How does this scam work?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 946
  • Replies 7
D

Deleted User

OP
I found a video on YouTube today promising to give you Hyrule Warriors for free. The reason I believe it to be a scam is "if it's too good to be true it probably is". According to the video if you sign up to some website, download a free mobile app and play it for about 30 seconds you'll get an email with a download code for the game. There's also a fuckload of other games featured in the video.

*snip*

EDIT: I am 99% sure this is a scam. If you are unwise enough to follow the instructions in the video and get screwed over it is your own fault and I will not be held responsible.

Last edited by porkiewpyne,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean the scam works by people downloading the app lol. If you give them your email, they'll probably just sell it onto people and get you added to some great phishing mailing lists. You won't get a download code, I know that for sure.

Edit: Having watched the video, they probably also get some sort of revenue for getting people to download the games. Just save yourself the hassle and save up for the game lol.

Last edited by Scarlet,

hellrokr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found a video on YouTube today promising to give you Hyrule Warriors for free. The reason I believe it to be a scam is "if it's too good to be true it probably is". According to the video if you sign up to some website, download a free mobile app and play it for about 30 seconds you'll get an email with a download code for the game. There's also a fuckload of other games featured in the video.

*snip*

EDIT: I am 99% sure this is a scam. If you are unwise enough to follow the instructions in the video and get screwed over it is your own fault and I will not be held responsible.
YOu just downloaded an app which would malicious. So, probably, your phone is hacked as well.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal

*snip*

I can't see the video right now but you can create a throaway e-mail and use Bluestacks or something alike (inside a VM if you're paranoid) not to taint your phone and see the scam process.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

*snip*

It's the classic "promise you something in return for doing something that makes them money but you never actually receive anything for it" scam.
Normally you see these on fake emulator sites/videos, where you're asked to fill out a survey to receive the download, but the only thing that happens is you're sent to yet more surveys, and if/when you finally do receive the download, it's all garbage data, and often passworded with a password you don't have.
They've just taken it a step further by making you install something that could potentially contain malware.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
According to the video if you sign up to some website, download a free mobile app and play it for about 30 seconds you'll get an email with a download code for the game.
i didnt even bothered watching the video and you should remove it, because, other people here might try it and you making it youtube seing it as trendy and recomending it to more people

first: you won't get an email with the code. even if you do everrything right you wont. the max you can get is a link to a survey which you have to pay to view a corrupted file lol

second: "install an app" < i guess you pretty much understand how the scam works?
the app can do theese:
steal your data (spyware)
install other crap into the phone (apps you dont want but they get money from them)
replace your home screen with randsomware which you will have a screen saying the fbi locked your phone and you will have to pay to get your data back
advertisement, turn your phone into a billboard that every 1 second or keystroke your phone shows you and opens all kind of crap
in a pc, i dont think its common in a phone, it could start to mine for criptocurrency
watch your camera while you wash your feet

third: they want the email to fill it with crap of course, to sell it to third parties and whatnot

Last edited by migles,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1