Gaming How do you want the new smash bros games to be like? Melee or Brawl?

• Thread starter RedSpyGentlemen
  • Start date
  • Views 3,299
  • Replies 39
R

RedSpyGentlemen

Gameplay wise. Would you rather have fast paced pow pow like melee, or like brawl, slow and floaty.

I would want it to be REALLY competitive. So, I choose melee.
We're going to have a hell of a debate.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Something in between is what it's going to be, and that's about what I'd want. Melee is TOO fast to be a proper party brawler while Brawl was a bit ridiculously floaty. Also, competetive is kind of a joke. You can force it to be that but it should be designed as a good party brawler first and foremost.

R

RedSpyGentlemen

Something in between is what it's going to be, and that's about what I'd want. Melee is TOO fast to be a proper party brawler while Brawl was a bit ridiculously floaty. Also, competetive is kind of a joke. You can force it to be that but it should be designed as a good party brawler first and foremost.

I know it's going to be "inbetween" according to that guy that makes Smash Bros games. Sakurai dude.

But what would you rather have. Brawl or Melee gameplay?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I know it's going to be "inbetween" according to that guy that makes Smash Bros games. Sakurai dude.

But what would you rather have. Brawl or Melee gameplay?
I'd rather have something in between. A bit faster and heavier than Brawl, not quite as a fast as Melee, no tripping or any of that nonsense (although this was confirmed already) and preferably no L-canceling. It's just a bullshit mechanic that has absolutely no drawback whatsoever, so they might as well remove it to even the odds a bit. For any experienced player it's second nature anyway.

NeonEmerald

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've seen it doesn't look like an "in-between" game. More like Brawl 2.0, but if it were possible something more along the lines of Melee with some Brawl mechanics on it.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't care honestly, I like Brawl and I don't like Melee and I'm looking forward to the new Smash.

Want a competitive fighting game? Get Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I had much more fun playing Melee than playing Brawl, but to be fair, those games are practically identical. I await competitive Smash players to explain to me how wrong I am and how the hitboxes are completely different or how the movesets have been optimized, blah, blah, blah. It's Smash - the core concept hasn't changed since its inception, it's going to be fun.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the thread takes off I will come back and laugh at the competitive folks.

Until then
I want a good UI where any number of options can be selected, tournaments made and optional modes held. Unlike mario kart, for which I assume the UI people were absent when they were reading that chapter of programming for cretins, the smash people seem to more or less get this.

The move sets seem generally acceptable in all smash games, I would like to see most risky moves available -- falcon/fox/bird guy's dash moves going off stages, link's downward sword plunge being uncancellable, a lot of kirby's transforms and more, similar uncancellable downwards but potentially damaging moves. However most do not have these sorts of moves and I am not sure that is good.

I would not mind a stage modifier of sorts. However considering the smash fanbase (which I am assuming is going to be what if the lesser mario kart hack people did worse than little big planet) that is not likely to do much good. Still some of the moving stages could work better with a smaller loop, having an "easy mode" where some of the environmental hazards get turned off/made harder to activate and more could do well.

A reasonably well worked handicap mechanic. Possibly also AI for absent players.

Everything that matters (modes, characters, stages) unlocked from the get go.

Ignore most of the "competitive" folks, they would not know what made competition if it were explained on their behalf. Equally I am willing to accept a few potentially broken modes if it makes life easier in other ways.

D

Dork

I want a new smash game.

Smash Bros does not exist on a spectrum between melee and brawl.

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want the new smash bros to be half and half, fast but heavy and able to take my mind off of PlayStation's counter part, PlayStation All Stars as it is very addicting.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't care honestly, I like Brawl and I don't like Melee and I'm looking forward to the new Smash.

Want a competitive fighting game? Get Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter.
:blink:? In my head Mortal Kombat stands for brutal violence, no sense and very clunky mechanics.

I had much more fun playing Melee than playing Brawl, but to be fair, those games are practically identical. I await competitive Smash players to explain to me how wrong I am and how the hitboxes are completely different or how the movesets have been optimized, blah, blah, blah. It's Smash - the core concept hasn't changed since its inception, it's going to be fun.
The concept did not change, I give you that. But even I as a non professional player noticed that Brawl is just .. slow. Felt like in a time bubble or something. Played Melee last week and thought after the first 5 minutes: "What? The character instantly does what I want when I press the buttons? Thats .. awesome!"

(Not to mention they did take a dump on the event matches and wasted resources on "story" mode. Glad they won't do it again)

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
:blink:? In my head Mortal Kombat stands for brutal violence, no sense and very clunky mechanics.

The concept did not change, I give you that. But even I as a non professional player noticed that Brawl is just .. slow. Felt like in a time bubble or something. Played Melee last week and thought after the first 5 minutes: "What? The character instantly does what I want when I press the buttons? Thats .. awesome!"

(Not to mention they did take a dump on the event matches and wasted resources on "story" mode. Glad they won't do it again)
The latest Mortal Kombat game is actually pretty good. Also, some people really like the Subspace Emissary.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hm.. what was likeable about that? Cant follow that :mellow:
Eh, going through the levels with a friend on the harder difficulties was pretty fun, especially the bosses. I think I actually have all levels marked as cleared on the highest difficulty.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I want it to be a party game that can be called competitive without relying on tech skills (ie. Wave Dashing).
Just a game to play with friends while still having some competitive spirit without having to be a tryhard like a lot of the competitive scene at the moment is.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Eh, going through the levels with a friend on the harder difficulties was pretty fun, especially the bosses. I think I actually have all levels marked as cleared on the highest difficulty.
Okay, never tried that. With a friend it was more like a mess to me, eventually we were just to bad. : )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Synthetic chocolate will be a thing lol