How do you play disc based games above fw 5.05 without updating firmware

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Is it possible to play disc based games that require firmware higher than 5.05 without having to update the firmware?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only way is for you to download a fpkg of the game and possibly a backport. those games were dumped on higher firmware to begin with.

Reactions: KiiWii

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only way is for you to download a fpkg of the game and possibly a backport. those games were dumped on higher firmware to begin with.
Ahh so its likely ill have to grab and external and download my games.

For once i wasnt planning on pirating, i had a quick google and looks like there is a pkgi for ps4.

So best get saving and grab a decent hdd.

Sods law, whej i bought it pre modded i never got round to using it for over a year and half due to chemo.

Then went to go on it and it was fucked, fan wasnt working and it would over heat and turn off.

Luckily got someone to fix it, but found the disc drive had stopped working so hopefully its just the case of it maybe not plugged in properly when the guy stripped my ps4 and gave the board a full clean.

If not, then i guess digital is my only option.

I only wanted it to play my older games with cheats, found a nice app i can apply from my mobile.

Going to look to see what other cheat tools are about as some codes are limited so i wonder if there is a site for them, back on the ps3 i used to use codemastersproject, but it went down sometime ago.

So no idea where is good to look gor both ps3/ps4.

Definitely want to get back into my ps3 gaming, used to love that console.

Might start off with mgs4 again, but cant find working codes for v1.1, so maybe go back to base version and not have trophies and have to install each chapter as you get to it, which used to be a bore.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stuff with the ps4 is getting extremely easy for me, so I can help you with dumping games if that's what you want. most things with the ps4 are not hard (definitely more difficult than the ps3), but time-consuming. it could take hours to dump a game to actually having it installed on your system.

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stuff with the ps4 is getting extremely easy for me, so I can help you with dumping games if that's what you want. most things with the ps4 are not hard (definitely more difficult than the ps3), but time-consuming. it could take hours to dump a game to actually having it installed on your system.
Yea i figured as its still web exploits rather than a cfw, hopefully when the ps4 is phased out maybe it'll get a cfw when its not going to get sony lawyers on their back.

So all games need to be in a pkg formant as ive looked at a private torrent site i use and they have iso formats i think.

I guess ill habe to check what firmware my games need before trying to play them.

I did have a quick look at my ps4 and the guy had an app that could spoof firmware.

Not sure if thats any good but i also noticed on the hdd it had crash bandicoot n sane trillogy which works (foreign language) and im sure thats higher than 5.05.

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well turns out i find my disc drive has stopped working, had a guy try fix it by putting another drive in.

The drive will accept the disc but the disc icon will keep flashing on the top right corner and thats it, it wont boot the game.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well turns out i find my disc drive has stopped working, had a guy try fix it by putting another drive in.

The drive will accept the disc but the disc icon will keep flashing on the top right corner and thats it, it wont boot the game.

Think you need to swap the daughterboard of the drive in order for it to work.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think you need to swap the daughterboard of the drive in order for it to work.
yes, there's an error for this that someone yesterday couldn't get out of for some reason. think it's like CE-38xxx. or something like that. you can find the exact error on dev wiki, which is taken from the sdk, so you'll know for sure what's wrong as it's not hackers speculating but direct from sony themselves what the errors mean.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, there's an error for this that someone yesterday couldn't get out of for some reason. think it's like CE-38xxx. or something like that. you can find the exact error on dev wiki, which is taken from the sdk, so you'll know for sure what's wrong as it's not hackers speculating but direct from sony themselves what the errors mean.

Pretty sure he need a matching set also, based on this

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/560618/Is+the+Optical+Drive+Daughterboard+swappable

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's possible maybe that the disc drive doesn't have any firmware on it. I know that at least with the ps3, what firmware packages it installs, including bd and bt, are governed by the upl.xml, which is part of the firmware pup. I don't know if it's the same on the ps4. all I know about ps4 update pups is that there are several pups, perhaps one being a checksum, inside the main pup to prevent tampering like what happened with the ps3. just my guess anyway.

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure. there's no error present.
Ive put a video what he sent me of the disc icon just keeps flashing when he inserts a game disc.

I thought maybe the games he is trying is a higher firmware than 5.05 so i sent him my game that i had previously installed when i quickly tested the console when i first bought it

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it will most likely ask you for the update. I think ps4 games contain updates but if you were to use a fpkg without it, it would error iirc.

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure. there's no error present.
Ive put a video what he sent me of the disc icon just keeps flashing when he inserts a game disc.

I thought maybe the games he is trying is a higher firmware than 5.05 so i sent him my game that i had previously installed when i quickly tested the console when i first bought it

But he has looked again and says my drive doesnt have this board nor does the one he has tried.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, my guess is that it's missing firmware, but reinstalling 5.05 might cause the system to get into a boot loop if it doesn't recognize the drive. I don't really know.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, the bd firmware, at least with the ps3, is dev_flash3 iirc. dev_flash1 is dev_blind, dev_flash2 is misc., and dev_flash3 is bd firmware. not sure how it's laid out with the ps4.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr