Homebrew How does snemulds use the slot 2 device RAM?

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It said slot 2 device detected but how does it use it? Does it do it automatically or do i have to go into options to activate it?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's automatically used, but check the snemul.cfg file in a text editor to be sure exactly how it's being used.

Basically it's only used for storing the rom image so that the paging system doesn't need to be used. It has no effect for smaller games, only ones too large to fit entirely into the DS's RAM at once.

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
It's automatically used, but check the snemul.cfg file in a text editor to be sure exactly how it's being used.

Basically it's only used for storing the rom image so that the paging system doesn't need to be used. It has no effect for smaller games, only ones too large to fit entirely into the DS's RAM at once.
I just used it but i dont see any difference at all. It even said RAM recognized.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There won't be too much of a difference, really. I certainly haven't noticed one, but I haven't been playing with v0.6 Alpha all that much.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SMRPG is 100% incompatible with all SNES emulators for the DS. It contains a special co-processor chip that is 3 times faster than the SNES CPU itself which SNEmulDS does not emulate. Even the PSP has trouble emulating it at full speed.

For a full list of games that contain these unemulated co-processor chips, see http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNES_games_with_special_chips

m-p{3}

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
The Slot-2 RAM is used only to store games bigger than 4MB, which is the size of the internal DS RAM. It will be transparent to the user, other than the RAM detected text at SnemulDS boot.

Super Mario RPG is not supported in the current emulator, and there is about no chance it will ever be due to technical limitations of the DS.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The limit is actually somewhere around 3 MB, as the emulator itself has to fit into RAM as well. In fact, I don't think it even works with those very few SNES games that are over 4 MB in size.

m-p{3}

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
DanTheManMS said:
The limit is actually somewhere around 3 MB, as the emulator itself has to fit into RAM as well. In fact, I don't think it even works with those very few SNES games that are over 4 MB in size.
You're right, I forgot this details
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and...