How easy is it to upgrade the internal memory of the Switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Song of storms, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Song of storms
    OP

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    I have an interesting project in mind and I would like to know if the Switch will recognise the new storage unit without any other mods, with all the requested files.

2. SANIC

SANIC GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    I remember seeing a thread like that a while back where they switched them with a 64 GB If I recall.

3. lil-devil

lil-devil GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2007
    Canada
    think you were referring to this
    http://pascoe.pw/2018/09/switchnand.html

TL;DR

parts is not that expensive, but seems hard to do...

4. Snomannen_kalle

Snomannen_kalle Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2018
    Norway
    I've been thinking about this myself too. I have never done any solder work like this before, so I am a little reluctant to try it on my Switch. However, after a quick check on ebay, it seems a Switch eMMC is only about 12 GBP, so if you have access to a hot air rework station, you could by one, try to disconnect it, reconnect it, and test if your Switch will recognize it afterwards. If it works, great, if it doesn't, too bad, but it was only 12 pounds. If it works, you could buy the NAND size of your choice and try your luck with that. That is at least what I will do when my economy will permit it (they have a workshop at my uni that we can freely use, with good equipment for soldering)

Edit: by disconnect and reconnect I of course mean the NAND chip from the eMMC

Last edited by Snomannen_kalle, Oct 26, 2018
  5. lil-devil

lil-devil GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2007
    Canada
    long story short, if you've never done soldering and work with a reflow station, don't start with your switch. unless you want a brick that is...

6. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Not to mention, Nintendo, from what I've heard, doesn't take too kindly to you modifying even the eMMC module, if you know what I mean...