How does my phone keep this data?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by leafeon34, Aug 6, 2018.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 My profile picture is ugly

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    About a week ago I deleted the Airbnb app from my phone thinking I wont use it again for a very long time. I redownloaded it earlier today. The part which prompted me to make this thread is the fact that I did not have to log in again. I'm using an iPhone and when I deleted the app previously my phone gave me the prompt

Delete "Airbnb"?
    Deleting this app will also delete it's data.

Why did I not need to log in again? My best guess is that my phone doesn't keep the app's data at all, but Airbnb keeps my phone's EMEI number on their server and knows I didn't log out before deleting the app.

Last edited by leafeon34, Aug 6, 2018
  2. VinLark

VinLark This Machine Kills Bourgeois Sentimentality.

GBAtemp Patron
    VinLark is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Transparency
    The data just isn't deleted from you phone. I've had that happen also. You would need a 3rd party program/a program with root access to delete the data.

3. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Maybe it uses your Google account to verify/log you in with their server. A lot of services use Google logins these days.

EDIT: I missed the fact that it's an iPhone, I had assumed it was an Android. The Google account thing is less likely. I don't know how iPhones handle these things :/

Last edited by Veho, Aug 7, 2018
    Quantumcat likes this.
  4. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    There is leftover data on the storage

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Probably the same thing, redownloading appdata from an iCloud backup (they didn't do that when I was still using iPhones, but who knows what gimmicks they added in the past 4/5 years? Not me for sure!)