How easy is it for the CycloDS to run GBA games through EZ3-in-1?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Link5084, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Link5084
    OP

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

United States
    Since CycloDS has full compatibility with the EZ Flash 3-in-1, all I need to do is just put GBA ROMS on the microSD, pop in the EZ3in1 on my DS and I'm good to go. Do I still need to write games into either NOR or PSRAM? If so, how?

2. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    cyclo does all that for your automagically

3. Minnesinger

Newcomer Minnesinger Newbie

Germany
    You will get a pop-up telling you what to do. Just select 'Yes' and press the A-button. Very simple. Just remember that NOR might not work if you got the new crap*y 3in1+.

4. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    The CycloDS flashes the GBA game to the RAM memory if you press A, meaning it won't stay on the cart if you turn the DS off.

5. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    When I played Mother 3, it asked me some weird shit and Mother 3 does stay on the EZ Flash after I turn the DS off.
    How do I remove it? I want to use the RAM to play SNES games faster instead.

6. xylos

Member xylos GBAtemp Regular

United States

To flash the game to NOR press select when you highlight a GBA Game. Then choose between flashing the game to:

SRAM: Faster to load and patch but will not be permanently written to the expansion pak
    NOR: Slower because the Cyclo Flashes the GBA Game permanently to the pak and has to erase the existing data.
    * Of course you can always write another game to the cart by choosing NOR again...

7. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    This is complete nonsense, there is no "instead". Your 3-in-1 has PSRAM and NOR. Mother 3 is in NOR right now, minding its own business. It does not affect the presence or usefulness of the PSRAM portion of the 3-in-1 in any way. What you're talking about with SNEmulDS is its feature of paging games in the 3-in-1's PSRAM, not the 3-in-1's NOR, which would just be silly, because NOR is slow-writing and fast-reading. The reason Mother 3 was written to NOR instead of PSRAM is that the 3-in-1 only has 16MB of PSRAM, and Mother 3 is 32MB in size. Since the 3-in-1 has 32MB of NOR, Mother 3 was put in there automatically. To repeat, having a game in NOR does not have any effect (negative or otherwise) on the use of the 3-in-1's PSRAM.

8. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Really? Because at first my EZ Flash would make SNES games run more smoothly because of the extra RAM, but after playing GBA roms with it, it stopped making a difference for the SNES games.

How do I erase the contents of the EZ flash so I'm free to use whatever RAM it has for the SNES enhancement?

9. Vague Rant

Australia
    *sigh*

It won't make any difference, but this tool can erase the 3-in-1's NOR.

10. blanco613

Member blanco613 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    just drag and drop
    the cyclo writes it to psram automatically
    if you want to save to NOR you need gba exploader
    and the cyclo makes the save file for the game automatically saves to so you can always go back to it NOR or psram
    plus the NOR and psram use the same saves

11. Vague Rant

Australia
    Wrong. As stated above, hit select while highlighting a GBA game to toggle NOR mode.

12. Link5084
    OP

United States
    What are the advantages of writing the game into NOR or PSRAM? What's so good about the GBA game being flashed permanently in NOR while the PSRAM doesn't? Does it affect saves?

13. Vague Rant

Australia
    There are a few bonuses to writing games to NOR. Firstly, you can actually fit 32MB games into NOR. Secondly, if you're regularly playing the same game, you can boot it much faster, straight from the DS's menu. Thirdly, you can flash the desired game and remove the 3-in-1 from your DS and put it in a GBA/Game Boy Player/lend it to a friend, etc. It shouldn't have any effect on saves unless there's something wrong with the flashing implementation.

14. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    the application doesnt work on the 3in1+. It just cant erase the game in NOR.

To me, if I love the game, I put it in NOR whilst if I want to have a fast game, I'll put it in PSRAM

15. Link5084
    OP

United States
    Do I have to find a patched or unpatched version of the Opera browser to run with the EZ 3-in-1? Can you just run it off your Games folder and the EZ3in1 will recognize it? Also, you don't need Rudolph's tools right?