Hacking How do you play GBA games on an R4 card ?

Momoro

The Dark One
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As discussed in the rest of the thread, you can use gbarunner2, but it doesn't always work very well, and certainly not as well as injections made with NSUI.

Right, forgot about NSUI :lol:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do not get the Omega Jr for the GBA, it can't use cheats.

Nah, I'm just getting an R4 3DS Gold Pro SDHC 2020 Card. I think it has a time bomb, though :rofl2:

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Right, forgot about NSUI :lol:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nah, I'm just getting an R4 3DS Gold Pro SDHC 2020 Card. I think it has a time bomb, though :rofl2:

Pretty sure any card with a year on the label does. However, there are plenty of ways around that. It's usually best to use RetroGameFan's Multi Cart Update or TWiLight Menu++ instead of the stock firmware anyway at this point. I've had a few issues with the latter but I believe that to be because my family of cards (DSTT/DSTTi) is known to have some issues with TWLMenu++ currently.

Also, the other guy was right to say NSUI is a better option. The GBA "VC" mode on 3DS has perfect compatibility outside of games that require Slot-2 shenanigans to function as far as I know.

Momoro

The Dark One
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure any card with a year on the label does. However, there are plenty of ways around that. It's usually best to use RetroGameFan's Multi Cart Update or TWiLight Menu++ instead of the stock firmware anyway at this point. I've had a few issues with the latter but I believe that to be because my family of cards (DSTT/DSTTi) is known to have some issues with TWLMenu++ currently.

Also, the other guy was right to say NSUI is a better option. The GBA "VC" mode on 3DS has perfect compatibility outside of games that require Slot-2 shenanigans to function as far as I know.

Yeah, I just used NSUI to inject a Pokemon Firered ROM, and it's working perfectly. (Although saving is a little spotty :mellow:)

Um, what do you mean RetroGameFan's Multi Cart Update --YSMenu? From what I've seen, it has low game support, correct me if I'm wrong.

And, how do I use TWilight Menu++ instead of the stock firmware? I've never heard of this before :lol:

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I just used NSUI to inject a Pokemon Firered ROM, and it's working perfectly. (Although saving is a little spotty :mellow:)

Um, what do you mean RetroGameFan's Multi Cart Update --YSMenu? From what I've seen, it has low game support, correct me if I'm wrong.

And, how do I use TWilight Menu++ instead of the stock firmware? I've never heard of this before :lol:

RGF's fork of YSMenu works with pretty much every game in its current iteration, and hasn't had many compatibility issues for quite some time: https://gbatemp.net/download/retrogamefan-multi-cart-update.35737/

As for TWiLightMenu, read here:
https://github.com/DS-Homebrew/TWiLightMenu/wiki/installing-(flashcard)
and for updating, read here:
https://github.com/DS-Homebrew/TWiLightMenu/wiki/updating-(flashcard)

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,

Momoro

The Dark One
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Matty-

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I read in another post that you have to download a certain file to be able to play GBA games on an R4 card

I didn't want to butt into that post just for asking that person so I thought it would be better to make my own post about that

This is what they said

So can you really play GBA games on your R4 card after downloading this file and how do you actually get it to work, do you have to insert the games to this file, place them below it or put the file with the GBA games in its own folder ?

Thanks in advance
Thanks but, do you know if can use the r4 card as normal and switch between ds games and gba games? 🙂
Post automatically merged:

I read in another post that you have to download a certain file to be able to play GBA games on an R4 card

I didn't want to butt into that post just for asking that person so I thought it would be better to make my own post about that

This is what they said

So can you really play GBA games on your R4 card after downloading this file and how do you actually get it to work, do you have to insert the games to this file, place them below it or put the file with the GBA games in its own folder ?

Thanks in advance
And i assume this will work on a dsi too?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Thanks but, do you know if can use the r4 card as normal and switch between ds games and gba games? 🙂
You simply load GBARunner2 like any DS homebrew/game, then load the GBA games from there. Or you can use TWiLight Menu++ and load both from the same menu.

And i assume this will work on a dsi too?
It will work for a DSi too, in fact it works better on DSi with CFW than from a flashcard.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a 3DS you don't to run GBA games through your R4 card, just emulate them using TWiLight Menu++

https://www.cfwaifu.com/twilight-menu-3ds/

1. Please don't link cfwaifu; they just copy paste our guides while remaining outdated
2. That wasn't the question; the question was for an R4 card
3. TWiLight doesn't emulate anything; it's just an app index
4. Lastly, if you're on 3DS, just use open_agb_firm. It has much better performance.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

KimKong

Game Developer / Graphic Artist / Musician
Trophies
Website
skrap-klan.itch.io
XP
Country
Norway
1. Please don't link cfwaifu; they just copy paste our guides while remaining outdated
2. That wasn't the question; the question was for an R4 card
3. TWiLight doesn't emulate anything; it's just an app index
4. Lastly, if you're on 3DS, just use open_agb_firm. It has much better performance.
Alright, I didn't know that site was such a sore point..
Also please stop numbering your "answers" when replying to people. You look like a jerk and it's read as a joke..
Post automatically merged:

I've tried contacting them about removing the guide and having them link to ours instead, but I have not heard back from them.
https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/installing-3ds
Are you talking about me? You never tried to contact me about anything..

Reactions: SylverReZ

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also please stop numbering your "answers" when replying to people. You look like a jerk and it's read as a joke..
Well, how should I display multiple (3+) different points in an easy to read way? Use the word "also" repeatedly? Weave them into a paragraph? That would imply that each point would have a relation to each other, yet none of those fit. They're each independent of each other, which is also why I'm confused as to how it makes my statement "a joke".
Also, when have I done it before here? I cannot recall the last time I've ever done that here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr