How does the wii deals with disk signatures?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by atomikramp, Jul 8, 2008.

Jul 8, 2008
  1. atomikramp
    OP

Member atomikramp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Hello everybody, i'm just new to wii hacking, i really dunno much about how the wii works and deals with disks signature to prevent backup copies of original DVDs from booting.

the only thing that i know is that the informations about the signature are managed by the DVD drive, wich tells the wii if the DVD is elegible for booting or not with some sort of codes.

Starting by this many crew started developing drive chips to circumvent/manipulate/intercept the signals generated by the DVD drive and then the chip itself tells the console that the DVD is eligible for booting even if it's a backup (not signed disk)

maybe i've understhood it wrong so my further suppositions are useless...

Then came to my mind a question "how the console deals with the codes/signals generated by the dvd drive?" wich part of the console takes care of this code and say "yes you can boot/no you can't?"

this is just a supposition i made and probably (nearly for sure) it's absolutely useless and wrong but i tried to answer myself saying:

something in the software part is taking care of the signatures/signals generated by the dvd drive
    the wii operating system looks really imprinted on channels doing specified things... so maybe the disc channel is the component of the dashboard dealing with signatures and maybe the channel itself decides if a certain DVD can boot or not depending on the signal recived by the DVD drive.

so... are there corrently studies on revers-engeneering the disc channel and the way it works?
    what would happen if the channel is the key part? and what would happen if someone can write a different channel capable of booting media, wich can be installed on the wii as an alternative disk channel wich ignores the signatures and boots the dvd no metter what?

as i said, i'm a noob, for sure someone already thought about such things and discarded this way becouse of some reason i don't actually know..
    but even if i'm trying to document myself and with my little affort try to contribute to the scene, so please don't flame me if i said really fag things.

thnx for reading [​IMG]

2. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Ok, I'll make this very short answer in simple terms (not to patronise)

Lets say everything you read was true (I never read it all), it would be irrelevant.
    Before the channel kicks in this happens.

1 - You insert a DVD.
    2 - A chip* inside the wii between the drive and mobo looks at it, it looks at a part of the DVD you can't write to.
    3a - If it is a copy, it knows and refuses to run ANY code
    3b - If it is NOT a copy and a retail pressed DVD...... THEN *Insert whatever* happens.

Hope that clears this common asked question about running backup games without a mod chip.

*chip - this chip can't be "flashed"

Now I'm not saying it is impossible, but that's a whole other topic :-P

3. atomikramp
    OP

Member atomikramp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    my mistake was to think that the check procedure was software based (made by the OS) instead of hardware based (done by a chip at a lower level on the console hardware)

thnx for the explanation.

4. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    there is indeed some kind of software check procedure, implemented in the form of RSA signature check. This comes "AFTER" the hardware checked the disc, this is done by the System Menu to verify that the DVD content has not been modified (and this is where the Trucha Signature Bug became handy [​IMG] )

On top of that, DVD data is also encrypted to prevent anybody to read them, but this has been also defeated.

You can see these as 3 different layers of protection.

5. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    Meh, I'm still hoping for a virtual modchip running from the SD card or a Wii-on-DVD Disk Writer.

6. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Quite dreamer you are!

7. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    Yes. Yes I am.