Homebrew How does bootmii works?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
read this (everything is explained): http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Bootmii

Bootmii is made off several parts running on both Wii cpus (ARM and PowerPC).
It also installs itself a stub on NAND to modify boot2, the stub is the thing that runs before boot2/ios/sysmenu when your Wii is started and this is what gives full access to unauthorized code.
SD is used to store/retrieve Mini (the ARM code that runs instead of nintendo IOS, neccessary to access Wii specific hardware like NAND and SD slot) and the Bootmii loader code (running on PowerPC, this either directly load the System Menu/HBC or launch the BootMii interface).

And no, it doesn't "bypass the whole NAND", it bypass boot2 normal execution, the NAND is only a memory support where code & data are stored, it is still needed.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
it does not use boot2, when you install bootmii on NAND, it is installed so that, when Boot2 is lauched by Boot1, bootmii code runs first. So, technically, it uses boot1 ability to launch boot2 (and that's why bootmii doesn't work if your Wii has the last boot1 version).

Once running and being loaded (from NAND remember), it does not use the NAND anymore unless:
1/ you ask Bootmii to backup/restore your NAND
2/ you leave bootmii to launch the system menu or the homebrew channel

But this is the same for EVERY Wii legit applications, once they are loaded from NAND into CPU memory (RAM), they don't use the NAND anymore until they need to access it to retrieve some data or to load others programs.

That's why your question does not make many sense, without the NAND, nothing could be run on your Wii.

wes11ph

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Jacobeian said:
it does not use boot2, when you install bootmii on NAND, it is installed so that, when Boot2 is lauched by Boot1, bootmii code runs first. So, technically, it uses boot1 ability to launch boot2 (and that's why bootmii doesn't work if your Wii has the last boot1 version).

Once running and being loaded (from NAND remember), it does not use the NAND anymore unless:
1/ you ask Bootmii to backup/restore your NAND
2/ you leave bootmii to launch the system menu or the homebrew channel

But this is the same for EVERY Wii legit applications, once they are loaded from NAND into CPU memory (RAM), they don't use the NAND anymore until they need to access it to retrieve some data or to load others programs.

That's why your question does not make many sense, without the NAND, nothing could be run on your Wii.

yeah your right, and that exactly what i want to know.
you did point out what i really need.

sorry for my none sense question. i do already know how it works, i just need to know if i'm wrong or not by asking noobie questions.many thanks to you Jacobeian.
this is what i really need to know for the second part of my project. tnx again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1