Hardware How easy is it to upgrade the internal memory of the Switch?

Song of storms

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have an interesting project in mind and I would like to know if the Switch will recognise the new storage unit without any other mods, with all the requested files.

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've been thinking about this myself too. I have never done any solder work like this before, so I am a little reluctant to try it on my Switch. However, after a quick check on ebay, it seems a Switch eMMC is only about 12 GBP, so if you have access to a hot air rework station, you could by one, try to disconnect it, reconnect it, and test if your Switch will recognize it afterwards. If it works, great, if it doesn't, too bad, but it was only 12 pounds. If it works, you could buy the NAND size of your choice and try your luck with that. That is at least what I will do when my economy will permit it (they have a workshop at my uni that we can freely use, with good equipment for soldering)

Edit: by disconnect and reconnect I of course mean the NAND chip from the eMMC

Last edited by Snomannen_kalle,

lil-devil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've been thinking about this myself too. I have never done any solder work like this before, so I am a little reluctant to try it on my Switch. However, after a quick check on ebay, it seems a Switch eMMC is only about 12 GBP, so if you have access to a hot air rework station, you could by one, try to disconnect it, reconnect it, and test if your Switch will recognize it afterwards. If it works, great, if it doesn't, too bad, but it was only 12 pounds. If it works, you could buy the NAND size of your choice and try your luck with that. That is at least what I will do when my economy will permit it (they have a workshop at my uni that we can freely use, with good equipment for soldering)

Edit: by disconnect and reconnect I of course mean the NAND chip from the eMMC
long story short, if you've never done soldering and work with a reflow station, don't start with your switch. unless you want a brick that is...

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
long story short, if you've never done soldering and work with a reflow station, don't start with your switch. unless you want a brick that is...

Not to mention, Nintendo, from what I've heard, doesn't take too kindly to you modifying even the eMMC module, if you know what I mean...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.