty much xexmenu or freestyledash, you can either copy from usb drive (imho easiest and quickest), ftp (can be slow), xbox 360 memory cards (remember those?), or browse/rip dvd's to the hdd, you do not need a flashed drive with an rgh/jtag xexmenu and fsd can read burned disks, think of jtag and rgh as a way to convert the xbox from a game console to a personal computer

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the pre-modded 360 I would be buying already has a few games loaded onto it, so I imagine I could just load a FTP server on a USB drive, boot that, and then FTP the games onto the unit.

Thanks guys, it's definitely slightly more involved than other consoles. I just want to make sure with an RGH/JTAG unit and a flashed drive, I don't need anything else like special cables or set ups to transfer backups/homebrew/update my set up/etc.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I do have one more question, if I want to upgrade the HDD on a Xbox, how do I do that? It sounds like I can't just swap the HDD with a 2.5TB and reinstall the dashboard, or can I?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
FSD has FTP build in.
I think Aurora does as well.

Nope, FTP and USB transfers are the only things you really need.

You can install a 2 TB 2.5" laptop harddrive in the console without any problems, FATX is limited to 2TB.
You do have to reinstall the dashboard tho.
Follow this tut, you can extract the XeXMenu contents to a USB drive.
Be sure to download the latest Dashlaunch version instead of the supplied one, you may use your own launch.ini file.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Also you may want to install a copy of Xbox 360 neighborhood on a PC for anything other than a USB drive (imho just get a decent quality 32-64gb flash drive and just extract your 360 iso to a folder and copy to USB, then copy with fsd or xexmenu on 360 from USB to hdd) it also allows you to control the console over lan, reboot, browse anything connected to the console (HDD,USB,DVD,and even your nand) via windows file manager , and you can launch things from the computer aswell which can save alot of time with loading

You'll have to find 360 neighborhood on your own, since you have to find a copy of the official m$ Xbox360 XDK to install it, which due to legalities cannot be linked to here I'm pretty sure

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Can't be linked nope.

360 content manager is a very neat application as well.
It'll upload DLC and TU's to the correct places of your 360's HDD via FTP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...