How does the selling forum work?

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies if this is a stupid question or if it has been posted elsewhere and I just couldn't find it.
or if it's in the wrong section altogether.

So yeah, I've never used PayPal outside of eBay, and I'm looking to sell something here. Besides posting a thread about it, what else do I need to do to make a sale go smoothly?

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You post a sale thread about your item(s), people negotiate with you, work out a deal, etc. If you agree to a sale, they can send money to your PayPal if you give them the email address the PayPal account is linked to. After you see the money show up in your PP account, ship the item to the address they gave you. In most cases it's that simple.

Reactions: frogboy

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Communicate
2) Negotiate
3) ?????
4) Sell your wares for no profit

As far as PayPal, most people will send payment as a gift so as to avoid PayPal fees. If you're unsure about the seller or buyer, send them an invoice (which I think you can do through PayPal) that way if things go south PayPal will likely have you covered with their buyer protection thing.

Look at the Member Feedback subforum too, you can see if anyone's got feedback under them. Spoiler alert, feedback for members here tends to be nothing but positive (aside from a few bad eggs which are dealt with accordingly)

jchen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as PayPal, most people will send payment as a gift so as to avoid PayPal fees.
Is that true? Because when one sends money as a gift, they have very little chance of disputing it. Thats why most people send it as a regular payment.
You cant really force a buyer to gift you money, unless they trust you enough and accept the risks. Gifting really only benefits the seller who receives the money.

Reactions: Thomas83Lin

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd send money as a regular payment to people I'd never interacted with before. If I was to do any trading on /r/hardwareswap, for example, I'd be sending everything as a regular payment. People can come and go as they please, you can sign up a new reddit account and immediately turn around and try to start scamming someone on that subreddit (well, there might be a few days wait period, not sure).

Here though you have to have at least 100 posts to see the trading forum, which means you're at least somewhat dedicated to the site and your account here. I (personally) interact with many of you on a frequent basis. A very large portion of the people who post in the trading forum here are regular posters there. I'd be more inclined to trust someone from this site in the trading forum than some random guy off of reddit who's had an account for two days and 3 posts to his name.

I mean, shit, a year or two ago I gifted yusuo almost $65 USD to ship me a few bags of crispy M&Ms (don't judge they're freaking awesome) from the UK since we can't buy them here in the States anymore. Aside from seeing him around the forum quite a lot I had never actually interacted with him, but everything went smooth and groovy B-)

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ha I was wondering who it was I done the m+m thing for but it was no issues, this goes for most of the temp, no bodies going to rip you off, although you don't know everybody this is a decent community. You'll always get bad eggs but they're few and far between here

Reactions: Sicklyboy

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
... almost $65 USD to ship me a few bags of crispy M&Ms (don't judge they're freaking awesome) from the UK since we can't buy them here in the States anymore...

and i been here complaining about m&ms being +3 euros for a small bag of 100g...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte