How does one learn a language with Short Term memory?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by soliunasm, Mar 26, 2009.

1. soliunasm
    OP

Member soliunasm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have to learn a language, and I've chosen Spanish. I've tried and tried to learn the simplest of phrases and words, and it won't stick. Nothing will. I sometimes read something, and I remember it several days later, but I don't try to remember these things and they're usually useless, stupid stuff. For the past hour, I've been trying to remember three words, just simple greetings for Morning, Afternoon, and Evening. It will not go into my head. I cannot recall what these words were after 2 minutes of constant repetition of the words.
    Does anyone know of anything that could help me? Flash cards, repetition and other methods aren't working, and I'm literally grasping at straws here. The only way I'm even able to get the first week's worth of work done is by copy+pasting words to (try) to form a complete sentence, and even then I won't be able to read the responses I get on the assignment.

2. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Think about how you learn and take in other subjects and see if you can apply those same methods to your Spanish course. A language is no different to any other subject. Understanding the language (reading and listening) and being able to reproduce it (writing and speaking) are two different things, you need to be able to do both but you might find concentrating on one in the beginning might help it stick. I don't know, I'm no expert.

I can imagine that teaching yourself a language would be harder than working with a group or a teacher as you don't have people speaking the language around you to get used to it, but plenty of people seem to manage okay with self teaching audio/book courses so it must be possible.

3. SkankyYankee

Member SkankyYankee GBAtemp Advanced Skank

United States
    Immersion is the key. The more you hear the language spoken naturally after your lessons the more you'll be inclined to learn and retain vocab. Start watching Telenovelas and other shows on the Spanish networks, also try reading some Pablo Neruda, his English translations are side by side. It feels funny at first but you start to pick up phrases and pronunciation so you don't feel like an idiot mispronouncing. (my biggest problem) Don't expect to be fluent in conversational in a year. Progress is all about you and your grasp of the language, just like English. It took me at least 3 years to be confident enough to have an off-the-cuff Spanish convo with my coworker.

4. soliunasm
    OP

United States
    That's the thing though, I don't learn in other subjects. I remember the topic for about 3 minutes before I ultimately forget it.
    I just spent 3 hours trying to remember how to say "Good Morning, Good Afternoon, and Good Evening" in Spanish, only to forget it a couple minutes after having remembered it.

Edit: To top it off I have to do three whole sentences asking about a person, where they live, and doing a proper goodbye.
    I can't even remember anything but Hello and Goodbye. The only way I did my homework is by Copy+Pasting.
    Edit 2: With a microphone.

5. Bamboo

Member Bamboo GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    im sorry

6. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Bamboo don't be a jackass. He's got a real problem there. I know it won't help now, but perhaps various brain exercises that work on memory (potential bad example here, but the Nintendo DS brain training games by Nintendo) could over time help things start to stick with all those recognition and repetition games. Sadly in your case I think it's going to be immersion or you're screwed. Perhaps if the tutor isn't cutting it alone you need to get Rosetta Stone - Spanish. Not exactly cheap, but it works much like you were with the culture and language so you're sucked in and learn as you go seeing things and so on so it relates better.

7. soliunasm
    OP

United States
    QUOTE(Vampire Hunter D @ Mar 26 2009, 08:15 PM)
    Bamboo don't be a jackass. He's got a real problem there. I know it won't help now, but perhaps various brain exercises that work on memory (potential bad example here, but the Nintendo DS brain training games by Nintendo) could over time help things start to stick with all those recognition and repetition games. Sadly in your case I think it's going to be immersion or you're screwed. Perhaps if the tutor isn't cutting it alone you need to get Rosetta Stone - Spanish. Not exactly cheap, but it works much like you were with the culture and language so you're sucked in and learn as you go seeing things and so on so it relates better.

I will never buy from Rosetta Stone again. I tried taking German for Freshman year, I had to skip that mess of a program. 50x of repeating the same 4 words, with 4 lessons of about the same words, and instead of helping me, it nearly drove me mad.

8. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

take notes on what you learned
    simple