How do you study?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Study to learn or study to ace a test? How long do I have? Does the subject interest me or is there another I would really really opt for? It is all much the same but there are shortcuts.

To ace a test I will get old tests, old pieces of homework, the syllabus and pull them all apart before playing to it and doing the full exam technique thing. In my entire time interacting with the educational system I have rarely found tests that useful as an indicator of how much someone knows so I do not like doing this. Helping with this I do pretty well with memorising books, even if the result usually comes out in my own words.

If it is to learn something then there are three things
1) It is said to know a science or a general subject one really needs to know a decent amount about the level above -- it is why biology concentrates a lot on chemistry, why chemistry concentrates a lot on sub atomic physics, why physics has no small amount of maths, why sociology spends some time contemplating psychology, why psychology has a fair focus on neurobiology and neurochemistry, why accounting will do pretty well at general law or economics... More generally if I want to know how to fix something I want to know how it works -- I am not one for well that widget is broken, get a new widget and install it or glue the old one back together. I might end up doing that but I will understand how the system works.

2) Reading, lots of reading. Much like you can learn to pull apart an exam you can learn to analyse a book as well.

3) Some practical stuff, some time physically pulling it apart, some time playing with it, some time smashing it into things I already know to see what falls out.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
yeah. i also do that a lot. but i sometimes read everything i need to know, then i write a summary of it all

i just highlight random words with a highlighter pen.

and later go back to it and later think... fuck im screwed.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It depends on what kind of studying it is.

If it's forced studying, I can only learn it if I already know the stuff that's required to learn it, and if nothing distracts my "concentration state" (which happens very easily because of attention deficit disorder). I was taken out of school, because I wasn't able to learn the material, because the teachers' methods were screaming and being butthurt, and that made me depressed, and I lost the motivation. I'm still having difficulties learning the old material that was "thought" in school, but damn, I learned 68 pages of biology stuff in less than six hours that usually takes ~a month for my classmates to learn ('cuz school is soooo frickin' slow :angry:). And I learned 100% of it the second time I went thru' it. Usually this is how I learn forced stuff:
I reassemble a small logical portion of the material 's text in my head, and I go through the words carefully. After I learned it, I wiew the images that belong to the next small portion of material, and I repeat this until the end of the medium portion that contains these smaller portions.
After I finish a medium portion, I re-read it fast, but I still interpret what I'm reading. After this, I take a look on the images, and I think about what the image says, and I try to "bind" most of the material to it by "logical equations". And I repeat this until the end of the material.
After I learned all the stuff in the material, I go thru' all the images again, and if I forgot something, I still know where to search for the stuff I forgot, I learn it "again", and basically I learned the material :P In reality, it's much more complicated as I described it here.

But if I don't know something by doing my own stuff, depending on how fast I find the answer, I may learn it instantly forever :P Or if it's a programming/mathematical problem, I just pop up a Lua shell/Visual Studio, depending on the complexity of the problem, and I find the solution for the problem by myself, and I'll use the solution from that on in all my projects :P

So yeah... attention deficit disorder can be a b**ch (in school at least), but it can help me learn stuff faster when I'm peacfully at home :teach:

Last edited by Sono,
Reactions: VinsCool

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well. i don't usually study. i know a lot of what they are teaching this year. school is pretty easy. i do my homework i pay attention, and when its time to take a test.... i read over every review sheet I've got in the first 10 minutes of class.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Just read the textbook, do assignments, work my way through a workbook... depends on what it is really.

Edit: I answer this through the eyes and mind of one who's basically finished with a masters degree in science and engineering.

Maths? You need hands on experience with that (and a lot of reading).
Programming? Well you'll need hands on experience there as well.
History, literature, social studies or whatever it's called: Just a lot of reading.
Language? reading, understanding, writing, listening, speaking...

Last edited by Issac,

Jwiz33

Banned
Trophies
in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
Website
iwillcleanyourbasement.webstarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Lock all of my electronic devices in my locker at school over the weekend and overstudy the textbook at home.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

well. i don't usually study. i know a lot of what they are teaching this year. school is pretty easy. i do my homework i pay attention, and when its time to take a test.... i read over every review sheet I've got in the first 10 minutes of class.
How the
upload_2015-12-11_20-42-27.png
do you do that? What grade are you in? lol

bannana2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually take the time to organize myself. Everyone has their own methods, but I date everything I have and put the old stuff in a folder. I keep my worksheets and lab notes separate from corrections, homework, tests etc. Once you get the time to study I suggest 3-4 hours of studying a day; read the chapter 2-3 times and do homework. Don't push yourself too hard and a good teacher never hurts. The teacher's job is to help guide you in your studying habits, and keep you motivated to learning. I have an Associates Degree and half a Bachelors degree so I know how to study by now. These are just general pointers. I have more specific ones if you need to know more.

Last edited by bannana2,
Reactions: nxwing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i know this isn't the place but does/did anybody have the same issue as me?