How do you remove the april fools joke from preloader?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ThE MaSTeR 3, Jul 31, 2009.

1. ThE MaSTeR 3
    OP

Member ThE MaSTeR 3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well I followed the "ultimate" guide to update to a hacked 4.1 and everything went fine. They recommended installing preloader so I did. Days later I find out the 29 version of preloader (that was in the "ultimate" guide) has a stupid april fools day joke built into it. This is the shadiest thing I have ever seen. First thing I did when I heard about this was change my clock to april 1st 2010 and sure enough the "joke" goes to work when I boot up the Wii.

Can this be turned off with the hacks.ini? Or better yet a clean way to remove this bootleg safety net called preloader from my wii. Who knows what other jokes this dev had up his sleeve format usb hdd on christmas??

2. antonkan

Member antonkan GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Hmm... according to WiiBrew, Preloader will brick your Wii during Arpil Fools day (April 1). Try reinstalling Preloader to do that. You'll have Preloader until the month of April! LOL! [​IMG]

3. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If I'm not mistaken, you can easily bypass the April Fool's joke by pressing A. It can't be that bothersome, right?

4. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    One day a year you have to press a extra button.

Forget about it.

5. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The problem is that silly people do silly things like removing their IOS's in response to this joke.

6. Lexip;

Member Lexip; GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Still pisses me off

7. FenrirWolf

United States
    It's why I'm glad I have bootmii/boot2 so I can just use StartPatch for system menu patches.

8. mdmachine

Newcomer mdmachine Member

United States
    Seriously... If you don't like it, and its that big of a deal. Write your own "preloader" or hire someone to do so.

Otherwise... deal with it... Its free and it works FFS. lol

MD

9. FenrirWolf

United States
    I don't have to deal with it. So there. =P

10. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    The author has a sense of humour. Many other programs that are written have some hidden easter egg that can happen on a special day, or if you do something in a certain sequence.

I honestly don't think it's worth the effort trying to remove that little inconvenience. If there were any other ~secrets~ in preloader they would have been discovered by now.

11. ThE MaSTeR 3
    OP

United States
    I cant it bothers me too much! Its one thing to have it do it once on 4/1/09 but to make it so it does it every april 1st makes it seem like some kind of trojan installed on your wii.

Can someone clarify the joke? Some people said they couldnt use the wii for the entire day. When I tested it all I did was press A a few times to bypass it.

What really bothers me is I didnt need to install this (especially since I have a modchip that can do the same tweaks) and now that I research it more I find out its almost impossible to remove!

12. timtlm

Newcomer timtlm Advanced Member

United States
    I agree. I uninstalled preloader after I found this out. I would have probably kept it, but then I realized that it was set to do it again in 2010.. Chances are we will need a new preloader by then, though. I want nice clean programs running on my wii. Easter eggs are great. They are cool things that you want to find. Annoyances are annoying.

13. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    No, you can remove Preloader.

14. Nintendo_Chick

Member Nintendo_Chick GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If I was you I would just throw away my wii. I mean if one day out of the year I have to press A an extra time when using preloader, its not worth having.

15. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    It's real easy to remove preloader. Reinstalling the system menu is one way to prevent it from loading back up. If you feel that way about preloader, I suggest you remove all homebrew from your Wii. Light only knows what other malicious code these people who spend their free time programming these apps release. [​IMG]

16. Mark McDonut

Member Mark McDonut GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I lol'd

17. ThE MaSTeR 3
    OP

United States
    I dont have the system menu wad anymore. im sure if I messed with it I would brick my wii. Then the preloader dev would really be laughing his ass off.

18. gilaben

Newcomer gilaben Advanced Member

United States
    I have a feeling I'll be getting alot of phone calls next April... What a stupid joke.

19. Logan

Member Logan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I'd actually be intrigued to know whats the easiest way of removing PreLoader? I know if I use DOP-IOS to reinstall IOS60 then that'll remove PreLoader. However I've also read doing that, without reinstalling PreLoader, will potentially brick your Wii.

So what is the answer?

20. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    The Yasu DS menu had a similar April Fools joke where all the text showed up reversed. It caused a worldwide stock market crash and people were jumping out of windows and committing hari kari 0.o

As for the preloader, its not that big a deal to change the Wiis date for the day, or press A an extra time or two.=)