Hacking How easy is it to copy Wii games?

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I want to either get a chip or, now that this hack has been released, even tohugh it's now perfect, use it to make copies of games i dont really want. I dnot want to rely on downloading as i dont have a lot of monthly MB usage to waste on 4.7 GB games, so i was wondering if i borrowed a game from the video store or from a friend, how would i make a workable copy? just need to know before i decide to chip my Wii, or install a custom IOS.

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
It's pretty easy to dump discs over wifi or to front SD using cIOS. You don't need a mod chip to do this, just the homebrew channel, then cIOS and some homebrew that allows dumping.

There's a handy tutorial here -> http://forums.nintendo-scene.com/index.php?topic=2415.0

Otherwise you can use an SD gecko in gamecube mode to dump in parts to an sd card through the gamecube controller port.

Or use one of the magical drives (see below) to dump in windows.

dud190

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe there are only 2 basic ways to back-up Wii games...

#1 - Use an ISO dumping program on your Wii to dump the game ISO to an SD card. I think this now can be done with the Homebrew channel, and a dol on the SD card. I'm not sure if you can use WiiFTP to send the ISO to your PC. I've never tried to use my Wii to dump a game... I use method #2 below.

#2 - You will need one of the following DVD-ROM drives to copy games (ONLY the drives listed below will work).
LG-8164b
LG-8163b
LG-8162b
LG-8161b
Once you install this drive into your computer you will need to download a few applications:
Raw dump (google it)
.net Framework 2.0
After installing the DVD rom and apps, you can back-up your Wii game. FYI, it takes about 4 hours to complete one game. After that you can use Imgburn to burn the ISO back to a DVD. Make sure to use a slow burn speed (x4) and a good quality DVD-R.

Hope this helps.

Heh Heh.... SenorClean beat me to it by 1 minute :-)

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks guys, much appreciated
wink.gif

amiga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not exactly the same but I've got some backups on dvd because my brothers already have a wii with chip so I copied some games.

So how I can create a ISO from them that works with the patcher, I tried creating an image with nero but I'm not sure if it works (I haven't been able to get anything working yet, error 4100, because I haven't got any DVD-R), so what do you think is the best way to get the isos?

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
iso of an already burnt disc? Just use imgburn in a normal PC drive... easy peasy

ps - the loader seems pretty dodgy.. I'd still recommend getting a mod chip

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Works fine here.

Didn't installed the IOS asked because I already used the ISO Loader v0.3 of WiiGator and so, my Wii already have IOS 249 v6 which works fine with the dumper too.

Just put the "wiihttpdumper" on the apps directory on my SD Card then run the appz in the homebrew channel.

Then, the ip in my web navigator, and here I go!

For the wireless newtork, I'm using the official Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector.

Speed goes to an average of 400Kb/s (~ 3h to dump a game).

Didn't tried to dump a whole one and to burn it yet, but should be easy with IMGBurn (should be the same thing that when we burn a 1:1 copy we got on the web).

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
btw, i use imgburn, with verbatim dvd-r and i burn all my games at 16x, not a single coaster, actually the wii prefers that you burn at a minimum of 6x cause anything lower damages the laser over time

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Burning speed has absolutly no effect.

I have heard many different things:

a) Burn at the lowest speed

b) Burn at the highest speed / Burn at the speed that is labeled on the disc

c) Burn at half the speed of the disc.

The only thing that is important is how good the media is. Dont use cheap terrible discs.

Go with the Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden brand.

You will wear out the Wii's laser more if you use crappy dvds!

Memorex is considered to be one of the crappy dvd brands!

I used to have a link to this site that had the full list of the best dvd media to use, but I lost it. Google is the only hope!

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tichinde925 said:
Again: Bollocks. The laser doesn't wear out any faster. All that could happen is that the drive isn't able to read a spot properly and has to re-read it. Which, if you really want to strain the argument, would add a slight wear on the drive mechanics. The laser ... couldn't care less.

junk_man32

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tichinde925 said:
Burning speed has absolutly no effect.

I have heard many different things:

a) Burn at the lowest speed

b) Burn at the highest speed / Burn at the speed that is labeled on the disc

c) Burn at half the speed of the disc.

The only thing that is important is how good the media is. Dont use cheap terrible discs.

Go with the Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden brand.

Memorex is considered to be one of the crappy dvd brands!

I used to have a link to this site that had the full list of the best dvd media to use, but I lost it. Google is the only hope!

fuck i have memorex

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tichinde925 said:
fine, replace laser with "drive"
tongue.gif
If you're so worried about it, you shouldn't be using user-writeable media in the first place. The sector layout on writeable media (physically) differs from manufactured disks. You may have (audibly) noticed that the drive is doing considerably more repositioning of the pickup than on original disks.

And it still shouldn't matter, the drive should still work way longer than the Wii's market lifetime.

All the exagerrated reports about "drive wear" seem to stem from PS2 days. On the PS2 many people had to adjust the current to the laser to be able to read backup disks. Which is actually the only real way to shorten a drive's lifespan considerably, and it obviously has happened a lot with PS2s. The connection "backup media" and "drive wear" seems to have carried over to every system after the PS2, unfortunately, the circumstances under which it happens didn't.

UrkeytaY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm, I've actually been using only Memorex and I haven't had any problems at all besides games in which I didn't check the compatibility wiki first.

wtf.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: