Hardware How does the D3-2 Drive work?

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
OP
Trophies
XP
I've heard that it doesn't read proper DVDs properly but that's all the sites on google tell me. Can somebody give me alot more detail?

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The D3 drive and earlier had a built-in DVD mode for a potential DVD player channel. This mode was exploited for softmods and "flat" modchips to load burned discs, as they look similar to DVD-ROMs. The D3-2 drive removed this mode, breaking backup loading from disc.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Just use uLoader with an USB DVD drive
tongue.gif

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, Wii and GameCube discs are regular DVDs. Hence why Wii games can be burned to DVD-Rs.
wink.gif

Nintendo's discs (and rips of said discs) will not be recognized by Linux/Mac/Windows. If you ripped them, you would not get a standard ISO. The discs have a proprietary format, garbage data (to fill up unused space, this is why rips can be big), and a burst cutting area.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
OP
Trophies
XP
ah. ic now... thanks for answering my questions. I will try find a cheap D3(or under) drive board. i wonder if dealextreme have any
smile.gif

EDIT: Well i found a D2A and D2B. Can i replace a D3-2 with them? If so can someone link me to a very detailed guide?

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, all Wii drives can be swapped for each other, regardless of chipset revision. In other words, swapping the D3-2 drive out in favor of a D2A drive will work.

If you know how to install a modchip, you can easily swap the drive... Seriously. Just disconnect the drive and plug in the new one.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
Yes, all Wii drives can be swapped for each other. In other words, swapping the D3-2 in favor of a D2A will work.

If you know how to install a modchip, you can easily swap the drive... Seriously. Just disconnect the drive and plug in the new one.
It's harder to replace the drive board. OP, don't try replacing just the drive board unless you know what you're doing.

smuddge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
resoldering a board is easy. there is only 6 solder points.... you don't need to know what you are doing either. they are big solder points and a monkey could do it.
any board works in any wii.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
tattar8 said:
Dialexio said:
Yes, all Wii drives can be swapped for each other. In other words, swapping the D3-2 in favor of a D2A will work.

It's harder to replace the drive board. OP, don't try replacing just the drive board unless you know what you're doing.
I was referring to swapping the actual drive with the chipset still attached. I've edited my post to be more clear.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte