How does the anti piracy system works (for DVD) on Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by dreampeppers99, Jan 10, 2013.

1. dreampeppers99
    OP

Member dreampeppers99 GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I mean, to avoid you to copy a bare DVD and play it

I would like to know how it works, I know that on PSX, they "burn" the original DISC with sum-check equals to zero (very briefly) then making hard to replicate that.

Anyway, any of you knows how this works for Wii? (Or even for Ps3 or Xbox360)

2. CheatFreak47

Member CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

United States
    Encryption, Signing, Hash Checks Maybe. Not Sure what your asking specifically though.

3. W hat

Member W hat Rhythm Heaven Fan

United States
    I don't know but I have some related facts.

Datel broke the protection on the GameCube and could manufacture their own GC discs.
    Until the 3.2 Wii Update, Datel's Wii Freeloader also worked on the Wii.
    3.2 fixed "fakesigning" and IOS exploits are required to bring it back.
    I recall a post from some hacker's blog that had some kind of analysis of the GC/Wii physical disc protection. This post was within the last year or two.

I think it has to do with the discs at the factory having parts written that normal DVD burners can't write to. Wish I knew more.

dreampeppers99 likes this.
  4. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    sadly the short answer is that it doesn't, any wii dvd can be ripped use cleanrip or similar app on any wii... then unfortauntely that person could upload it... and risk ending up like kongsnutz, wow, it's been a long time since I thought about him, lol

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    This is really common, and what's used on commercial DVDs as well IIRC.

If you hold important encryption/signing info in a part of the disc that can't be written to, then you can't write a copy using home burners, it's that simple. The officially-produced discs can have this data in whatever place they want because they're not burned, they're pressed with like, plates powered by elf dust and shit.

6. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    Wii disc are not dvd disc, they are different somehow. Even when you rip a disc and burn it, it is still encrypted. But newer wii drives can not read dvds because they lack some dvd debug code found in the original drives. There are only a few pc dvd drives able to copy wii disc at deadly slow speeds, not sure what makes them special. My pos dell dvd reading only drive 10 years old can rip them. Freeloader most be pressed in the same way as a wii disc, and not the same as a dvd.

It would be nice to have a few wiimod autoboot disc pressed in this way, that would be a nice brick recovery for people who patch there system ios but have newer wii drives.

7. dreampeppers99
    OP

Member dreampeppers99 GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    thank you all guys :>

8. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom