How Do You Play .nds Games on Gateway on N3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ofDragons, Jun 22, 2015.

1. ofDragons
    OP

ofDragons Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2015
    United States
    I know you use the blue cart but what do you do with it?

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    install the bluecardfix.cia to sysnand, then use it exactly the same you would use any other NDS flashcard (drag .nds files onto it)

PS it will only work on sysnand (without entering GW mode)

3. ofDragons
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2015
    United States
    Where is the sysnand?

4. usernametaken

usernametaken GBAtemp Maniac

May 13, 2015
    United States
    The default firmware / what you boot into normally.

5. ofDragons
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2015
    United States
    So I basically install it on the micro sd card that comes with the N3DS?

6. usernametaken

May 13, 2015
    United States
    http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/288767-TUTORIAL-Downgrade-N3DS-MSET-*proper-way*

You can use that guide, just following the parts you haven't done. But yeah you put the bluecardfix on the internal mSD and install it with Devmenu

After that if you've put all the files needed on the blue card, then you can run NDS games. After running a NDS game it'll wipe the profile exploit, so you'll have to reapply it, but now you can do it with the blue card.

or

You can make the exploit 'stick' by doing this:

7. ofDragons
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2015
    United States
    Oh ok, thank you!

8. ofDragons
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2015
    United States
    Hey I'm having trouble opening that link. It won't open sadly. :/

9. usernametaken

May 13, 2015
    United States
    The site is down atm. I had copied the tut to word prior though. (This was before 3.2.1) Not much is different other than you can boot into Sysnand by holding down (B) when you press (A) to boot into emunand. You do this in order to launch devmenu to install the cia file to sysnand.

Edit: This link should open for you right now. It's googles cache version for when the page is down. :) http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...S-MSET-*proper-way*+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

10. ofDragons
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2015
    United States
    oh ok thank you. but when it says downgrade what does that exactly mean? will i be able to play 3ds roms still? all of this is new to me, sorry for my noobiness

11. usernametaken

May 13, 2015
    United States
    The Mset on the N3ds will be lowered to 4.5 which is the downgrade part. Doing so allows you to boot into gateway menu / mode using the profile exploit instead of having to use cubic ninja or oot every time you wan to start up emunand.

Do make sure that you follow the guide correctly and make a backup of your Sysnand if you haven't done so already though. It is possible to brick your N3ds in this process. If that were to happen you could always restore the sysnand from the backup if you hardmod it though.

Long as you follow the guide you'll be fine though.

12. ofDragons
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2015
    United States
    is the mset my firmware? im currently on 9.0.0. or something completely different? are there any downsides to downgrading?

13. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    The downsides are lower game compatibility.

14. ofDragons
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2015
    United States
    oh i see

15. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    I don't think the mset gives you lower game compatibility. You're only downgrading the system settings, you're not downgrading the whole machine.

kheldar likes this.
  16. usernametaken

May 13, 2015
    United States
    No, there is no downside to downgrading the Mset. It does not affect your ability to play games either.

You can currently update emunand to 9.5 on the N3ds which can play all but 1 game that is out. There may be a problem with future games if gateway doesn't figure out how to update the N3ds' emunand though.

Mset does not affect your FW version, you'll still be on 9.0

17. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    mset is the System Settings app, not the entire firmware. It'll still report 9.0.0, but you'll have the System Settings program from 4.x. It does not affect game compatibility, but System Settings will be missing features added afterwards, such as Super Stable 3D and Wifi SD Card Management. (Super Stable still works, you just can't change the settings.) Also, this only affects sysNand, as emuNand will still have the 9.x System Settings app, and thus have those settings and everything.