How do you replace a wii fan?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by UKTone, Oct 19, 2009.

Oct 19, 2009

How do you replace a wii fan? by UKTone at 2:49 PM (1,793 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. UKTone
    OP

Member UKTone GBAtemp Regular

United States
    On a website I seen one for $20 (not sure how much the tax and/or the shipping was/is), and I don't know what screwdrivers I need, I have none of my own so how do I get them and which ones do I need?

If I could get lowe's, home depot, ebay, or etc. links with the items I need, that would be great.

2. Sir_Shaggy

Member Sir_Shaggy GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    To open up a Wii you will need a phillips screwdriver and a tri-wing screwdriver. The tri-wing is sold online through many of the mod chip sites.

3. ften

Member ften GBAtemp Regular

Bangladesh
    They also sell tri-wing screw driver bits in security bit sets. I just picked up this set at micro-center for 20 bucks, which is a pretty good deal for this size of a set.
    http://www.micro-center.com/single_product...duct_id=0273766

If you don't have a Micro Center try Radio Shack or a Frys.

-FTen

4. UKTone
    OP

United States
    In the opening/souldering sticky (weird I didn't see it earlier) said I need a small philips screwdriver, what size is that?
    Also what is a cutter tool, what is it for, and what is a good one? Do I need one for this?
    Also what size do I need, 1 or 3, the sticky didn't make it clear enough, and said ebay has size 3 (their .99 on ebay from hong kong and 2.09 from north american/us sellers). Do I need both? On ebay they don't say what size it is, at least I don't think so.

Also what do I need to do with the fan to make it work? Is the fan souldered, screwed on, or what?

5. ften

Member ften GBAtemp Regular

Bangladesh
    Q1. The best phillips head to use is a #00 size, although if you can't find a #00, a #0 should work with a little pressure.

Q2. The cutting tool is used to pry up the feet and strickers that hide the screws. I use a tiny flat tip for that, but really you can use what ever you think will pry it up with the least amount of damage.

Q3: Although there are multipule size screws used in the Wii the #00 size phillips and a tri-wing should take care of all your screw needs. I'm not sure what 1 and 3 refer to but if you send me a link and I can tell you what it means.

Q4: The fan is a two wire plug-in fan. So all you need to do to make a replacement work is to plug it in. See below;
    [​IMG]

-FTen

6. UKTone
    OP

United States
    Cool, thanks for clearing all that up for me.