How do you rate the London Olympics Opening Ceremony

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by narrateP, Jul 28, 2012.

1. narrateP
    OP

Newcomer narrateP Member

Turkey
    How do think the London Olympics Opening Ceremony? as a sport enthusiast, I really want to how do you think about it when you compare it with 29th Olympic game in Beijing and the former one in Athens.

2. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It was absolute shit, bring back the Chinese kids

It was cool that Romney went apeshit off the deep-end before the hoopla

3. chains_of_androm

Member chains_of_androm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think Barcelona had the best one, where they shot a flaming arrow to lit the torch thingy.

1 person likes this.
  4. dorayaki95

Newcomer dorayaki95 Member

Malaysia
    haven't watch it yet as the event was aired live in 3am at my timezone, so I couldn't rate it * sigh*. I couldn't find a full video coverage of it online. Anyone has
    the link to the full video coverage?

5. Yumi

Member Yumi Yo Soy Bulleta!!!

Mexico
    Nice colors, bright flashes, many countries representing and coming together (well those with money of course) but TV/Internet does the trick. Enjoyable if you love the Olympics of course. ^_^

Mr. Bean was the most notable for many, i assume. o.o

6. Chikaku-chan

Member Chikaku-chan ᏁᎽᎪ~

Australia
    Not as good as previous ones but if you didn't compare it to the previous ones it was pretty amazing

7. rizzod

Member rizzod Not a New Member

Australia
    Just no. Utter crap.

Mr Bean was stole the show.

1 person likes this.
  8. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    What?! I thought it was excellent! Different than the perfect 2008 ones, where everything was incredibly precise and samey. That one was better than 2012, for sure, more impressive, but this was one was really good too!
    I just love spectacles like this, with no limits whatsoever, wow. Really enjoyed myself. Props to everyone involved.

1 person likes this.
  9. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    The first 20 mins of it was pathetic, However the rest of it was actually pretty good. I was expecting worse.

The part with that guy hugging the little boy was stupid aswel and I forgot what that singer is called that was singing during it but she was terrible.

I also forgot about dizzee rascal, Whoever decided to even let that twat inside the stadium needs shot.

10. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Was Hatsune Miku there? If not, then the opening was shit.

11. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I didn't care to watch it. I've always found opening and closing ceremonies to be a waste of time in sporting events.

12. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I have to admit it was a lot better than I had imagined it would be. Plus you got to see a member of the royal family unceremoniously hurled from an aircraft. Which is something we've all thought of, surely?

2 people like this.
  13. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    The best part was when Bond went to collect the Queen.

14. keran22

Newcomer keran22 Member

United States
    I think the bit with James Bond and the Queen was really, really unique. It was a celebration of all that is British culture, more or less... at least the bits that have been successful internationally. It had good ups and downs, and the petals forming the cauldron at the end was cool. The only mistake was when Paul McCartney accidentally got out of sync with the backing track. Other than that, i'd call it a pretty successful spectacle.

15. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Coudnt care less.

16. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I liked the bit when the huge robotic Maggie Thatcher knocked down all the chimneys and breathed fire on the workers.

1 person likes this.
  17. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    I thought it was pretty good save for the social media part and some of the dancing was a bit of a mess.

It had a lot of British back culture and history that I think maybe went over a lot of foreign viewers heads.

2 people like this.
  18. Flame

Member Flame Me > You

I think the bond and queen part was great.

19. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    I think the beginning part with Brunel and the transformation of the English countryside due to the industrial revolution and the forging of the rings should have been at the end as it was pretty epic and after that nothing else really had as much impact. The rings being forged and raised up was an obvious and dramatic way to end the show and instead the final part was a solemn dance thing which was a downer.

It did drag on a bit too and there were definitely pacing problems and personally I found the inclusion of Mr Bean completely cringe worthy. Seriously this was supposed to reflect the best of the UK's history and culture and one of those things is supposed to be Mr Bean? Urgh I guess it was just supposed to be a fun little segment, but when so many other of the UK's achievements were omitted and this included instead it just stank of pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Anyway so yeah, the start was great and I was really impressed up until the rings were forged but after that it dragged on, was a bit hit and miss and was really far far too long. But all in all it was much better than I expected it to be.

20. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    I watched the whole thing start to finish and thought it was done really well. Some of it was a bit bizarre but it was totally British and I think Danny Boyle did a great job.
    I loved the Mr. bean part (think everyone did!) and also the Queen and James Bond lol and the huge Voldemort. The 5 Olympic ring firework thingy was awesome too and the lights that were behind every single seat were just amazing and added great effects.

2 people like this.