How do you save in New Super Mario Brothers

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by blade85, Apr 7, 2007.

Apr 7, 2007
  1. blade85
    OP

Member blade85 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    After i beat world 1-1 and 1-2, i turn it off and then when i turn my ds back on, i have to start over again from 1-1

When i go to the map screen and press start, i dont see a save option

Do i have to beat it world by world in order to save? Or is it just a bad rom that i have?

Help me please [​IMG]

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    You don't get to save anywhere you want until after you beat the game. Until then, you must beat a castle/fortress/tower/whatever they are, or pay 5 coins to open a path. When you do that it will ask if you want to save.

3. blade85
    OP

United States
    oh i see, thanks man

4. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    and that is, in my oppinion, bad game design....
    In some games, I think it's okay... (like an RPG, it is okay but annoying)
    in action games, I think it's good with a few check points during each level, so one can't save after each enemy... [​IMG]

but like this... MUST complete a fortress (or unlock path)... that's just bad...

5. blade85
    OP

United States
    Yeah i know, its just really annoying, im probably not gonna play it anymore

6. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    you're not going to play it because of that?

7. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    I agree that it's annoying that you can't save at any time, but that hardly seems like a big enough reason to pass up one of the bast platformers on the system.

Anyway, unless you really suck at the game, you should always have enough big coins to spend on a save.

8. blade85
    OP

United States
    I dont like being forced to play a certain amount so that i can save. Ill try it out again some other time maybe but for now, ill play some other game.

9. 111111111

Member 111111111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Zimbabwe
    It's fucking annoying when you only have 5mins to play so you put it on quick, complete a level or two and get the big coins then are unable to save.

One of the reasons I stopped playing it - I was considering just doing the minimum to complete it (warp from world 1 to world 5, from world 5 to world 8) just so I could save anywhere. But I figured: why bother, there are plenty of other games to play where I don't have to go through the shenanigans just to do something as simple as saving.

10. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Hehe I'm with blade. I bought that game and pushed it probably 80% through or so, but I just stopped. I get time here n' there to play, but the motivation died over the saving routine alone. The game is amazing, but it sucks having to hit a point or get screwed and have to do it over again if it has to be shut off. VERY bad design for a portable game...fair game for a console though. Portables are about portability, quick play, ease of starting and stopping... the save it denies that.

11. Gene98

Member Gene98 GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    U can save anywhere after u finish last boss=>Just run to him, kill him and only after that try to beat this game 100%

12. TanookiSuit

United States
    Yes that is a work around of sorts, but also unacceptable as you still need to do a speed run or whatever you want to call it through the boss. Someone doing the stages their first time through probably won't in most cases have that luck to finish it so fast.

13. Gene98

Member Gene98 GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    U can finish game in few hours with help of big cannon teleport. But of course its hard to find them... I done so when my g6 crashed and i lost all my saves.
    PS
    srr 4 my bad ENG. I realize how bad is it (=

14. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    yeh.. Im not a fan of nsmb, the only way I played it was with a 100% sav file, so I could save when I wanted

what the hell were they thinking, I remember they actually had to put instructions on how to save in a nintendo power article, they knew they fucked up, someone better have got axed

15. TanookiSuit

United States
    ^^You got a valid point there that I forgot about. NP theoretically apologized for that stupidity by explaining how saves work and so on in their comments on how to deal with it.

I honestly have to say I really do want to finish the game but I have zero motivation to do so thanks to the saving routine ALONE. Just like any Mario game that first time or two through the stages are moderate to hard and need work, and well...when you can't even off a game over freely continue, have an easy access warp zone (smb1->4 all had em), or some more considerate save ability it's just a hassle.

16. Unlimited

Newcomer Unlimited Member

United Kingdom
    I find mario to be very slippery in this game i dont like it, reminds me of Mario 2

17. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    when i played the game i just put the DS lite in sleep mode and then returned when i wanted to finish where i started it off, thats the best way to do it imo.

i've completed the game 100% ages ago now, great game.

18. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    so, conclusion of the above statements:
    This game sucks....
    I hate it so much, I'd rather have a buffalo..... no.. wait.. ah... screw that.

Haha, no... Well the "no save for you mister" function sucks...
    but the rest is okay... though... i found it rather boring.

This was boring, Yoshis island DS was too.... advanced.. (I can't stand it when you have to replay levels with different characters to get 100p... and too big levels and hidden stuff... normally i'd like it.. but not in this game)

and mario vs. donkey kong.. do I need to say it? It's just not fun!

let's face it... the games were better back in the day... plain and simple.... (Though, it didn't have save at all (the first ones))

19. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    nope, perfect controls, they were just fine, maybe you didn't know how to use them.

20. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    well, I actually said stuff like "Haha, no..." because I was joking.. [​IMG] (and trying to make a cheap poor copycat-thingy of angry video game (nintendo) nerd.. [​IMG])

But sure, I do hate that you can't save.. especially now, it's the 21st century... or.. to be a tad more specific.. its 2007 (2006 when this came)...

the old super mario's hadn't really gotten to the phenomena "Saving" yet...

and my main complaint to this game was, as I stated above, that I found this boring, whilst i dont think the old ones are.. [​IMG]